+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old WoW player, new rift player, looking for help with class choice

Soulwalker

Default Old WoW player, new rift player, looking for help with class choice

Hey all. As the title says I'm an old wow player. My warrior was my first MMO toon ever and I played him throughout BC. I enjoyed tanking heroics mostly with friends and was a hardcore PvPer, spending most of my time in arena and bg's, even after I had earned all rewards. Never got into raiding much, didn't interest me at the time, felt like a job b/c of scheduling ect. I dabbled in WotLK but got bored very early.
    Came back in cataclysm for a while, first on my warrior then I switched to DK, b/c I didnt like the direction they took the warrior at that time, plus I wanted to play a class with more utility and a higher skill cap(pet class, stun, grip, ect ect). In cata I was again a dedicated PvPer, but I dabbled in raiding on My DK as dps, enjoyed it and personally did quite well at the time.

Anyway long story short, myself and one of my old arena partners are going to give rift a try. He probably won't PvE much, i will if I find the right friends. I'm sure not sure what class would be the most fun for me. I dabbled and made alts in a lot of different classes but my heart was always in the melee bruisers, I just kinda like being in people's faces. However this time around I think i'd like to try something different. I

know with rifts system I'm expected to play a variety of roles. I think i would enjoy being ranged dps. I'd like a class with some utility as well, so I feel that I can give more to my teammates than just damange(although I love bringing the pain). Also, with melee in bg's in wow, I was obviously constantly focused, so unless I had my healer with me i kinda had to play careful/boring. That's why I want to try ranged dps, utlity, and to be able to kite, so I have some survivability.

Thank you for reading my wall of text. Any help is appreciate. Looking forward to enjoying rift, my buddy is already hooked. He's rolling cleric(he loves to heal/support).

Edit: I don't like to heal. In WoW it was mind numbing to me in PvE, and just not as fun in PvP. If I had to choose I'd much rather tank. I enjoyed it in BC WoW dungeons and heroics. Never tanked a raid though. I made a rogue to play as MM/ranger ATM, waiting the consensus from you guys. Was also considering mage. Part of me is afraid though i'll find out later warriors wreck in this game and kick myself for not playing melee, haha. I guess it comes down to who has the advantage, kiter or kited.
    Last edited by qbert1981; 04-18-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Soulwalker

Hi Q,

Welcome to Rift!

Coming from WoW, this should feel intuitive to you but perhaps a bit more complex being we have multiple souls to build from. Rogue, Cleric, and Warrior can all tank. Mage will be able to in 2.7, as well as all classes having some kind of healing soul as well.

From what you described, it sounds like you may wish to try the Rogue calling. They have ranged and melee dps, and they can tank as well. Assassin is a pain in the *** for the rest of us in PvP, especially if you happen to be healing. I am not bitter.

Anyway! There are guides on the forum both for general play and for callings. Welcome again and please ask if you have any more questions.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Lots of those are insanely inaccurate, and in some cases severely outdated.

For instance, Feral druid DPS does not correspond to Bladedancer in any way, as Bladedancer has no build-up and no DoTS. Riftstalker doesn't correspond to Feral tanks, as it does not have high avoidance (and in fact has the lowest avoidance of any tank), and Warlord corresponds even less as it's not capable of tanking.

The spreadsheet refers to Paragon as being dual-wield focused while Champion is 2-handed, which hasn't been true for over a year and a half.

And so on.

Default Try something different.

Rift PvP is pretty balanced. You will probably enjoy any class in PvP or PvE. Classes in rift don't really compare to the WoW classes because they play a little differently to their wow equivelants. When 2.7 comes out, you'll be able to play any role with any class. I suggest you make 4 toons, play them till level 20 or so, and see which one you would like to play best. Since you said you like tanking, a Mage probably won't be viable to you until the next major patch. Have a nice day!
    60 Warrior (Farodsha@Zaviel) - 38 Mage (Derellabhe@Gelidra) - 28 Cleric (Zuodmi@Zaviel) - 12 Rogue (Nigeni@Typhiria)
    Proud member of Consortium@Zaviel.

Rift Chaser

You will get bored by this game in 2,3 months, rift is not even near wow quality.

Quote Originally Posted by jebeninick View Post
    You will get bored by this game in 2,3 months, rift is not even near wow quality.
    Let's not start the MMO wars. Anyway Rift has good end game content which is developing consistently, so by the time you finish reach 60, you will have various PvE activities to do (expert 5 mans, chronicles, 3 tiers of raids, Great Hunt Rifts et al) as well as PvP activities (Conquest, premade warfronts, pug warfronts, gear progression et al). Rift is a viable WoW alternative, the only thing you might miss is the population and wide availability of guides etc. but it's not a big issue, you can enjoy Rift anyway.
    Last edited by Farodsha; 04-19-2014 at 01:46 PM.
    60 Warrior (Farodsha@Zaviel) - 38 Mage (Derellabhe@Gelidra) - 28 Cleric (Zuodmi@Zaviel) - 12 Rogue (Nigeni@Typhiria)
    Proud member of Consortium@Zaviel.

Warriors are your prototypical bruisers, but they can also do ranged dps, support, tank, and heal.

In fact, every class can do both ranged and melee, and also support, tank, or heal.

So I would suggest reading up on the lore of different souls and picking the one that sounds the most badass. This is an infallible way to make sure you enjoy playing your class.

Rift Master

Play all four... variety is the spice of life. You know those talent trees you used to have? We still have them.

Rift Disciple

You can honestly choose whatever, as most people have said in the thread all ready. Every class can, more or less, do everything. And, if you don't intend to Raid at the high end, that really opens up your options more tbh.
    Harbinger Livandira, Hand of the Arcane

Main Spec Arbiter of <Jynxed>
    2/4 BoB 4/4 Mini Bosses Down

Plane Walker

The PvE content in Rift is great and I'd say is on par with WoW from what I can remember having played up until the end of WoTLK. The PvP.... oh gawd...the PvP...gawd....

Very limited number of warfronts with simplistic repetitive mechanics. Most the battlegrounds I remember playing in WoW as well as the open area siege PvP in WoTLK blows anything Rift has completely out of the water. No contest. You'd have to have pretty low expectations for PvP to be able to play this game specifically for PvP content.

As for classes:

Cleric is most flexible healing class with good range and melee dps specs that are fun to play. The tanking performs very well but it is somewhat boring.

Next month the clerics will also be getting a support spec with the purchase of 2.7 soul pack.

Rogue has good range and melee dps as well as probably being the best tanking class in game in terms of performance. For tanking I'd probably pick this over Cleric. Their bard support role is also very good.

Next month the Rogues will be getting a single target healing focus spec with the purchase of 2.7 soul pack.

Warrior has phenomenal melee dps and if you buy the extra storm legion souls its range dps is also very good. It has several tanking souls but only a few builds are actually viable. As a tank warriors do the most damage of any tanking class but their performance as tanks is probably the worst, but not by much.

Next month the warriors are getting an AoE focus healing spec with the purchase of 2.7 soul pack.

Mage has a very good and highly sought after healing spec that also does the most dps which makes it tremendously useful. Their ranged dps is great and if you buy the storm legion souls its melee dps is also very good. It has some of the best support specs that are always in demand.

Next month the mages are getting a tank spec with the purchase of 2.7 soul pack.
    Last edited by Kenjitamura; 04-20-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Well, with 2.7 going live next week any calling can do any role. So you don't need to worry about utility with your calling. That being said, I personally (having played WoW from vanilla and Rift from beta) think you would really enjoy the Warrior calling here, specifically the Champion, Warlord, and Paragon souls. Champion is going to play like an AoE Arms Warrior, Paragon is going to play like a mix of a Fury Warrior and Combat Rogue, and Warlord is going to play kind of like a Blood DK back when they first launched with two handed weapon tanking and decent self heals (for a Warrior).

The Paladin soul is going to play like a prot Warrior, Void Knight is going to play like a Blood DK would on 5.4. Beastmaster is a unique spec, its going to play like a mix of an Unholy DK and Fury Warrior with Shaman totem types of buffs. There is the Riftblade which is kind of a mix between an Enhancement Shaman and a Warlock (lots of DoTs and movement type abilities mixed with elemental damage),and of course the Liberator coming next week which is a raid healer kind of guy. There is also the Tempest, he kind of plays like an Elemental Shaman, minus anything other than lightning abilities.

Which leaves us with the last poor soul, the Reaver. It's suppose to be the third tanking soul for Warriors. As of 2.6, It is broke. There is supposedly one VK/Reaver build out there that Rough Raptors made that is perfect for a fight that needs extreme magic damage mitigation, but it's use is so limited no one keeps it slotted. Now Vladd (Warrior class manager) did say that before 3.0 this poor soul would get a rework(my money is on 2.8).

Vladd did mention that the rework would be to make it a DPS soul, and that Paladin and VK would also need some adjustments to help with this transition. So there are some changes coming our way.

Hi Welcome ! I think its best to try playing all 4 classes to see which one you like the best. My personal favorite classes in Rift are Mage and Warrior. Be adventurous.
    Shaolonfeng - Lvl 65 Warrior Khazeshini - Lvl 65 Mage
    Natsuno - Lvl 65 Rogue Erystar - Lvl 65 Cleric Tereni - Lvl 8 Primalist
    Grump Queen, Gives no S**ts, Mindless Pyromancer, Full-time Raid Healer

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that they let warriors, rogues and mages heal. Just doesn't make any sense to me. I used to play Rift a long time ago. I just came back and this is all very confusing.

+ Reply to Thread