+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Caeus

Thread: Non-tanks pulling, wiping group?

Soulwalker

Default Non-tanks pulling, wiping group?

So I've been in multiple instances where the non-tank has been pulling and without a doubt, we eventually wipe. I always get a little upset. Is this because people are impatient or is it normal to always be engaging 1-2 packs at a time?

I guess my biggest pet peeve is I'm usually the tank and it always happens without warning, and I always end up getting threat eventually, but then dying because there's too many. I feel like the person pulling is some impatient person leveling an alt pushing me to my limit without thinking about how much the repair bill will be on my soul. My last convo was something like this

Me: "I died, Don't pull too much"
    Healer: "Then pull faster"
    Me: "It's my repair bill not yours"
    Healer: "Then go faster, #($#!"

Me: \leave

If he had told me how many packs to do at once and asked me, then I would have tried to keep pulling that many, but I felt very offended that I had died and they didn't seem to even care. The fact that the number of packs they expected me to handle seemed to go up as we went on is why I left in light of this.

Who is doing this? New players or experienced? I'm newish and don't have a max level char yet, so I don't really know what's expected, but I'm tired of seeing groupmates do this, even when I'm not tanking. I think it's irresponsible. Insult to injury is getting the "abandoned group" debuff. And really, the person telling the tank to take more should be the healer.

If you are the tank, you do the pulls. Every now and then you will get grouped with some trigger happy dps, but if he pulls stuff on purpose, try forgetting where your taunt button is, untill he dies.

If the healer insist you should pull more, do so. If he can keep you alive it's all good, if not, it's his fault, as he was the one who wanted more enemies ;]
    Last edited by McBonY; 07-17-2014 at 01:01 AM.

Rift Chaser

Well, for one thing, once you get a group in most/all dungeon gear, you should be able to pull more and bigger groups.

HOWEVER.

Like McBonY said, if you're the tank, you do the pulls. You know when your cool downs are up (you are using them for trash too?) And if they don't like it, leave or ask to be kicked. You can inspect the healer, and see how many purples he has. That's not a real good indication of his healing, more an indication of what his potential might be. Ask in chat if they don't mind a bigger pull. Even with slow and steady, a dungeon should go fast enough.

Also, if someone is particularly annoying, /ignore them, and the que won't try to match you up with them next time.

Rift Chaser

in a raid/dungeon its is the tanks responsibility for pulling although a group of experienced players may break this rule if they are running together as they know the group can handle it.

realistically the speed of a run is largely dependant on the tank and then the healer second. if the tank feels they can pull more they will and if the healer cant handle it then the tank should slow down until they find a comfortable medium for both of them. sadly this is a tough concept for most PUG's and will not go this smoothly but I would suggest finding a guild in these situations.

Like McBonY said letting them die is one way to teach them not to pull, although this causes arguments in some PUG's, as we use that method in raids to teach newer players that get trigger happy. letting them die then saving everyone else, slowly they learn and stop rushing ahead. we keep a kind of moto in our guild and that is "if you initiate the pull, you tank it until either the fight is over or your killed".

best overall advice, get a guild and make runs with them. You will find they run a lot smoother, wipes tend not to spark arguments and people actually help each other to understand their limits and capabilities. then once you are more comfortable and confident in your role then PUG's will be less of an irritant.
    Last edited by Fliptrik; 07-18-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Soulwalker

Default other's pulling

If non tanks keep pulling when I am taking esp after a few pulls I let them tank it till they die if it is healer pulling use cool downs to stay alive pots etc let them fie after a bit of that they will either leave or stop why should thank leave when you are not the idiot doing it

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by cowblast View Post
    If non tanks keep pulling when I am taking esp after a few pulls I let them tank it till they die if it is healer pulling use cool downs to stay alive pots etc let them fie after a bit of that they will either leave or stop why should thank leave when you are not the idiot doing it
    hmm this is one exception to the "if you pull agro you tank it" rule that I don't usually follow (especially if they are needed). if they initiate then fine let them die and stay out of combat then res them and go again, but if they pull agro after the tank initiates then im afraid that's usually the tanks problem not the healers. only time it would be healer is if they are trigger happy with their CD's as the pull happens which in most cases isn't required (unless you have a 35khp tank in which you have to use them)

as a Cleric though, now over gearing the content by quite alot, I can self heal expert dungeons whilst tanking so I frequently kill healers that refuse to go DPS to prove that they are not needed . they call me a bad tank at first because im losing agro to them (accidently on purpose), but then when they realise what I was doing they accept it

Champion of Telara

I've never accidentally pulled an entire encounter at once with Discerning Wave.

Never

Telaran

situations I've been in often:
    -me as trigger-happy dps that pulls everything and kills it
    -me as trigger-happy dps that pulls everything, kills almost everything and dies at the last instant
    -tank dealing with trigger-happy idiots that wipe the group
    -tank dealing with trigger-happy dps monsters that wipe the enemy
    -me spacing out and the whole group wipes because I wasnt there
    situations I've not been in often:
    -healer pulling aggro intentionally and dying
    -me as trigger happy dps that wipes group

there's a set of rules that works wonders for this set of scenarios...
    as the dps:
    1) if you know you can't finish the track pack before dying, then hang back a bit.
    2) if you know you can destroy the trash pack before anyone else dies, and are fine with being ressed constantly, go for it until someone complains. in dungeons only, because they don't matter that much.
    3) if the tank bites off more than he can chew, or someone else gets stupid, pop cds and kill as much as possible.
    as the tank:
    1) you spank it, you tank it.
    2) save cds for the healer.
    3) if the dps kills everything and is the only one to die, don't complain. give them a viking funeral instead.

this is how I usually do things ^_^
    Kherae@Deepwood
    Nyrne@Deepwood
    Rampancy@Deepwood
    Aereyn@Deepwood
    (Disclaimer: Characters are updated once in two blue moons.)

+ Reply to Thread