+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3 new players: what's a good combination?

Soulwalker

Default 3 new players: what's a good combination?

Hey folks,

So 2 friends and I are going to begin playing soon. For the veterans out there: what 3 classes in combination would prove effective for leveling, running dungeons, etc?

Ascendant

anything really. just have fun with the class you play

warrior: melee dps, ranged dps, support, tank
    Cleric: melee dps, ranged dps, heal, tank
    Mage: melee dps, ranged dps, heal, support
    Rogue: melee dps, ranged dps, support, tank
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Ascendant

Well each Calling (class in Rift) has 3 out of the 4 combat roles available to them. Tank, Damage, Support and Healer. Each Calling is furthed divided into 9 Souls (sub-classes basically)

Rogue - Support, Tank and Damage
    Warrior - Support, Tank and Damage
    Cleric - Heal, Tank and Damage
    Mage - Heal, Damage and Support

A single character can store multiple builds and switch between them freely when out of combat (and like many I'd encourage you all to experiment with as many builds as possible, it'll pay off trust me). So it comes down more to playstyle than anything else when choosing a calling.

Levelling is pretty easy and will be especially so with 3 of you usually hunting together so don't worry about that. For dungeons though I recommend that at least you set yourselves up so you can cover the Tank and Healing yourselves so you're not reliant on PUGs for those critical roles. As above all classes but Mage can tank and both Clerics and Mages can heal. They're all more than proficient at these roles so don't worry about which is the "best".

Do you have something more specific you wanted to know about the indiividual souls or callings?

Edit: There's an overview of how Rift's class system works as well as a list of each calling's souls here on the main site if you have not read it yet: http://www.riftgame.com/en/characters/class-system/
    Last edited by Kedon; 02-27-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Soulwalker

We figured someone would need to be tank and another healing and a third DPS. Since each class can do each, are there some souls which do better than others at this? I figured clerics would be good at healing and fighters at tanking.

Are there any good synergies between certain callings that would prove most useful with 3 players?

Rift Chaser

No, it doesn't really matter which 3 you guys use. Pretty much as long as you have a healer, tank, and dps. I personally prefer my mage to heal, but then I haven't healed on my cleric in about a year. I know that they are just fine at healing. One difference between mages and cleric heals, is that mages heal through damage, so the group dps may be slightly higher.

Cleric, warrior, and rogue tanks all hold threat just fine, so whichever play style that person likes is what they should go with. Then the dps can pretty much be whatever class, they all deal decent damage.

You can in fact have 2 of the same class - I.e. 2 rogues and a cleric, or w/e. At the beginning levels, heals won't be super necessary, until around level 10ish.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Slat3 View Post
    We figured someone would need to be tank and another healing and a third DPS. Since each class can do each, are there some souls which do better than others at this? I figured clerics would be good at healing and fighters at tanking.

Are there any good synergies between certain callings that would prove most useful with 3 players?
    They all synergize well and all can perform their combat roles fairly evenly. It just comes down to differing playstyles really.

Warriors have 3 tanking souls (Paladin, Reaver and Void Knight) as opposed to Rogues' (Riftstalker) and Clerics' (Justicar) one which lets you mix up the gameplay a bit more as a Warrior. Though Riftstalkers and Justicars are at least as effective at tanking and have their own little perks too.

Clerics have 4 healing souls (Sentinel, Purifier, Defiler and Warden) with each soul being highly spcialized towards a particular style and type of healing. Mages just have the one in Chloromancer which is much more of an all-rounder (able to instantly swap between AoE and tank healing as required) and heals the group by attacking unlike Cleric's more 'classical' style.

Also outside of dungeons or fighting certain elite mobs (Major rifts for example) all three of you can play DPS souls.

Pretty much what everyone has said here. Only additional consideration is maybe 3 different classes would make gearing easier since you guys wouldn't need to roll/compete for drops. If you guys work well together it may not be an issue, but just something to think about. Otherwise, the classes are very versatile, so you'll be fine whichever combo you go with.

Soulwalker

Is there a list somewhere about each soul and what it's basically for? (i.e. Justicar=tank, Cholormancer= healing)

Soulwalker

Nevermind--it's on the classes page of the main site. I answered my own question

Ascendant

Yes on the main site, the short passage on each soul also states it's role: Tank, Damage, Support or Healing.

But for something a bit more detailed:

Mage
    Chloromancer - Healer
    Archon - Support
    Dominator - Um, it says Support but really its a bizarre mix of ranged AoE DPS and CC.
    Harbinger - Melee DPS
    Elementalist - Ranged DPS with pet
    Necromancer - Ranged DPS with pet
    Pyromancer - Ranged DPS
    Warlock - Ranged DPS
    Stormcaller - Ranged AoE DPS

Rogue
    Riftstalker - Tank
    Bard - Support
    Tactician - Support (kinda; mix of AoE DPS and some AoE heals)
    Assassin - Melee DPS
    Nightblade - Melee DPS
    Bladedancer - Melee DPS
    Saboteur - Ranged AoE DPS
    Marksman - Ranged DPS
    Ranger - Ranged DPS with pet.

Warrior
    Paladin - Tank
    Reaver - Tank (for now...)
    Void knight - Tank
    Beastmaster - Support with pet.
    Tempest - Ranged DPS
    Champion - Melee AoE DPS
    Warlord - Melee DPS
    Paragon - Melee DPS
    Riftblade - Melee DPS

Cleric

Justicar - Tank
    Sentinel - Healer
    Defiler - Healer
    Purifier - Healer
    Warden - Healer
    Druid - Melee DPS with pet.
    Shaman - Melee DPS
    Inquisitor - Ranged DPS
    Cabalist - Ranged AoE DPS.

Rift Chaser

for end game pvp choose rogue (and/or warrior).

for end game pve you can choose all.
    Last edited by jebeninick; 03-02-2014 at 10:10 AM.

+ Reply to Thread