+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bitnine

Thread: Bladedancer for PvE

Soulwalker

Default Bladedancer for PvE

Hi, I'm new to Rift and started playing rogue. I have looked for some builds, but i didn't like them. I'd like to play a meele for PvE but assassin don't have any aoe spels so I looked on bladedancer and tried make my own build.
    http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMMVTV0VvlgoqedhGdqcRvVc
    I wanna know what you think about it, if it gonna work or some good, usefull changes

If you're looking for a solo build, that setup is doable but with physician coming out next week and you're willing and able to buy the soul pack, there week be a lot of other combinations. I'll probably be going with a 61 bd/13 phy/2 rs for my solo build.

If you're looking for a max dps build, I'd suggest 61 bd/12 sin/3 nb.

Soulwalker

If you're looking to solo, having the 3 points in Boosted Recovery (RS, 2nd row, 3rd column) can be good, but if you want to do dungeon or raid PVE content, then you should put those 3 points into Bladedancer to get Fated Blade, as it is an extra Rhythmic Action and a huge DPS buff, as the only better Rhythmic Action is Blade and Soul Parity (the crit one).

I would not recommend this for raiding, only for clearing trash, as currently there are few (if any) boss fights that require high burst aoe damage, which is what BD specializes in. It is however a great soul for soloing, as you can burst down a bunch of world mobs really easily.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Timing View Post
    If you're looking to solo, having the 3 points in Boosted Recovery (RS, 2nd row, 3rd column) can be good, but if you want to do dungeon or raid PVE content, then you should put those 3 points into Bladedancer to get Fated Blade, as it is an extra Rhythmic Action and a huge DPS buff, as the only better Rhythmic Action is Blade and Soul Parity (the crit one).

I would not recommend this for raiding, only for clearing trash, as currently there are few (if any) boss fights that require high burst aoe damage, which is what BD specializes in. It is however a great soul for soloing, as you can burst down a bunch of world mobs really easily.
    BD is an excellent soul in a few tier 2 encounters as it's burst aoe is far better than what another calling can bring with somewhat competitive single target damage.
    Last edited by haybale; 05-01-2014 at 06:25 AM.

What's that? Though obviously not with Boosted Recovery in the subsouls, I use BD on Progenitor, Matriarch, Regulos, Gelidra, Zaviel, Crucia, Breaker, Twins, Volan, Inyr'kta, and Abominus, as well as the whole of IDH and TDQ. If you've got it down, it's rather efficient in producing decent ST alongside that AoE burst.

Quote Originally Posted by bitnine View Post
    What's that? Though obviously not with Boosted Recovery in the subsouls, I use BD on Progenitor, Matriarch, Regulos, Gelidra, Zaviel, Crucia, Breaker, Twins, Volan, Inyr'kta, and Abominus, as well as the whole of IDH and TDQ. If you've got it down, it's rather efficient in producing decent ST alongside that AoE burst.
    I use sin for the tank and spank fights but yeah, bd is great when there's target switching. I prefer sab for the trash aoe, though.

there are few (if any) boss fights that require high burst aoe damage
    Other than like a third of the encounters this expansion.

Bladedancer is so good on so many fights that I'd put it as one of the must-have specs that any raiding rogue needs to have, alongside Ranger and Assassin (and possibly Marksman).
    Last edited by Muspel; 05-01-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by bitnine View Post
    I use BD on Progenitor, Matriarch, Regulos, Gelidra, Zaviel, Crucia, Breaker, Twins, Volan, Inyr'kta, and Abominus, as well as the whole of IDH and TDQ. If you've got it down, it's rather efficient in producing decent ST alongside that AoE burst.

BD is a fine soul to use, but many of the fights you have listed don't need the aoe dps at all. TDQ and IDH, when do you need it?

TDQ: First boss you dont even need to kill the bird, if your raid does, you should probably be ST it down anyways. Second, only 1 target. 3rd, you should be in ranged, or amazing ST build if your raid has the damage without you. 4th, ST dmg.

IDH: 1st, ST tank and spank. 2nd No need to dps down the adds, so ST tank and spank. 3rd, same. 4th, you shouldn't have to aoe the adds, the drake can just be ST down.

FT: Gelidra, usually you can just have one person aoe down the harpies, if thats you, then BD is fine, typically I have been with warriors who do it, or the whole raid can contribute. Zaviel, only need aoe if your killing the orbs. Twins, BD is great, but so is sab, they are pretty much even on this fight, since BD you dont have to worry about the aoe that drops. Crucia, why be in a spec with slightly sub-par ST dps on a fight with 95% ST fighting.

EE: Matriach, yeah BD is best for this one. Regulos, BD is good for this one too. Ok you got me here :P

For T2 stuff, yes BD is the best in certain fights, but typically for the early T1 stuff it is not recommended. Just because you use it there and it works, does not mean it is the best option. And considering the OP is new to the game, I find it unlikely that he will be diving into T2 raids in the very near future. I'm sure by the time he gets there, he will understand the important specs rogues have and can read a guide on what spec he should run there.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Other than like a third of the encounters this expansion.
    A third of the fights? That seems like a little bit of an over-estimation to me. Just because it works, doesn't mean its optimal. I'll give you T2 fights, but not all of them. I don't know about T3, I'll be honest, haven't been there yet, but still a third?

Besides, the main part of my post was not about BD in raids, but more of a recommendation on moving those 3 points out of boosted recovery, thanks for ignoring that helpful advice I was giving and telling me I was wrong (which I'll admit, I was in the case of T2 and some of EE).
    Last edited by Timing; 05-02-2014 at 06:39 AM.

BD is a fine soul to use, but many of the fights you have listed don't need the aoe dps at all. TDQ and IDH, when do you need it?
    Nobody cares about 10-mans.

FT: Gelidra, usually you can just have one person aoe down the harpies, if thats you, then BD is fine, typically I have been with warriors who do it, or the whole raid can contribute. Zaviel, only need aoe if your killing the orbs. Twins, BD is great, but so is sab, they are pretty much even on this fight, since BD you dont have to worry about the aoe that drops. Crucia, why be in a spec with slightly sub-par ST dps on a fight with 95% ST fighting.

EE: Matriach, yeah BD is best for this one. Regulos, BD is good for this one too. Ok you got me here :P

For T2 stuff, yes BD is the best in certain fights, but typically for the early T1 stuff it is not recommended. Just because you use it there and it works, does not mean it is the best option. And considering the OP is new to the game, I find it unlikely that he will be diving into T2 raids in the very near future. I'm sure by the time he gets there, he will understand the important specs rogues have and can read a guide on what spec he should run there.

A third of the fights? That seems like a little bit of an over-estimation to me. Just because it works, doesn't mean its optimal. I'll give you T2 fights, but not all of them. I don't know about T3, I'll be honest, haven't been there yet, but still a third?
    Try doing the fights when you don't overgear them. Off the top of my head, Bladedancer is worthwhile on Gelidra, Zaviel (hardmode), Regulos (HB can hit eyes/spines), Matriarch, Brothers, and Volan. I'm not too familiar with PBB since my guild broke up the night it came out, but my understanding is that BD is great for Primordius, Inyr'Kta, and Abominus.

So it's actually closer to half of the bosses.

For a moment, I'll pretend that 10 mans and spec choices therein are relevant.

Spoiler!

Anyhoo, let's take a look at BD on Gelidra:

Bladedancer for PvE-gelidra_bd_39k.jpg

One of the primary benefits of BD is how little it gives up from its ST in order to produce exceptional burst AoE. My heart weeps for raids where sweeping blades are used. Also when "have the ST switch" is used as a solution to something that can be done far more efficiently with AoE cleaving. As for Zaviel, I did take it for granted that anyone doing the fight would be doing the "hard" mode to get a RiC and always kill them orbs. As a side benefit, Dancing Steel makes you immune to Arc Weld. /protip

Crucia, why be in a spec with slightly sub-par ST dps on a fight with 95% ST fighting.
    I know the site isn't heavily used anymore, but feel free to take a look here: http://www.hypatialogviewer.com/boss.php?b=51. Take a look at the overall damage, and toggle it for just damage on Crucia. BD does quite well on that fight, full stop.

For T2 stuff, yes BD is the best in certain fights, but typically for the early T1 stuff it is not recommended. Just because you use it there and it works, does not mean it is the best option.
    On IG Twins, a BD can damn near solo the scarabs while producing 23-24k+ on the Twins themselves. On Volan, the burst needed to take down them big adds, and the fact you can hit both feet with HB seems almost tailored for the spec, as well as FB being up for every back phase. On Inyr'kta, BD can break 41k with over 19k of that ST into Inyr. What other spec comes close to that?

For Breaker, Proteus, and Obamanuts it's a viable option. If you want to clear out Hunters on Proteus (though I personally use NB there) or have someone make the dones a non-issue on the iron giant, done.

BD comes with its own damage reduction, mobility cooldowns, and interrupt. I would go as far to say that no other single rogue spec is that good at that many fights or will make you more desirable for a T2 roster.

Basically, what's happened to Bladedancer is this...

It was pretty bad at Storm Legion launch. Ailion gave it some buffs, but it still wasn't worth using. Then he gave it larger buffs, and it became good.

Then he buffed it again, and it became great. Then he buffed it again, and it became a monster. And I think there may have been yet another buff after that, they all started to blur together.

The thing is, though, the spec has a relatively high skill floor compared to other rogue souls, meaning that it's harder for beginners to do well with it. This leads a lot of people to perceive it as weak, because so few people stick with it and learn to optimize it.
    Last edited by Muspel; 05-02-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Crucia, why be in a spec with slightly sub-par ST dps on a fight with 95% ST fighting.
    I was doing the srs bsns of a PDKP FT and noticed that my meter reset for the last (ST) phase of Crucia, so I went ahead and hit record. Unfortunately a little bit less than flub-free, but perhaps a good enough example:

Is a chunk of the overall fight DPS the "fluff" of obliterating the stormblade adds? Yeah, I think my meter peaked over 125k there - despite the warriors trying to steals my add damage. But the fact is that the transition downtimes line up well with the higher DPS dance CDs. And the fight also includes cleaving during the first phase and a switch on to and off of the cannon in the second. For reference, there's a parse up here.

If you were thinking about a more progression-type environment, being able to switch onto cannons and interrupt, and toggle up some damage reduction for orbital would end up being useful.

+ Reply to Thread