+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warlock vs Necromancer

Default Warlock vs Necromancer

So im guessing Rifts warlock is pretty much the necromancer of Rift? I really hope they dont make it like similar to the WoW warlock... i miss the old school EQ necro... dots,fears and an *** kickin skelly and spectre..

Ascendant

It was mentioned somewhere around here (um, I'm trying to remember where) that there is also going to be a Necromancer Mage soul as well as the Warlock soul we've already seen. But there hasn't been any information yet on what exactly Rift's Necromancer is going to be like.

Never played WoW so I can't comment on that but the Warlock here looks like a straight up Death magic based DoT and nuking class, it doesn't have a pet.

they have the same skill than they had in wow, the amazingly effective "Fear" u.u i hope they make a good diminishing return for that skill or a coldown, if not locks will be annoying xD
    you can see the Warlocks skills here :
    http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/builder/?calling=mage
    i dont know if that will be the exact skill tree but its what we got now
    i speack not english good you tell me when wrong i am ! [JK!]
    Waiting for the king of the mmorpg's ...
    -Dnz

I'm pretty sure that the rift warlock will be like the EQ2 warlock and the Necro will be like the EQ2 necro.

I'd like to see warlocks go back to their roots as well... witches with a primary focus on curses and hexes, much along the same path of voodoo.

Warlocks were originally just male witches, then someone came along and had to make them all infernalized and it stuck. Now they're little more than magics with Demon powers. I'd prefer Infernomancers instead of warlocks.

I've never really been fond of Necromancers, myself. Death magic will only get you so far, and it becomes a 1 trick pony on what can be done. You essentially have a class with x amount of flavors of death magic.

Warlocks never had anything to do with Necromancers. Completely different nature of powers.

It's Hell Magic vs Death Magic.

EQ necro wasn't bad, i would like to see a game try a witch doctor type caster class.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Denzen View Post
    they have the same skill than they had in wow, the amazingly effective "Fear" u.u i hope they make a good diminishing return for that skill or a coldown, if not locks will be annoying xD
    you can see the Warlocks skills here :
    http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/builder/?calling=mage
    i dont know if that will be the exact skill tree but its what we got now
    Damage caused will break the effect so why it amazingly effective?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Carcinoma View Post
    Damage caused will break the effect so why it amazingly effective?
    Because they didn't read the description? I just wonder if it is supposed to say chance at breaking. If 1 tick of dot damage will break it then it will pretty much be useless even in PvE. I would rather it just not work in PvP and it be viable in PvE instead of all around useless.

Rift Disciple

Yeah Witch/Warlock vs Necro vs Fire vs Voodoo/Witch Doctor will be interesting.

You see Diablo 3 going that route where they scrapped the necromancer and gave it all to a witch doctor. But you see witch doctors in Warcraft 3 that are more like a shaman... And then you have warlocks in WoW that can be dot, pet, or fire.. Then you have a death knight that has an unholy tree and you end up being a melee necro... But you have a necromancer in Diablo 2 with a poison-heavy talent tree, pet / summon tree, and fear tree. Same thing in Ultima Online with a poison/dot heavy and summon-heavy necromancer with some monsters to transform into, and a complimentary poison skill you can work up.

I read the Diablo 2 novels and it's the only thing that seems to get a necromancer right in my opinion. So hopefully they do a true necromancer and don't just name it that, shoehorning in whatever they feel like.

I don't think they will though, because they can add souls for ages if they want and make a fire soul, witch/warlock soul, voodoo/witch doctor soul, necro soul, poison soul and really I don't think anyone'd have a problem. Because it isn't taking away from anything else really. If that makes sense...

Whereas in WoW, they've been hosing up Survival tree in Hunters for years. eEhhh UhhhHHh, no we want it to be this now *changes it* uh er wait uh no we uh want it to be this now *changes it* and you continually lose what you had before. In Rift, if they want to add a pure necro, they add a new soul... if they want to now do a voodoo/witch doc, they can just add a new soul. If they want to do a poison-heavy soul they can just add it. They don't have to mess up builds that already exist, like in WoW.

It's a win win situation.
    Last edited by WaterPaladin; 10-10-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Necro I like most magicians. So I'm going to play this class

Naaa it's going to be a Warlock/Pyromancer for me based on the current classes.

+ Reply to Thread