+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ianto Jones
  • 1 Post By Ianto Jones

Thread: Fun Classes To Play: Help

Soulwalker

Default Fun Classes To Play: Help

Hey everyone im about to role out a new toon after not playing for about 18 months.
    From what info I've read warriors are in a pretty good place right now with 61 paragon having highest dps and maybe highest dps over all classes right now.
    I want to play a new class that's really fun to play, I am thinking a mage but they all appear to have similar dps but they vary in difficulty.
    Im wondering if people can suggest a really fun class to play. Something like a big aoe mage or aoe warrior or something sounds fun but not if they aren't any good! Thanks for any suggestions

Every class is fun in different ways. What kind of playstyle do you enjoy?

Soulwalker

Ive always enjoyed warriors with the run in and smash everything style but all the warrior souls seem similar, and I dont really know the difference between the mage aoe souls. I have a marksman atm but they are just a bit boring to play as their abilities are really plain. It seems like pyro is the only decent non melee mage.
    Its hard to find some really good info.

The fun thing about Rift is that every class has a "run in and smash it" soul. In the next update all callings will be able to perform every role. Callings are generally defined by an over-arching style of gameplay.

Specs in this game go in and out of style so it can be hard to keep up.

For PvE:

Viable Warrior DPS souls: Paragon (melee), Tempest (ranged)
    Viable Mage DPS souls: Harbinger (melee), Warlock (ranged)
    Viable Rogue DPS souls: Assassin (melee), Nightblade (melee), Bladedancer (melee), Ranger (ranged)
    Viable Cleric DPS souls: Shaman (melee), Inquisitor (ranged)

Warriors and Rogues tend to have very simple gameplay. Most Warrior specs are only a couple of buttons. Rogues aren't much, if any, better (except BD). Mages are generally the most difficult (and imo most fun), though aside from Warlock (and Chloro if you might heal) they are pretty under-powered right now. Inq in Cleric is easymode, but Shaman is probably the most challenging of the viable DPS specs.

For PvP:

Viable Warrior souls: Warlord, Paragon, Tempest
    Viable Mage souls: Pyromancer, Archon (Pyro hybrid), Chloromancer (heal), Dominator (CC / AOE / support)
    Viable Rogue souls: all of them except Riftstalker
    Viable Cleric souls: all but Warden and Druid

Warriors and Rogues dominate. It's hard to say which class is more over-powered. Clerics are best off healing unless you're an amazing player (in which case, Shaman is great). Mages are the worst at everything except CC; Dominator is probably the most fun and most challenging soul in the game for PvP (it's also not very good right now because why CC something when a Warrior or Rogue could just kill it in 3 seconds?). Frankly, don't PvP in this game.

I would say go Mage. By the time you hit 60 half of this will have changed anyway, and there's never been a time where a good Mage wasn't welcome in any (PvE) group.
    Last edited by Ianto Jones; 04-20-2014 at 08:55 AM.

To expand on what Ianto said: There's currently a dearth of mages. Due to longstanding neglect and general poor design decisions, many mages have left. When I left in january our guild had 7 mages in the raid team. When I came back, they had 1, and it was one of the cleric's alts. If you roll a mage, you will find a spot no problem.

Soulwalker

Wow thank you for big in depth guide in definitely helped! Im thinking about giving bladedancer a try as you say it is slightly more difficult to run but I like a challenge
    I have just read muspels 61 bladedancers guide and it sounds actually really fun anyway.
    As you both say mages are fun however im definitely going to give them a go.
    How do stuff like stormcaller and dominator compare to the necromancer that you have recommended?
    I am currently levelling the paragon warrior so a mage would be fun along the side, I don't mind if they are a bit underpowered as long as they are still good enough to be useful and are at least pretty fun!

Stormcaller is the worst soul in the game. Dominator is mostly just for PvP and some unique utilities that it has in raids. They're probably the two lowest single-target damage souls of all the callings; Dominator has the best AOE burst in the game but that's rarely necessary, and definitely not worth the loss to single-target damage. Stormcaller has great sustained AOE damage but that's even more rarely useful.

Note that Warlock is not Necromancer, though they are both death-based damage souls. Warlock is all about DOTs, Necro is all about pets. Necro is good for leveling and when you've got bad gear, but at end-game it falls behind.

Soulwalker

Ahhh thanks for clearing that up, mages do sound pretty niche then at the minute. Ive chosen to level a tempest and swap my rogue into bladedancer

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post

Inq in Cleric is easymode, but Shaman is probably the most challenging of the viable DPS specs.
    The 3 button Shaman is the most challenging DPS spec? The only soul with less skilllevel is the one button sabo... Yes you can use more than the 3 buttons for Shaman but the dps gain is ****

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek View Post
    The 3 button Shaman is the most challenging DPS spec? The only soul with less skilllevel is the one button sabo... Yes you can use more than the 3 buttons for Shaman but the dps gain is ****
    Shaman has the highest skill cap, yes. You can macro it to 3 buttons, but to min/max it (and the DPS gain is not "****") requires more effort than probably any other viable DPS spec.

Which is more a reflection of the direction that Rift has taken than a statement on the difficulty of the spec.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Shaman has the highest skill cap, yes. You can macro it to 3 buttons, but to min/max it (and the DPS gain is not "****") requires more effort than probably any other viable DPS spec.

Which is more a reflection of the direction that Rift has taken than a statement on the difficulty of the spec.
    Shaman only needs ~7-9 buttons to do it right.
    Last edited by CrackaJack; 04-23-2014 at 03:13 AM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by CrackaJack View Post
    Shaman only needs ~7-9 buttons to do it right.
    If you are using 7-9 buttons for Shaman you are for sure NOT doing it right.

I counted my button's on my bar and I've got 11 I use for ST, 12 if you count charge. That goes up to 15 for AOE. Some of my button's are macro'd to save space too. 7-9....lol.

+ Reply to Thread