+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guide of Choosing Classes

Soulwalker

Default Guide of Choosing Classes

I always used to play with mages....and I was thinking I should play mage again but I saw in some posts that the mage is going to be boring so I just got confused..which class should I play? I must say that my healing is horrible and I always played range classes...which class do you advise me?

Rift Chaser

Well, each class can play both ranged or mle. Any class can heal (although Rogues and Warriors can't both AoE and ST heal.) All classes can tank and support buff the raid.

So they all are able to do it all, but they each have slightly different flavors of each type. My main character is a Mage, and I love it. Personally, I don't think anyone will be terrible at healing if they set up their ui right, and getting better gear always makes the job easier. Mage healing is nice in that whether you are tank healing or AoE, you heal through damage, so you are always healing everyone some.

Now, you can't play every role on every class unless you purchase one or both expansion packs. I believe the first one costs $35 and the 2nd costs $40 or $50. It is a reasonable amount for me, so I bought them. So here's a list of which classes can do what without expansion.

Warrior - tank, mle dps.
    Cleric - Tank, melee dps, range dps, heal.
    Rogue - tank, melee dps, range dps, support.
    Mage - range dps, heal, support.

I don't think any of the classes are "boring", I think you have to find the one that appeals to you the best. Warrior ranged dps doesn't appeal to me, but their melee can be fun. The reverse is true for Clerics for me. I like Rogues mele, but their ranged pet class feels clunky to me. I'm not super proficient in melee on my mage, but I like the healing and ranged dps. It's not that any of these are bad by any stretch, just that I'm not great at all of them.

In all reality, it's very easy to get to level 30 or so, and by that time you should be able to know if you like what your playing or not - then just make another character, and try it out. You can always come back if you care too.

Soulwalker

My flavor in classes are just like you then I will chose dps mage....maybe pyro mage is good for dps....I heared clerics are very good in the beginning of the game but I'm not sure if they are good in late game as dps or not

RIFT Guide Writer

Mages are worst DPS unless you're using Warlock.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Rift Chaser

I won't say that cleric dps is bad, or that all mage dps specs are bad except Warlock - the biggest difference will be how well you like it and how well you play your class. A terrible Warlock will do less damage than a Chloro if played wrong.

I also won't encourage someone to just play one role; try several, and try something new. If just to see how well you like it/play it.

Also, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Harbinger is the top Mage dps spec, no? As long as you buy the first expansion, and want to play mle.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by kickn4fun View Post

Also, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Harbinger is the top Mage dps spec, no? As long as you buy the first expansion, and want to play mle.
    Nope. Warlock.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Rift Master

Just my .02 if you think you'd like to play mage and can justify the cost of the Storm legion expansion ($20 or so) - harbinger, paired with chloromancer (healing) and elementalist, is fun and easy to level. Having more points in harbinger, as I did, makes most of the battles melee and not ranged, but you do get a few ranged abilities to play with.

For clerics, I personally found that inquisitor was easy and fun to play, with some utility and survival skills. It's the top ranged dps spec for clerics at endgame last I checked. Even though it's a bit of a dps loss, some people including myself, put purifier as the 3rd soul in this build to make solo player easier, in case you overextend or get caught unaware.

Also, in this game, keep in mind melee damage is typically higher than ranged. But if you plan to raid and not planning to tank, ranged damage is just as desirable as melee, maybe even more so due to disconnects on boss fights.

Soulwalker

Thank you all for your answers...well I just planned to play somthing new so I want to play with a warrior...but I can just play one role because I can't pay 30 $ in my country It would be about 100 $ now so which role do you recommend as a good dps warrior?
    Last edited by Arcanelord; 05-23-2014 at 08:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread