+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Why do tanks macro taunts to their spam button

Default Why do tanks macro taunts to their spam button

WHY WOULD YOU

/capslock

Edit: title in capslock.
    Last edited by Mav986; 07-02-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Ascendant

What you mean their builders and what not?
    No idea...
    Probably newbies who dont understand how taunts work.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickede View Post
    please just stop posting your misinformation here
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickede
    how often you "snipe heals" is also important

Quote Originally Posted by Katosu View Post
    What you mean their builders and what not?
    No idea...
    Probably newbies who dont understand how taunts work.
    It makes my brain hurt

Rift Disciple

I... Who... whaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I've seen some horrible macros(with a touch of hilarious like that 1 button Chloro), but this has got to be one of the worst possible macros ever.
    584 Hit DPS, 523 Hit 74k self buffed Tank Mage; one of the Guild Leads of Telara's Demise, and MT of its Oceanic Core. Recruitment soon!
    Old World Raids: 4/4 RA GP || 4/4 RA DH || 5/5 RA GsB || Conqueror: RoS || 4/4 RA RotP || 10/10 HK || 0/4 PF || 4/8 ID Storm Legion Raids: 4/4 RA TDQ || 4/4 IDH || 4/4 RA FT || 5/5 EE || 2/4 GA || 1/3 IG || 2/5 PBB || 2/4 Minis, 0/4 BoB

MNM
    Prophet of Telara

Gotta lose that threat.

Because...

Erm...
    Yeah I got nothing.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

Because they are bad and dont know how to tank, the only macro you would put a taunt in is macro that announces in Party/raid/yell etc etc so other Tanks know they have taunted. But putting a macro into a "spam" macro Just means they havent bothered to learn their spec

Plane Walker

Probably the same bad tanks that pull with taunts. You don't pull with a taunt, you just don't.

Champion

Simple answer. They just have no interest(or at least very little) in being better tanks.

There are a large number players in Rift with no interest in being better players. It's especially noticeable in random group play, like experts and warfronts. Not really anything good or bad, just the way things are.

I have found accepting this as the state of things helps preserve personal sanity.

Champion of Telara

I've only been tanking for a little over a month and still trying to wrap my head around why anyone would ever do this.

Telaran

The only time this could be useful is if you don't have the hit for certain content and have to use taunts to maintain aggro. Someone in my guild did something similar to this for the minis when tier 3 came out and managed to tank them with 530 hit.
    Last edited by Davann; 07-09-2014 at 12:52 AM.
    ARGOIR@LAETHYS T1 9/9 GA 4/4 PBB 3/5 IG 2/3 BoB MINIS: 2/4

Quote Originally Posted by Davann View Post
    The only time this could be useful is if you don't have the hit for certain content and have to use taunts to maintain aggro. Someone in my guild did something similar to this for the minis when tier 3 came out and managed to tank them with 530 hit.
    No. Bad. Taunts and threat are separate things. Taunting does not give you threat. It merely makes you the main target for x seconds. After x seconds, you still have **** threat. You will immediately lose aggro again.
    Last edited by Mav986; 07-09-2014 at 09:24 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Mav986 View Post
    No. Bad. Taunts and threat are separate things. Taunting does not give you threat. It merely makes you the main target for x seconds. After x seconds, you still have **** threat. You will immediately lose aggro again.
    No that is incorrect. Taunts work by placing you at the top of the aggro table in addition to the 3 seconds of grace. You still stay at the top after those three seconds so in the instance I was talking about before, it is perfectly acceptable to use taunts off cool down. In cases such as using a taunt to pull, you will lose aggro after the three seconds as there is no 'table' yet so to speak of, so you generate 0 threat. Pulling with a taunt is fine and I did it a fair bit on my rogue as he lacked range abilities, you just have to make sure you smack him within those 3 seconds or bad stuff will happen
    Last edited by Davann; 07-09-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    ARGOIR@LAETHYS T1 9/9 GA 4/4 PBB 3/5 IG 2/3 BoB MINIS: 2/4

Taunt bumps you to the top of threat table. If you are already there before taunting, taunt does exactly nothing to your threat. Including taunt skills in standard rotation is a waste of cooldown. And, as those are cooldowns that can save party/raid from wipe, it's a really bad idea to waste them like that.

As for pulling with taunt... Well, if thats really your only ranged skill available - fine.

I can also understand an aoe taunt pull during speed runs, with chain pulling group after group, and no downtime. DPS are trigger happy all the time, HoTs are rolling - fine, you may need that taunt on pull.

But if people wait for tank to do first move... no. Waste of cd for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenjitamura View Post
    Probably the same bad tanks that pull with taunts. You don't pull with a taunt, you just don't.
    And why the hell not?

Taunt got no global cooldown and apply agro instantly without any chance for the boss to randomly shoot an attack at someone else. It also gives you a 3 seconds windows on guns jumpers.
    You can use up to 3 (? if I'm not wrong it's 3, else it's 4) taunts before entering a taunt immunity and there isn't a single fight that require a target switching faster then the taunt immunity duration or diminishing reduction reset.

To top it off, warriors gain an attack point on their taunt effectively increasing their DPS, threat and reducing their load up time by granting them an extra attack point at the start of the fight.

The only reason I would not use a taunt on pull is for trash pulls where I want to keep the 8 second cooldown as a oh **** taunt. (Even tho I never lose agro cause threat in this game is a complete joke and totally faceroll)

There is literally no down side to taunting on pull. It's safe and beneficial for everyone... Unless you are bad and you can't do threat even tho half of your abilities are threat bombs.
    Last edited by Snap; 07-15-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast