+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Choosing a profession for pvp

Soulwalker

Default Choosing a profession for pvp

I started this game yesterday with my friends with our main focus on pvping. Strangely enough, our guild consist of only rouges and clerics. I have gotten to around lvl 21 as a cleric but I'm wondering if this is the right class for me. Is there a class that does a better job doing damage (preferably ranged?) with good survivability? I do like doing damage but I don't want to focus on healing others or rely on another healer too much. If not, what are the best 3 souls for my cleric that matches my criteria?

Plane Walker

Best classes for PvP in order:
    1. Rogue
    2. Cleric
    3. Mage
    4. Warrior

Rogue has assassin which is amazing for PvE objectives in Warfronts thanks to its perma stealth and has probably the best survivability of all melee dps thanks to it's guaranteed escape slipaway abilities. It is also one of the best 1v1 specs with very good single target damage. In addition Rogues just got physician which is probably the best PvP healing spec in the entire game thanks to its great single target healing and high mobility. Their PvP ranged spec is marksman which does pretty good for itself and has some really nice utility such as its crossfire knockbacks.

Cleric can do well in any warfront as a single target healer. Single target healers being the best asset for a team you can get in PvP. Sentinel, Defiler, and Purifier all do well. For ranged single-target damage you have Inquisitor and for melee you have shaman which does pretty well.

Mage has Chloro for single target healing which, while not as good as the rogue or cleric offerings for PvP is undoubtedly better suited for PvP healing than Liberator. For melee it has Harbinger and for ranged dps it has large variety with favorite right now I think being Pyro. It also has some of the most powerful crowd control in PvP. Dominators have a very powerful mana drain ability called mana wrench and can squirrel enemies which keeps them out of the picture for a good while.

Warriors only healing soul is liberator and it's terrible for warfronts with some value for conquest. For ranged DPS it has tempest which is super bursty which makes it very good for PvP, though the spec lacks general good utility with the exception being a multiplayer stun on a 30 second cooldown and a couple of knockbacks. For melee the warrior can choose between Warlord and Paragon. Warlord has great melee survivability, good single target damage, and also does a lot of AoE damage thanks to one of its finishers so it's not uncommon to see them topping the dps charts in warfronts. Though you won't normally see Warlord's with a lot of killing blows. Paragon is the highest single target damage spec in the game and has some decent utility but it is a lot more squishy than Warlord. With how inconvenient it is to be a squishy melee player in PvP it isn't super attractive for any reason other than its top tier single target damage capabilities. Warriors can also use their Void Knight soul very effectively in Conquest and it's extremely attractive in Conquest for its teleports which are much more convenient than pulls and have good range on them.
    Last edited by Kenjitamura; 07-08-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Plane Walker

And sorry for the double post but the content of your intial post dawned on me. You're playing this game for PvP. You really shouldn't do that. The developers of this game have PvP as like their very bottom priority and don't do much work at all towards improving PvP. And as it stands right now you'll be hard pressed to find a player satisfied with the current PvP state of this game. It's in a bad spot with not much hope for improving. PvE content is great though and the developers are very invested in that. But they hardly do any work at all on PvP and they're absolutely not willing to make any change to the PvP in this game that has negative impact on, or takes attention away, from PvE content.

Soulwalker

Firstly, grow a thick skin. Your sure to meet the "clerics can only heal" brigade sooner or later. Clerics can dps well enough in pvp with the added bonus that u can switch to heals in seconds, and then back again as needed. For lower level cleric,( if your not already doing this,) I suggest macroing Sanction Heritic (inq soul) with Bolt of Rightiousness (justicar) and Trickster's Bolt (druid) as they all proc the instant Bolt of Depravity and are all instant cast allowing to good mobility. At higher level you can switch Trickster's bolt for Bolt of Judgment when you get Spiritual Scrutiny. The druid soul also offers Slumber for cc.

For professions I'd say take whatever you like doing, though being a Runecrafter will help. Maybe taking Butchering and Outfitter can help as they provide gear to runebreak to help u level up runecrafting, later u can use outfitter to make gear and bags to sell in the auction house for a steady income.

+ Reply to Thread