+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Help required] I need your opinions about Warrior & Cleric tanks.

Soulwalker

Default [Help required] I need your opinions about Warrior & Cleric tanks.

Hello everyone,

it's been a while since I haven't played a MMO. But I really missed it, so I've choose to start again with Rift, a game that I find really interesting ^^.

Long story short. I've always played tank, at a good PvE lvl (on WoW, i've tanked & cleaned every PvE content from Vanilla to Cataclysm). So i'm going again for tanking.

I have a final objectif, be a hardcore PvE Tank.

So, I have 3 questions for you, if you don't mind to answer it ^^.

What are the Pros & the Cons of the Cleric & the War tank ?
    Is there one of them really better at hight level, or it will depend of the encounter ?
    For what I know, Warrior seems to deal more damage, but is less better at multi-tanking than the Cleric, is there anything else that is should know, providing what i already know is correct ? ^^

Thanks you all for you answer.

Cleric:

- better CDs
    - better aoe threat management
    - can sacrifice damage to heal (doctrine of bliss)

best build: 61justicar/6shaman/6inquisitor

Warrior:

- one great CD (lifes rapture)
    - slightly higher damage
    - utility

best build: 61paladin/15reaver

Soulwalker

Thank for the anwser !

That was approximatively what I've understood by looking on other thread about these 2 classes.

Juste 1 question : what de you mean by "utility" about the warrior ?

Quote Originally Posted by Franekovitch View Post
    Thank for the anwser !

That was approximatively what I've understood by looking on other thread about these 2 classes.

Juste 1 question : what de you mean by "utility" about the warrior ?

cleanse, purge enemy buffs, aoe taunt/summon, aoe stun, aoe silence/debilitate, able to reflect spells back to attacker

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    cleanse, purge enemy buffs, aoe taunt/summon, aoe stun, aoe silence/debilitate, able to reflect spells back to attacker
    Wow, it seems like the Warrior is far above the Cleric Tank in this case, no ?
    Or the constant healing from the Cleric can counter this ?

Are they both good in HL Raid, or one of them is really more effective & needed ?

Wow, it seems like the Warrior is far above the Cleric Tank in this case, no?
    Not really. Most of that utility currently resides in Void Knight, which has significantly worse mitigation than the other tanking souls (although that'll change when Vladd finishes up the warrior tank rework).

Also, much of that utility is useless on many raid bosses. Most adds, for instance, are immune to stuns/debilitates.

Or the constant healing from the Cleric can counter this?
    The fact that cleric tanks have a battle rez helps to balance things out.

Are they both good in HL Raid, or one of them is really more effective & needed?
    They're both good. In most situations, tanks are more or less interchangeable. On bleeding-edge hardcore progression, you might end up favoring a certain tank composition, but even then, essentially every guild will have at least one tank of every calling, since that way all of your tanks are better geared. (If you try to have, say, four rogue tanks, they'd all be competing for the same leather tanking gear drops, whereas if you have one of each class, they each have their own armor type and only compete for stuff like trinkets).

Basically, pick whichever calling you enjoy the most. Bear in mind, however, that you will be expected and required to play other roles as well. Like I said, groups have four tanks, but most bosses only require 2 tanks, so what'll usually happen is that you take the two tanks that are best-suited to a particular encounter, and the other two play other specs, most often DPS.
    Last edited by Muspel; 07-22-2014 at 05:47 AM.

forgot to mention clerics have battle res

Soulwalker

Ok, thank you both for the fast & really comprehensive answers.

It seems after all of that, that both tanks are good, and i should more base my choice on what I prefer about the classe, and, maybe, the other specs.

Really thank you both to be so helpfull ^^.

+ Reply to Thread