+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Capped
  • 1 Post By Muspel

Thread: Are the new souls going to be required for "best specs"?

Soulwalker

Default Are the new souls going to be required for "best specs"?

Its a question thats sitting on my mind for a while now. When SL was released the new souls became a must-use in most specs.

Rogue - Tactician - Curative engine
    Warrior - Tempest - Ranged attacks
    Mage - Harb - Main DPS specs, best solo specs
    Cleric - Defiler - Used in most specs today.

F2P players are severely gimped when not using these souls, most notably on warrior or rogue, warriors are gimped of effective ranged attacks and rogues lose their most effective sustained self-heal. Mage has a couple of other viable builds but many are made more effective through use of harb. Cleric is alot more forgiving because defiler isnt used outside of DPS.

What happens when these new souls launch on the 7th, all of a sudden these souls are required to be effective in pvp, to have the best dps spec, to be able to solo as effectively.

Then the community starts to split, players start demanding their groups have these souls and F2P players struggle to find groups.

F2P players are going to lose out because while the content isn't behind a paywall "technically", their options of getting access to this content are extremely limited because they dont have access to required souls for raids / pvp in order to be effective, essentially denying them access to the content through the community.

Im worried about this and im pretty sure its exactly whats going to take place and i think its a damn shame.

(I own the current SL souls and will be purchasing the new ones, before y'all call money Q.Q)

I can already see a metric-ton of issues with the PvP-side of things making things even MORE imbalanced for f2p vs soul-owners (tankier mages, rogues / warriors with sustain vs not etc) and i can only imagine it spreading into PvE.
    Last edited by Capped; 05-04-2014 at 06:40 AM.

No.

The only possible exceptions to this is using Physician as a subsoul for Bard, which gives you a bit more burst healing from Urgent Care. I've also heard that Oracle may situationally be a decent subsoul for... Defiler, I think?

And even then, there are tradeoffs involved. For instance, Bard loses DPS by picking up Physician, and since a Bard's job is to provide DPS, it's often a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Capped View Post
    Rogue - Tactician - Curative engine
    This is not even remotely a must-use for "most specs". Only for soloing specs, which makes up, like, two builds.
    Last edited by Muspel; 05-04-2014 at 07:49 AM.

Look if someone wants to play F2P, do so, there's nothing earth shattering about these new souls, especially in the lower tiers.

Clerics may get a little relief on the whole must play healer in pvp.

How much does a F2P contribute to the financial success of the company? Only that it fills the seats and allows patrons and those that make purchases someone to mmo with.

How much of an investment is it going to be to buy a soul and continue to play non-sub?
    Let Elrar know you care @

https://twitter.com/GiantApproved

There isn't a single boss fight in SL that a Warrior cannot play as a melee for. The only one I can possibly think of is the miniboss in BoB: Greenscale.
    Seranii@Greybriar - 60 Eth Warrior
    | SL: 11/12 T2, 5/8 T3 | NT: X/X T1 |
    < Dirty Casual until 3.0 >
    "One day you'll hang your head as you realize,
    You've heard it all but didn't listen to a word."

Quote Originally Posted by Seranov View Post
    There isn't a single boss fight in SL that a Warrior cannot play as a melee for. The only one I can possibly think of is the miniboss in BoB: Greenscale.
    To be fair, Forgelord Helix is nightmarish for melee, especially if the tank is inexperienced. That encounter is a hate letter to melee.

They really need to get rid of the boss's cleave.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    To be fair, Forgelord Helix is nightmarish for melee, especially if the tank is inexperienced. That encounter is a hate letter to melee.

They really need to get rid of the boss's cleave.
    Okay, yeah, I'll give you that. I've seen it done, though. And a BM spamming Fierce Strike and Brutal Strike could do it from ranged. Not well, but better than nothing.
    Seranii@Greybriar - 60 Eth Warrior
    | SL: 11/12 T2, 5/8 T3 | NT: X/X T1 |
    < Dirty Casual until 3.0 >
    "One day you'll hang your head as you realize,
    You've heard it all but didn't listen to a word."

I have to agree with Muspel and the others; none of the SL souls are required for a single individual. Let's take a look:

Defiler
    Will a raid be gimped by not having a Defiler? For some fights the answer is yes, but unless your entire raid is made of F2P players who haven't bought the SL souls then you can just have someone else play Defiler while you tank/heal/DPS/etc.

Tempest
    As mentioned above, melee is a viable option in all SL raid encounters. It's true that some fights require a high level of skill to play melee, but it is still entirely possible, so the Tempest soul is not at all required for Warriors. Yes it will make your life as a Warrior much easier on the melee-unfriendly fights, but it is still not a requirement.

Tactician
    Tactician is by far the most useless of the SL souls now that Sab has been buffed to be superior AoE DPS. There is no reason to ever run a full Tact build in raids anymore and as mentioned above the only time you would take Tact as a subsoul is for solo builds, and even then Curative Engine is not required.

Harbinger
    While it's true that Harbinger is the top DPS spec for Mages and gives access to the OP Harbchon hybrid, 61 Lock still pulls nearly equivalent DPS as Harb and Pyrochon still does good damage while providing the same level of support. There is nothing required about Harbinger.

So no, the SL souls are not in anyway required for raiding and F2P players are not getting shafted by not buying these souls.

Now for the 2.7 souls the story is slightly different. Because the 2.7 souls give the classes access to new role functions, they will obviously be required for anyone who wishes to perform these new roles. For example if you want to play a Mage tank then you will have no choice but to buy the souls. However, you will still not be required to buy the souls in order to raid. If your raid needs a tank there are plenty of other classes that can perform the role, it doesn't have to be YOU.

So once again, no, the 2.7 souls will not be required to raid. They will obviously be required if you want to perform the roles that they provide, but if you do not have the 2.7 souls you will not be hurting your raid group in anyway.

+ Reply to Thread