+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Crit vs CP question

Rift Chaser

Default Crit vs CP question

I know the mantra, "Just stack CP".
    But the question is, at what point does CP become more important to stack than crit?
    What Crit to CP ratio should I shoot for?
    CP is useless is you don't Crit often enough, so I would like some insight into what, if any, basic rule to use for stacking CP vs Crit (think of it as having to choose between CP gear and Crit gear, leave AP/SP out of the argument for the time being).

I'll check in the morning to see if anyone has any constructive tips to give

Quote Originally Posted by Genshiken View Post
    I know the mantra, "Just stack CP".
    But the question is, at what point does CP become more important to stack than crit?
    What Crit to CP ratio should I shoot for?
    CP is useless is you don't Crit often enough, so I would like some insight into what, if any, basic rule to use for stacking CP vs Crit (think of it as having to choose between CP gear and Crit gear, leave AP/SP out of the argument for the time being).

I'll check in the morning to see if anyone has any constructive tips to give
    you get butt-tons of crit in a raid setting, as well as some souls having butt-tons of passive crit rate in their specs, which is why crit rating is not a priority. you just stack cp until cap, then ap/sp. this is just a general guideline. there are some specs, like healing specs, bard, bladedancer, etc. that like ap/sp more than cp. i think beastmaster also wants phys crit more than cp.
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 05-15-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    you get butt-tons of crit in a raid setting, as well as some souls having butt-tons of passive crit rate in their specs, which is why crit rating is not a priority. you just stack cp until cap, then ap/sp. this is just a general guideline. there are some specs, like healing specs, bard, bladedancer, etc. that like ap/sp more than cp. i think beastmaster also wants phys crit more than cp.
    Also remember that not all healing spec's go for ap/sp over cp. Shields greatly benefit from cp.

Ascendant

Ignore Mumnoch.
    You're going to be placing heavier weight on SP/AP when it comes to healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickede View Post
    please just stop posting your misinformation here
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickede
    how often you "snipe heals" is also important

My rogue started seeing noticeable dps improvement from 500cp onwards. I agree with Fisker on crit rate. You should still have 30%+ crit rate after raid buffs though.

Ascendant

DPS is not the same as healing.
    DPS focuses on the end result.
    HPS does not, it works with a limited pool so they focus on theirconsistency.

Not to say you won't have any CP as a healer, but generally you won't stack it as you would a DPS spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickede View Post
    please just stop posting your misinformation here
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickede
    how often you "snipe heals" is also important

Quote Originally Posted by Katosu View Post
    DPS is not the same as healing.
    DPS focuses on the end result.
    HPS does not, it works with a limited pool so they focus on theirconsistency.
    This.

DPS specs are fine with relying on Crit Power because it generally doesn't matter a whole lot when you are and aren't critting. It averages out at the end of the fight, meaning that even if you get a streak of bad luck, you don't instantly die-- you get a chance to catch up with good luck later on.

By contrast, healers need to heal people. If you're relying on a crit to keep someone alive, and you don't get it, they're going to die. You can't make up for it by critting more later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    This.

DPS specs are fine with relying on Crit Power because it generally doesn't matter a whole lot when you are and aren't critting. It averages out at the end of the fight, meaning that even if you get a streak of bad luck, you don't instantly die-- you get a chance to catch up with good luck later on.

By contrast, healers need to heal people. If you're relying on a crit to keep someone alive, and you don't get it, they're going to die. You can't make up for it by critting more later on.
    For my curiosity, how about for physician?

RIFT Guide Writer

The only heal spec that even remotely goes CP > SP/AP is Chloro. That's only because they get so much freaking SP already that they can afford to swap around some stats for more total healing off CP.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Quote Originally Posted by Furyon13 View Post
    For my curiosity, how about for physician?
    Everything that I said also applies to Physician.

Quote Originally Posted by evantide View Post
    The only heal spec that even remotely goes CP > SP/AP is Chloro. That's only because they get so much freaking SP already that they can afford to swap around some stats for more total healing off CP.
    That's not really why. It's more because Chloro splits its healing into a lot of smaller procs that each have their own chance to crit, which means that you have a much lower chance of ending up at the bad end of the bell curve. The average case scenario becomes drastically more likely as the sample size increases. (EDIT: Well, to be more accurate, the standard deviation becomes smaller, meaning that you're more likely to end up closer to the average.)

(IE if you flip a coin once, you have a 50% chance of not getting heads. If you flip it 10 times, you have a .09765625% chance of not getting any heads.)
    Last edited by Muspel; 05-23-2014 at 02:48 PM.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post

That's not really why. It's more because Chloro splits its healing into a lot of smaller procs that each have their own chance to crit, which means that you have a much lower chance of ending up at the bad end of the bell curve. The average case scenario becomes drastically more likely as the sample size increases.

(IE if you flip a coin once, you have a 50% chance of not getting heads. If you flip it 10 times, you have a .09765625% chance of not getting any heads.)
    Huh, nice analogy. I've had a hard time explaining that to people, so I stopped trying to and just used teh SP amounts we get as an easier shorthand.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Champion

Any class that cast's a absorb or shield benefits more from CP than SP to a certain point. I'm not interested in educating you why though so believe SP is > CP if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Mumnoch View Post
    Any class that cast's a absorb or shield benefits more from CP than SP to a certain point. I'm not interested in educating you why though so believe SP is > CP if you want.
    Thanks for the useless input yet again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mumnoch View Post
    This is one of the least accurate things I've ever read, and I've read Time Cube.

Champion

Shield's are almost always 100% effective. Crit Shields are almost always 100% effective. Stick to your DPS specs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast