+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to game, cleric or mage?

Soulwalker

Default New to game, cleric or mage?

Completely new to the game, got a few questions.

1. Can a mage queue up as healer for instances? If yes, how well do they do as a healer? Can I keep my party/tank alive with ease?
    2. Which class is the most and least "engaging"? For example in WoW, I played a priest which was quite engaging for me. I had to constantly watch my teammates healths, debuffs, heal them, heal myself, keep moving, continue doing damage, etc. My hunter on the other hand was rather boring, I just sat there auto attacking and spamming skills
    3.Which class can round up a bunch of mobs and face tank them / aoe them while also sustaining yourself?
    Last edited by woodyfly; 02-09-2014 at 04:08 AM.

1. Yes, and yes. The mage healing soul is called Chloromancer: it has self-buffs called Veils that cause its life damage attacks to also heal group members, so you turn on a veil (Lifegiving Veil for AoE healing or Lifebound Veil for tank healing), then DPS the target to heal the group.
    2. All of the DPS specs boil down to following a certain ability priority while dealing with the fight mechanics for that specific encounter. Healing specs are more straightforward than what you're used to in WoW. Cleric healing specs tend to be somewhat more complex than Chloromancer, while mage DPS specs are more involved than cleric DPS specs.
    3. If you're talking about open-world questing, then the answer is all of them. However, mages will need the Harbinger soul to do so, which is not available unless you purchase the Storm Legion soul pack from the store.
    Last edited by Muspel; 02-09-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    3. If you're talking about open-world questing, then the answer is all of them. However, mages will need the Harbinger soul to do so, which is not available unless you purchase the Storm Legion soul pack from the store.
    This isn't strictly true. It's possible to solo most (not always all) open world stuff easily using a 61 necromancer/15 elementalist spec. Group quests intended for 3+ people can be soloed quite simply with a skeletal knight and soul bond. Just heal him up when he needs it and you can kill almost anything.
    Last edited by Lebac; 02-15-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Rift Disciple

You could also spec Lock and Necro to make a viable survivability hybrid for solo content as well. It would give you Essence Link, Life Leach, Mortality, Neddra's Essence, Draining Bolt, access to all three pets from Necro, not to mention endurance gain for more hp, and two ground AoEs for farming stuff. However you'd have to spec it differently if you wanted it to be more of a DPS soul, but still can be almost as good as Harb.

Oldschool chlorolock is the best option to do what he's referring to.

But dont bother with mage, as a long time mage i can tell you, go cleric.
    -=[ Virulent - 65 - P100 | Harlakk - 65 - P100 | Ascaroth - 62 - P95 | Brahman - 65 - P92 ]=-
    -=[ VirulentX - 70 - P100 | Harlakk - 70 - P92 | Ascaroth - 60 - P10 | BrahmanX - 1 - P0 ]=-
    | VIRALIST: 65 |

Quote Originally Posted by woodyfly View Post
    Completely new to the game, got a few questions.

1. Can a mage queue up as healer for instances? If yes, how well do they do as a healer? Can I keep my party/tank alive with ease?
    2. Which class is the most and least "engaging"? For example in WoW, I played a priest which was quite engaging for me. I had to constantly watch my teammates healths, debuffs, heal them, heal myself, keep moving, continue doing damage, etc. My hunter on the other hand was rather boring, I just sat there auto attacking and spamming skills
    3.Which class can round up a bunch of mobs and face tank them / aoe them while also sustaining yourself?
    1.) Yes. Chloromancers are excellent group/raid healers, and are fairly easy to play once you learn how their healing works.

2.) To me, they're both fairly 'engaging'. There are so many souls within each calling, you really can't just pick one over all the rest to say is the most engaging.

3.) Cleric would be your go to on this one. Mages can solo pretty well with Necro, but for the most part their AoE souls aren't all that. Clerics, on the other hand, have some fairly powerful AoE specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragerblade View Post
    Know your place and don't talk to me ok?
    Faeblight
    60 Cleric - 60 Mage - 60 Rogue

+ Reply to Thread