+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Lack of Tanks, gear problem?

Soulwalker

Default Lack of Tanks, gear problem?

Hi everyone,

I'm a tank, or I'd like to be. However upon hitting L60 i've hit a stumbling block. Hitting 300 toughness was not too hard, but getting the 40k hp recommended for tanking experts is much more difficult. Currently my only upgrades are from experts or with emp slayer marks. This means struggling through experts or switching to DPS role to farm gear, which only leads to another problem, grinding two sets of gear.

If you want to encourage more people to tank, maybe the gear grind for tanking shouldn't be so difficult. If you're undergeared for DPS no one really cares, but if you're an undergeared tank you never hear an end to the complaining. Just a thought to what might help with the LFG que times.

Hitting 40k hp isn't that hard really. I hit about 44k-45k before I even started doing experts. Are you using runes? Right of the bat you can use the cheap Gleaming Resolute ones for a 63 endurance boost.
    If you find some nice legs and shoulders, the Auroral Tough runes are also a nice investment.
    Also get a nice seal. If you can find someone to craft it for you, it's pretty damn cheap to get a 70+ endurance boost just from there.

Edit: I would actually recommend that you focus on your DPS/heal/support gear set before the tank one though. Getting just enough that you are comfortable to tank experts, then build up your other set. The transition from "I'm done with experts" to "I want to start raiding" are really, really hard as a tank. I'm at that point now and are having a really hard time progressing, to the point that I am starting to get my DPS gear in order instead of trying to progress as a tank. It's really hard to main tank unless you already are raiding as a DPS/heal/support. At least that's my experience.
    Last edited by Snowblood; 03-11-2014 at 04:32 AM.
    Snowblood@Gelidra   - lvl60 Rogue DPS
    Dosed@Gelidra          - lvl60 Cleric Tank
    Classypants@Gelidra  - lvl39 Warrior PvP

Save all your marks/currencies from everything, most tank gear is vendor bought. That's just the way it is. It's a grind for sure.

Starting out in SL I saved all marks for vendor bought tank gear and just used any drops for my dps set.

Also, to push yourself over 40k shouldn't be difficult if you have a decent sigil and seal. Get your torvan and Lycini rep done. Your sigil is your most important piece of gear IMO.

Good luck.
    <Infitialis> Raid Leader - Rogue - Carbondioxide@Deepwood - P90

#PVPJAZZHANDS

Plane Touched

run chronicles, they give empyreal slayer marks as well as starter tank gear (some green some blue, upgradeable to blue/purples)

Unhappy

40k is a recommendation, I've easily healed tanks at 32k, they just have to be careful with their pulls. I spent maybe 400p on crafted gear on my Warrior when it hit 60, I was 40k instantly, 45k the next day and 50k within 48 hours. On my Cleric I spent nothing and tanked my first raid with 38k wearing mainly dps gear.

Moral of the story, gear isn't as important for experts/ early raids as most people think it is, heck most things were world firsted with tanks below toughness cap and with 10-15k less Hp than your average pug requires and that was before all the player buffs and content nerfs.
    Nope.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the advice guys, this is what I am currently doing. I agree that the transitions between stages (normals to experts, experts to raiding) is much harder for tanking than it is for DPS'ing. Also, it is much more noticable in a group.

I think that this is a big contributing factor to the reason there are so few tanks however. It's simply much easier to grind DPS gear and start doing experts/raids as an undergeared DPS than as an undergeared tank.

Making tanking gear more accessible would help (in my opinion at least) boost the number of tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    40k is a recommendation, I've easily healed tanks at 32k, they just have to be careful with their pulls. I spent maybe 400p on crafted gear on my Warrior when it hit 60, I was 40k instantly, 45k the next day and 50k within 48 hours. On my Cleric I spent nothing and tanked my first raid with 38k wearing mainly dps gear.

Moral of the story, gear isn't as important for experts/ early raids as most people think it is, heck most things were world firsted with tanks below toughness cap and with 10-15k less Hp than your average pug requires and that was before all the player buffs and content nerfs.
    heh, I went back through old screenshots, Raivee had 44k hp fully raid buffed when we started FT progression. 52k by the time we got to Crucia a week later.

then I cried looking at my 61 Pyro hotbar

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    heh, I went back through old screenshots, Raivee had 44k hp fully raid buffed when we started FT progression. 52k by the time we got to Crucia a week later.

then I cried looking at my 61 Pyro hotbar
    Ohman, I got 53k hp self buffed and can't even find a group for ToDQ. Even for that people expect you to have closer to 70k hp. Can't wait to actually be around at the release of a new expansion. Then everyone will be progressing.
    Snowblood@Gelidra   - lvl60 Rogue DPS
    Dosed@Gelidra          - lvl60 Cleric Tank
    Classypants@Gelidra  - lvl39 Warrior PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Snowblood View Post
    Ohman, I got 53k hp self buffed and can't even find a group for ToDQ. Even for that people expect you to have closer to 70k hp. Can't wait to actually be around at the release of a new expansion. Then everyone will be progressing.
    That's why I love gear resets for expansions. Really helps newbies get into content without needing to be overgeared.
    Pantz@Hailol
    Asia's best cleric

I like the LFM Experts. T2 geared req. It's a good laugh every time.
    12/12 -- 15/15 -- 9/9
    Comet Of Ankhet -- 2/4HM
    Lethaemis@Laethys 1600 Primalist

MNM
    Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Lethaemis View Post
    I like the LFM Experts. T2 geared req. It's a good laugh every time.
    "LF2M DPS experts, 20k+dps"

Quote Originally Posted by MNM View Post
    "LF2M DPS experts, 20k+dps"
    LF7M Balloon popping raid. link t2 achieve and do 20k dps
    Pantz@Hailol
    Asia's best cleric

I'm so glad I gave up on trying hard to run the gear treadmills. I've been reading threads pretty much exactly like this one for almost ten years.

Now I can sit back, putz around and not care.

Not caring is downright cathartic.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyebane View Post
    I think that this is a big contributing factor to the reason there are so few tanks however. It's simply much easier to grind DPS gear and start doing experts/raids as an undergeared DPS than as an undergeared tank.

Making tanking gear more accessible would help (in my opinion at least) boost the number of tanks.
    It may be a contributing factor, but i don't think its as big of one as you think. The gear grind is slowing you down, but your a tank, so you're going to keep going until you get the gear right? The biggest reason there are less tanks/healers than DPS, in my opinion, is many people don't want to tank, don't like tanking, and will never tank unless someone forces them to. Its a completely different style of gameplay than DPS, and from my experience, your either a tank, or your not, and most people fit into the latter category by their own choice.
    Soulraiser - 60 Cleric // Soulslayer - 60 Warrior // Soulshadow 60 Mage
    Faeblight NA
    http://www.dargaardknights.com
    Visit our recruiting thread HERE

Be a tank is not easy. One bad move/position/miss interrupt and you wipe the raid or kill your healer. And you must develope a good relation with the healer, he/she must know when you need big heals, when you must burn your cd Shield/self healing.. Some encounters needs a rogue tank, because the fight is more easy (like Kyzan in GA) some raids needs a Cleric tank and a few others needs a warrior tank. I have the gear to be a t2 tank, but i'm enjoying dpsing the boss and mobs
    Last edited by megathalios; 03-19-2014 at 07:11 AM.
    "No pain, No Gain"
    "The supposition that the newcomers need to "learn to play" or "do better" is silly. ~Daglar"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast