+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mastery (thoughts, discussion, feedback)

Default Mastery (thoughts, discussion, feedback)

So, with 3.0 we are getting the mastery system, and it brings a new way for us to create and manage our classes and the soul system. I wanted to create this thread to help consolidate the amount of threads that will pop up as this system is revealed to us. Also, I wanted to create a thread that's useful for the devs to read the feedback from the community about this subject.

Here's what we know;
    -You can only gain a mastery once you begin leveling at 60 to 65
    -The masteries are based on calling (Warrior, Rogue, Cleric, Mage) as opposed to your souls (Liberator, Blade Dancer, Shaman, Pyromancer, ect.)
    -Mastery is suppose to encourage hybrid builds without "adding unneeded complication".

For the moment, this is all we know. The team is keeping a tight lid on most of the details. As we get more information I will update this thread. However, for the moment I'd like to start off the discussion with some questions/ideas of my own.

Is there going to be a fourth tree for the classes to access along with their three souls or is there just going to be a list of abilities and we can only pick 5 of the abilities?

How is this system going to encourage hybrids? Is it going to give us access to certain abilities that are deeper in the trees or roots that we wouldn't be able to get our hands on as a 61 point build?

Will there be passives that convert certain stats or attack types into others?
    (e.g. Warriors gain a bonus to AP for every X amount of armor they have, or all of the Mages passive abilities that grant bonus damage to a certain spell type instead just boost damage all together)

Are hybrid builds interacting with the mastery system going to benefit more from going 38/38 into two trees (however you want to fill your hybrid) or are they going to benefit more from going 61 points into a tree and then using the mastery system to compensate for the loss of points in the other trees?

What is the plan for 3.0 in regards to hybrids in progression raids versus the 61 point builds?

How will mastery effect people that don't care for hybrids and just want to keep playing their pure class?

How many points (if it's more like the soul system) are we going to awarded per level?

Will solo builds that focus on a tank/healer soul combo (e.g. Justicar/Sentinal) benefit from this as well, or is this only going to encourage hybrids within a specific type of role (damage, support, heals, tank)?

How will this effect the range/melee and ST/AoE souls and their synergy?

I apologize for the lengthy and early post, the soul system is what sold me on Rift in the first place, especially the idea of having hybrid classes. So I approach the subject with a great amount of enthusiasm.
    Last edited by Necalli; 07-08-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Rift Disciple

It is very hard to think of anything which doesn't involve souls.

Only a pure calling mastery... How can this possibly encourage hybrids, as at most this can mean warriors getting more attack power?
    Plastic@Typhiria.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimagron View Post
    Only a pure calling mastery... How can this possibly encourage hybrids, as at most this can mean warriors getting more attack power?
    That's what I'm wondering too, however with the huge push to make players go 61 points into a tree for balancing purposes, it would make sense that the mastery would be built around the 61 point builds instead of 38/38 or whatever your point distribution would be. Although to be honest, that seems overly complicated to put in place.

Rift Disciple

This is confusing. COME ON TRION, REVEAL SOMETHING ALREADY x]
    Plastic@Typhiria.

Ascendant

I viewed it as being increases to specific bulk types of abilities, which may still benefit some specs greater than others.

Ex for mages:
    Primary bolt potency: inc damage and crit of primary bolts by 1% per point
    Debuff persistence: inc duration of debuffs by 1s per point
    DoT potency: inc duration and damage of dots by 1s/1% per point
    Buff persistence: inc duration of buffs by 1s per point
    Spell strength: damage and healing 1% per point

Depending on your build, each mastery could be radically stronger - adding 5 seconds to wild growth or heatwave could be awesome, making dots from off-souls longer duration makes them a more powerful splash.

The debuff duration one could be pretty awesome for some other callings as well, the less time you spend recasting the short length debuffs, the more "real" finishers you can use.

I'm probably way off, but that was what I had in mind when I heard of the masteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Caldern View Post
    I viewed it as being increases to specific bulk types of abilities, which may still benefit some specs greater than others.

Ex for mages:
    Primary bolt potency: inc damage and crit of primary bolts by 1% per point
    Debuff persistence: inc duration of debuffs by 1s per point
    DoT potency: inc duration and damage of dots by 1s/1% per point
    Buff persistence: inc duration of buffs by 1s per point
    Spell strength: damage and healing 1% per point

Depending on your build, each mastery could be radically stronger - adding 5 seconds to wild growth or heatwave could be awesome, making dots from off-souls longer duration makes them a more powerful splash.

The debuff duration one could be pretty awesome for some other callings as well, the less time you spend recasting the short length debuffs, the more "real" finishers you can use.

I'm probably way off, but that was what I had in mind when I heard of the masteries.
    That's interesting, though I feel like if they were going to add buffs like that, they could replace the 1% damage buff for soul passive with those, or maybe let us choose the passives from a list? e.g. Pyromancer with DoT potency and Warlock/Necromancer as the two other souls.

The only other thing is, would those passives be strong enough to justify not picking up the 61 point ability? Is a little boost to DoT damage going to replace Pyromancers Aegis?

Birds sing, that level 65 mastery might be an ability to use, instead of passive ^^

Rift Disciple

Well, they did mention that they wanted to make mastery's allow you to combine two souls that previously wouldn't be anywhere near compatible.

My line of thinking was possibly adding things like "increases damage by 20% for 30 seconds after you cast a single target healing ability" or things such as that. I was going to list more examples I could think of, but it's 5:30 AM and my brain is not functioning at peak performance.
    Harbinger Livandira, Hand of the Arcane

Main Spec Arbiter of <Jynxed>
    2/4 BoB 4/4 Mini Bosses Down

Quote Originally Posted by radiomaryja View Post
    Birds sing, that level 65 mastery might be an ability to use, instead of passive ^^
    Oh really? What else are this birds saying?

O'gawd, not more buttons.

I HOPE that, if this system turns out to be a thing, that this thing doesn't add a whole new bucketload of buttons for us to try to find places for.

I'm out of hands, Trion! OUT. OF. HANDS!

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Chadak View Post
    O'gawd, not more buttons.

I HOPE that, if this system turns out to be a thing, that this thing doesn't add a whole new bucketload of buttons for us to try to find places for.

I'm out of hands, Trion! OUT. OF. HANDS!
    I wouldn't worry too much, Trion already have said they aren't looking to increase the number of abilities we have, and if they do add some to the Mastery system they aren't compulsory. if anything looking at the recent soul reworks/adjustments they are actually reducing the number of abilities on offer by the individual souls. I would expect a partial rework of all the souls by 3.0 if not on its release to coincide with the new Mastery system.

i imagine the masteries may add additional tags to certain abilities i.e. allowing Salvation to proc from a heal ability with the same output for a DPS ability of the same type (ST, AoE etc), or maybe change the damage type of other abilities to say "all abilities are considered death abilities as well as their other types". things like this can be found in other game formats especially card games (MTG for example) which allow combinations of new cards or strategies when you combine these effects with the existing stock.

all i can say is that im excited to see where they are taking this system and how it will change (or inevitably at first break) the game and souls. for too long we have been pigeon holed into certain builds/specs due to FOTM buffs/nerfs/re-works, hopefully this system if done right will open the game back up like it was supposed to be. hopefully we will get some info soon although i expect we will have to wait till atleast 2.8 before we get any mechanic based news on 3.0.
    Last edited by Fliptrik; 07-31-2014 at 03:26 AM.

Plane Touched

The number of abilities that exists for the revamped SC/Pyro have reduced number of abilities. I suspect this is done to accommodate the new skills that we will get from Mastery.

Only problem is that this has only affected 2 souls so far, so it would only work out if they already have the reduction planned and ready for 3.0.

Plane Touched

The way I understood it, I thought Mastery was going to be a replacement/extension for Planar Attunement. Similar to the Nature/Cinder/Storm tier, but more focused on abilities instead of attributes.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyShadow View Post
    The way I understood it, I thought Mastery was going to be a replacement/extension for Planar Attunement. Similar to the Nature/Cinder/Storm tier, but more focused on abilities instead of attributes.
    not quite as they said the Masteries will be per role rather than a strict global, so id imagine it will be a separate tree alongside the 3 souls you already picked. Im hoping that it dynamically changes depending on what souls you chose, although with all the combinations you can make id expect this will be too much work to implement so a generic set will most likely be seen. I imagine it will look like a 5teir tree that you get to chose one option per tier to make up your mastery getting progressively better towards the top but with no perquisites to get them other than level restriction.

Maybe something like x soul has 5 masteries assigned to it, when you add the other souls you have those as well to chose from. this could mean you can create a super healer with healing only masteries or add 2 healing off souls to a DPS for the healing masteries to create a good spot/off healer while being in full DPS (although less damage compared to a DPS with DPS masteries). this kind of system will promote some creative raid setups for encounters and allow some pressure to be taken off of some healers/DPS when the other roles can spec to aid them during certain mechanics/phases.

Since they are supposedly to aid hybrids/combinations of different souls I cant imagine we will see and flat bonuses like the "increase damage by 5%" but more in line with "0pt damaging abilities receive +% damage bonuses from healing boosts as well" (although that is probably a terrible idea). there is tons on possibilities for what these could be or do, im surprised this thread hasn't had more suggestions/guesses/speculations as to what we might see.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Necalli View Post
    So, with 3.0 we are getting the mastery system, and it brings a new way for us to create and manage our classes and the soul system. I wanted to create this thread to help consolidate the amount of threads that will pop up as this system is revealed to us. Also, I wanted to create a thread that's useful for the devs to read the feedback from the community about this subject.

Here's what we know;
    -Mastery is suppose to encourage hybrid builds without "adding unneeded complication".
    My thoughts about encourage hybrid builds - you not only need to bring something new, you also should think about compensating the "level loss" on abilities as abilities get more powerfull as more points you spend into one tree
    Last edited by Anraton; 08-20-2014 at 04:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast