• 1 Post By Fiskerton
  • 1 Post By OmegaDagger
  • 1 Post By Gunzip

Thread: [Help] choosing class

Soulwalker

Default [Help] choosing class

hello
    i'm new to the game
    choosing a class is very confusing in rift ..
    i'm trying to get a melee DPS which can heal himself and other party members but mainly DPS ... like Retu paladin in wow for example

so i'm looking for mainly DPS but also can tank and heal not the same efficiency of course but enough to be solo sometimes

it's not necessary but having a pet would be nice

after reading ..alot
    i came out with cleric > shaman,druid,sentinel
    but i wasn't very sure so i made this post

if you want to melee dps and heal at the same time in a group/raid setting, mage's harbinger would actually be better. But know that this game doesn't work like that. To maximize your output, you either dps or you heal, not both.

if all you want is a self-sustaining melee dps for soloing, all the classes can do that. rogue and warrior have the most choices in melee just in case you get bored.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Telaran

I am a wow newb but from what I understand the skill choices are very linear, meaning if you want dps u choose this class with these skills and thats what you get. If you then want to tank, (and your class has that option) you need to respec into the (one) tanking tree. I did play a lot of SWTOR and that is how it was. Very little choices, with very little options.

NOTE: I am not saying it is bad, just trying to explain what is different here in Rift

For Rift, AND THIS CANNOT BE STRESS ENOUGH, you do NOT choose a tank, or a dps, or a healer. You choose a class, e.g. rogue, and each class has options for almost ALL possible roles. In 3.0 all classes will have all roles, but currently it breaks down like this:

Clerics:
    MANY healing options
    1 Melee dps option
    1 Ranged dps option
    1 Tanking option

Rogues:
    MANY dps options
    1 Tanking option
    2 Support option

Mages:
    MANY dps options
    1 Healing option
    1 Support option

Warriors:
    MANY tanking options
    1 melee dps options
    1 Ranged dps option
    1 Support option

Before you flame me, the above list is not actually 100% accurate. I do not currently play all the classes at endgame, so I am simplifying a little, but the general idea is that mages and rogues have lost of dps options, with limited healing/tanking choices. Clerics have all the healing options, and warriors have the tanking options, but they can also both dps.

This is what makes Rift different that other MMO's. Choosing a class does NOT amount to choosing a role. At endgame, you are expected to be proficient with all the possible roles your class can play.

I currently run (on my Rogue) 11 specs. The only reason I do not have more is because those slots start to get a little expensive. Which, brings me to the next very important thing about Rift: You change specs for almost every encounter. There is no catch all spec that you run. As a rogue dps, I will change specs ~8 times in each raid.

The reason I am so adamant about this is because most people in Rift who come from other MMO's make the mistake of thinking, "I picked a rogue to play assassin, that is what I do and who I am. I sneak up on you and kill you." WRONG. You picked a rogue, so will will need to know:

61 ranger (Ranged DPS)
    61 Assassin (ST DPS with no dc's)
    NB/SIN (ST DPS with dc's and burn phase)
    61 BD (ST DPS + burst aoe)
    Sab (for trash aoe)
    61 MM (for purge and utility)
    61 Barb (for hard support)

AT BARE MINIMUM. There are also a multitude of not raiding specs that you can use for open world content and/or pvp. Because of this games easy role switching the overall concept of what a class means changes dramatically.

tl;dr: I am sorry for this rant, but I want you to get off on the right foot when changing from WOW to Rift. Class != Role. Rift is completely about versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaDagger View Post
    I am a wow newb but from what I understand the skill choices are very linear, meaning if you want dps u choose this class with these skills and thats what you get. If you then want to tank, (and your class has that option) you need to respec into the (one) tanking tree. I did play a lot of SWTOR and that is how it was. Very little choices, with very little options.

NOTE: I am not saying it is bad, just trying to explain what is different here in Rift

For Rift, AND THIS CANNOT BE STRESS ENOUGH, you do NOT choose a tank, or a dps, or a healer. You choose a class, e.g. rogue, and each class has options for almost ALL possible roles. In 3.0 all classes will have all roles, but currently it breaks down like this:

Clerics:
    MANY healing options
    1 Melee dps option
    1 Ranged dps option
    1 Tanking option

Rogues:
    MANY dps options
    1 Tanking option
    2 Support option

Mages:
    MANY dps options
    1 Healing option
    1 Support option

Warriors:
    MANY tanking options
    1 melee dps options
    1 Ranged dps option
    1 Support option

Before you flame me, the above list is not actually 100% accurate. I do not currently play all the classes at endgame, so I am simplifying a little, but the general idea is that mages and rogues have lost of dps options, with limited healing/tanking choices. Clerics have all the healing options, and warriors have the tanking options, but they can also both dps.

This is what makes Rift different that other MMO's. Choosing a class does NOT amount to choosing a role. At endgame, you are expected to be proficient with all the possible roles your class can play.

I currently run (on my Rogue) 11 specs. The only reason I do not have more is because those slots start to get a little expensive. Which, brings me to the next very important thing about Rift: You change specs for almost every encounter. There is no catch all spec that you run. As a rogue dps, I will change specs ~8 times in each raid.

The reason I am so adamant about this is because most people in Rift who come from other MMO's make the mistake of thinking, "I picked a rogue to play assassin, that is what I do and who I am. I sneak up on you and kill you." WRONG. You picked a rogue, so will will need to know:

61 ranger (Ranged DPS)
    61 Assassin (ST DPS with no dc's)
    NB/SIN (ST DPS with dc's and burn phase)
    61 BD (ST DPS + burst aoe)
    Sab (for trash aoe)
    61 MM (for purge and utility)
    61 Barb (for hard support)

AT BARE MINIMUM. There are also a multitude of not raiding specs that you can use for open world content and/or pvp. Because of this games easy role switching the overall concept of what a class means changes dramatically.

tl;dr: I am sorry for this rant, but I want you to get off on the right foot when changing from WOW to Rift. Class != Role. Rift is completely about versatility.
    Its obvious you did your homework, I commend you for that, when it comes to melee, rogues and warriors have the most options, rogue bard has great support. Its going to be a playstyle choice at this point for you, I would recommend either warrior or rogue in your case.

I quote the wrong person
    Last edited by Gunzip; 02-17-2014 at 02:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Soulwalker

thank you guys you helped alot
    choosing a class in rift is very confusing but unique ,interesting and fun .

i'll explore the classes more when i log into the game

i still haven't made my mind btw

Closed Thread