+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on Toughness

Rift Disciple

Default Question on Toughness

So, we all know the purpose of toughness and the requirements for each raid tier level. However, what I don't know is, does extra toughness over a tier's requirement provide any additional benefit for that tier?

For example, say I am fully T1 geared and have the 500 toughness required to tank T2. Once I get a T2 level gear piece and make it to 525, does that extra 25 toughness provide more protection, or is everything over 500 meaningless (until the next tier, presumably with a higher requirement)?

Quote Originally Posted by Nullity View Post
    So, we all know the purpose of toughness and the requirements for each raid tier level. However, what I don't know is, does extra toughness over a tier's requirement provide any additional benefit for that tier?

For example, say I am fully T1 geared and have the 500 toughness required to tank T2. Once I get a T2 level gear piece and make it to 525, does that extra 25 toughness provide more protection, or is everything over 500 meaningless (until the next tier, presumably with a higher requirement)?
    No. Just like extra hit does not. Once you reach 100% crit chance reduction...101% does nothing for you.

NOTE: This is why lots of people will use lower level gear with better stats or procs sometimes (hello alsbeth's tomes back in pre SL! Darkling skull???? been a while) because the lower hit doesnt matter if you are still at 100% hit rate commulatively. Tanks can do the same with toughness gear but I'm not as familiar with where they may choose to do this.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 02-14-2014 at 07:31 AM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    No. Just like extra hit does not. Once you reach 100% crit chance reduction...101% does nothing for you.

NOTE: This is why lots of people will use lower level gear with better stats or procs sometimes (hello alsbeth's tomes back in pre SL! Darkling skull???? been a while) because the lower hit doesnt matter if you are still at 100% hit rate commulatively. Tanks can do the same with toughness gear but I'm not as familiar with where they may choose to do this.
    This generally doesn't happen for tanks, because gear with higher toughness is from a higher tier and therefore has higher armor (and almost always has higher endurance).

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    This generally doesn't happen for tanks, because gear with higher toughness is from a higher tier and therefore has higher armor (and almost always has higher endurance).
    I was only talking about the ability to reduce critical hit chance since thats what the OP's question was about.

But you are right, I figured the endurance loss would be too severe for tanks to give up and was why I couldn't think of anything they might go down to like DPS or healers can do.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    The only possible exception to this with gear that gives toughness is drowned halls gear, but the armor difference outweighs any endurance gain in those cases.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 02-14-2014 at 12:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread