+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage vs cleric for dps and pvp!

Soulwalker

Default Mage vs cleric for dps and pvp!

I am recent to the game and currently playing a mage however every time I search and ask for help people tend to say the clerics do this better, etc., etc. I am looking to play in Pvp, raids, dungeons, you name it! My question is what does better, the mage or the cleric? I really prefer to stick to dps and not healing. Please be detailed as to builds too because I don't know where to start.

Mage has many choices for DPS specs, including one melee soul. Cleric has one ranged soul and two melee souls but they are still very good, clerics however have many more ways to contribute as a healer. Class balance changes all the time, take "grass is greener" comments with a grain of salt.

RIFT Guide Writer

The question is, do you want versatility or raw power?

If you want numerous options that can always help out in some way, the mage. They might not always be the best, but they'll always be useful to some extent.

If you just want straight up power, in healing, survival, or DPS, then go Cleric. They have better brute-force numbers and are always wanted because cleric heals are basically stupid-strong. That and the DPS specs are way easier to operate at max level, imo.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by evantide View Post
    The question is, do you want versatility or raw power?

If you want numerous options that can always help out in some way, the mage. They might not always be the best, but they'll always be useful to some extent.

If you just want straight up power, in healing, survival, or DPS, then go Cleric. They have better brute-force numbers and are always wanted because cleric heals are basically stupid-strong. That and the DPS specs are way easier to operate at max level, imo.
    ^ Grass is greener on the other side at it's finest.

for PVE raid:
    Mages = Multiple support variants (some of which can compete for top DPS spots), Multiple DPS variants, 1 always required heal soul.
    Cleric = Multiple situational heal souls, 1 tank soul, 1 ranged soul, 1 melee soul. Melee soul is a lot stronger than the ranged soul so if the fight can be meleed you want the Melee (Shaman) soul.
    for PVE dungeon:
    Mages= all of the above
    Cleric's= all of the above minus warden soul (heal soul).
    for PVP:
    mages = more or less same as above. Mages scale really strongly with gear. Chrolo is a beast in PVP with pvp gear. ChloroDom is the ban of casters (mage/cleric) when played properly
    clerics = Sent (not used in raids) best heal (mage/cleric) soul, Defiler (situational in raids/not really used in dungeon's) best support heal (if you have sent/chrolo), melee (Shaman) not really used in PVP due to no ability to handle disconnects and druid (not used in dungeons/raids) do "ok" in PVP. Inq (ranged DPS) our primary DPS soul for PVP, and Cab (not used in dungeons/raids) only really used in CQ (WF's the dps drop off for less targets makes this class less desirable). Cab is currently getting reworked to hopefully make it viable in Dungeons/Raids/PVP.

I'm pretty tired but hopefully this will make sense. Short of it is if you want 1 heal spec that can do all the content (PVE/PVP) with several DPS specs go mage. If you want several situational Heal spec's (some used in PVE, some used in PVP) with 2 PVE DPS specs and 2 PVP DPS spec's go cleric. Cleric also has a great Tank spec which the mage does not have (3.0 mage is getting a tank spec).

Rift Chaser

dont take mages or cleric, they suck in pvp, try warrior or rogue.
    if you wanna be healer in pvp then take sentinel cleric.
    dont waste time for mages and cleric if you wanna play mainly pvp.

+ Reply to Thread