+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Viable specs require soul trees maxxed now?

Telaran

Default Viable specs require soul trees maxxed now?

Wow, things have changed. I am a returning player and remember maxing out a soul tree was simply not commonly done. Now I see there has been a big skill reshuffle and every spec posted always has 61 points posted in a Soul.

I question why Trion did this. Was it on purpose? This seems like a rather limiting factor in creating interesting specs don't you think? The big draw to me was the versatile speccing as I remember spending hours on the skill calculator just making interesting specs. Now it seems a lot more cookie cutter as the level 61 skill is a must. Are there any plans on changing this?
    Last edited by corky_aloof; 03-10-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Soulwalker

Yup... Cookie cutter indeed.
    Everyone looks the same; at times, one could swear they all looked like lemmings. :P

It was on purpose because the rampancy of hybrids made it extremely hard to get anything balanced. By forcing a defining skill to be 61 points, 32 (soon to be 36) souls are much easier to balance against each other. But just because they're 61 points doesn't mean they're not fun. Imo, having 61 point specs made the playstyles a lot more coherent than the various hybrids of pre-SL.

You can make interesting specs for yourself, especially in pvp. There are still some hybrids that exist that are competitive.
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 03-10-2014 at 10:30 AM.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Telaran

Thanks, I will ignore the damage parsing threads and just make my own hybrid spec and see what happens.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Twing View Post
    Yup... Cookie cutter indeed.
    Everyone looks the same; at times, one could swear they all looked like lemmings. :P
    Nah, we have tons of costume slots.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by corky_aloof View Post
    Wow, things have changed. I am a returning player and remember maxing out a soul tree was simply not commonly done. Now I see there has been a big skill reshuffle and every spec posted always has 61 points posted in a Soul.

I question why Trion did this. Was it on purpose? This seems like a rather limiting factor in creating interesting specs don't you think? The big draw to me was the versatile speccing as I remember spending hours on the skill calculator just making interesting specs. Now it seems a lot more cookie cutter as the level 61 skill is a must. Are there any plans on changing this?
    You must be talking about cleric.

For all the other classes you still have valid parsing hybrids, most of which will out DPS/perform the 61point versions. If you are looking to play a class with "hybrid" options I would rank the classes in the following order:

Warrior's 1st, they have several PVE and PVP hybrids.
    Mages 2nd, they have a few PVE/PVP hybrids
    Rogues 3rd, they have a couple PVE/PVP hybrids
    Cleric's 4th, they do not have a valid hybrid atm with the exception of KaazKaaz which is situationally able to replace Warden for PVE/PVP.

Having said the above all the classes are getting a new soul come the next major update. There might be more hybrid option's for all the classes once that happens.

Rift Master

It all depends on how you like to play.

Default This is getting old

I'm sorry but I played during Greenscale/Hk and so on.
    And I must say build balance has NEVER been this good.

The game is absolutly full off builds to play in raids!
    I am not kidding when I say there are over 50-60 usefull builds in raids on different bosses.
    There are plenty of hyubrid builds as previously stated.

The fact is that I have 16 builds that I use for PvE on my rogue.
    Please don't tell me it was better beforee

+ Reply to Thread