+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another "help picking a class" thread =|

Shadowlander

Default Another "help picking a class" thread =|

Hey guys!
    Sorry for another one of these threads but I really don't know. So I'm returning to the game and can't decide on a class I want to play. I've previoisly played rogue all the way to level 55. Rolling another rogue is possible since I dont really remember any of it. I was thinking about mage or rogue but can't decide. I've read that mage is weak or something along those lines. Is that true? And how about rogues ? However I'm open to try some warrior / cleric builds. I'm gonna mostly do PvE and maybe PvP towards the endgame. Thanks alot in advance .

Quote Originally Posted by Burn this City View Post
    Hey guys!
    Sorry for another one of these threads but I really don't know. So I'm returning to the game and can't decide on a class I want to play. I've previoisly played rogue all the way to level 55. Rolling another rogue is possible since I dont really remember any of it. I was thinking about mage or rogue but can't decide. I've read that mage is weak or something along those lines. Is that true? And how about rogues ? However I'm open to try some warrior / cleric builds. I'm gonna mostly do PvE and maybe PvP towards the endgame. Thanks alot in advance .
    As far as weak vs strong in classes... its all cyclic, like any mmo. If X is the strongest, dont worry, there will be a patch within a few months that makes Y the strongest, when you switch to that one, there will be another patch that makes Z the strongest, it doesnt end

Play what you have fun playing... make a mage, play it to level 20, and see if you like it, if not, make another rogue, and see if that was as fun as you remember it. The good thing about rifts soul system is just about every class can do just about every role, just with a slightly different style... you just have to try them all until you find the one you like the best

You can ask 100 people which to pick, and you will get 100 different answers, and they will all be right for those people, but could all be wrong for you
    Soulraiser - 60 Cleric // Soulslayer - 60 Warrior // Soulshadow 60 Mage
    Faeblight NA
    http://www.dargaardknights.com
    Visit our recruiting thread HERE

I'd say that with rogues you can't go wrong. Patches change things, that's true, but rogues tend to be always in a good spot.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=806168&dateline=13715  70211

Shadowlander

Cheers for the replies will try mage first

Soulwalker

Dont. Mages are in a horrible spot right now. Hardest to master but no specific gain.

Shadowlander

Damn. Always liked mages . Well I have time to think about it since my rift isnt working :[

Soulwalker

Champion

Current class standings (imo):

The numbers means routinely the class will place in that position for DPS. IE: 2nd/4th means they can be 2nd in DPS but if they screw up they can/will drop to 4th.

Warrior's:
    1st ST Melee class
    1st ST Ranged class
    2nd AOE Melee/Ranged class
    Pretty straight forward rotation's/fairly easy to learn
    Very active Dev with multiple other Dev's that play this class.

Rogues:
    2nd ST Melee class
    2nd to 3rd ST Ranged class
    1st AOE class, 3 competitive AOE specs one of which is a 2 button spec that has amazing dps.
    Pretty straight forward rotation's/very easy to learn, some spec's are down to 2-6 buttons to maximize dps.

Cleric:
    2nd/3rd ST Melee class
    3rd/4th ST Ranged class
    3rd/4th AOE Melee class
    4th+ AOE ranged class (currently not used because of how bad it is...it is being looked at atm to fix)
    Pretty complex and engaging rotation/moderate to very hard learning curve to maximize dps.
    Only 1 DPS soul that is competitive which is both the best ST and best AOE soul of clerics. Any fight that has both ST and AOE in it Clerics have a good chance of being 2nd or even first.

Mage:
    2nd/4th ST Melee class (harb will loose massive DPS if played incorrectly)
    1st/3rd ST Ranged class (Warlocks just got changed making them amazing for high sustained low burst encounters)
    1st/3rd AOE class (only class I've seen break over 100k DPS in AOE fights)
    Fairly compex and engaging rotation/low to moderate learning curve to maximize dps.
    Has the ability to go harbcon which is a support spec that is competitive for top DPS.

Pha
    Soulwalker

Default Also in need of advice.

Instead of making a new thread, I'll just post my class question here:

I have been making the switch from WoW to Rift, maybe someone can give me insight as to what I played in WoW and a possible close representation here, in Rift.

Played a Frost/Fire mage for years, was rather bored with it. I rolled a Frost/Unholy DK close to the middle of Cataclysm and it was the funnest time I'd ever had on WoW.

Is there something within Rift that comes remotely close to how a Frost DK or Unholy DK operates?

+ Reply to Thread