+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Yeowang
  • 1 Post By Zwets

Thread: Don't Like Mixing Souls That Have Nothing To Do With Each Other?

Default Don't Like Mixing Souls That Have Nothing To Do With Each Other?

For example, I won't mix Necromancer and Elementalist for the simple fact that One deals with Elements of Nature and one deals with Death Magic. Is anyone else like this?

You're thinking of Magic types from a Hollywood/D&D/WoW point of view.

In Rift all of the Magic types are on the same level. It's not like there are the nature types (Earth, Air, Fire, Water) and the balance types (Life and Death), it's just the elements. They are all one group.

It might be more helpful to think of the Magic types in Rift as Colors from Magic The Gathering. In MTG you can make combinations of any color you want and still have great synergies in your deck.

For this reason what you're saying does not make sense in the Rift universe. Ele already combines 4 of the Magic types together, so adding the element of Death just increases the number of types you can use. It doesn't create any bad, conflicting, or contradictory synergies because, as I said, all of the Magic types in Rift are part of the same group.
    Last edited by takadox; 05-03-2014 at 10:45 AM.

If you're like that, and playing RIFT, you won't be very happy in Telara.
    Everything is an element. Death is an element, just like life and fire and water.. and so on.

On a second note, I Don't Like People That Type Like This For No Apparent Reason.
    Last edited by Yeowang; 05-03-2014 at 11:32 AM.

No, I'm flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMusic View Post
    Is anyone else like this?
    No. The entire point of the soul system is to create unusual combinations. This includes lore-wise-- the Ascended are powerful because they're able to combine powers granted by various heroes from Telara's past.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMusic View Post
    For example, I won't mix Necromancer and Elementalist for the simple fact that One deals with Elements of Nature and one deals with Death Magic. Is anyone else like this?
    You always need another soul or 2 to make specs/builds better. The extra soul points for that extra soul is important for the extra attack/spell power or crit power that a player wants or needs. Not all soul mix up builds may seem great mind you, but you may have more dps or hps depending on how the math for the stats stack up.
    Shaolonfeng - Lvl 65 Warrior Khazeshini - Lvl 65 Mage
    Natsuno - Lvl 65 Rogue Erystar - Lvl 65 Cleric Tereni - Lvl 8 Primalist
    Grump Queen, Gives no S**ts, Mindless Pyromancer, Full-time Raid Healer

While I agree that a necromancer warlock has a unified death DoT theme to it's abilities that is pleasing. Ice abilities have also been associated with necromancers in several media, so a necromancer + Ice mage is not that unusual.

If you ignore the ability names and try to unify your visuals towards a theme, then Necromancer + Chloromancer translates to green splooges of poison magic and multiple forms of health draining.

Even souls that seem opposite can be combined if you call it 'fallen priest' or 'fallen paladin' when they started out gaining holy power, but where corrupted by the power of death.

I'll admit there certainly are combinations that will seem utterly unrelated, but a little creative pseudo lore will create an explanation for most combinations.
    Last edited by Zwets; 05-08-2014 at 05:24 AM.

Fik
    Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Zwets View Post
    While I agree that a necromancer warlock has a unified death DoT theme to it's abilities that is pleasing. Ice abilities have also been associated with necromancers in several media, so a necromancer + Ice mage is not that unusual.

If you ignore the ability names and try to unify your visuals towards a theme, then Necromancer + Chloromancer translates to green splooges of poison magic and multiple forms of health draining.

Even souls that seem opposite can be combined if you call it 'fallen priest' or 'fallen paladin' when they started out gaining holy power, but where corrupted by the power of death.

I'll admit there certainly are combinations that will seem utterly unrelated, but a little creative pseudo lore will create an explanation for most combinations.
    Nicely done!

Thanks Zwets, didn't think of it like that.

+ Reply to Thread