+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new player class help

Soulwalker

Default new player class help

Hi all, im a pretty casual player and im just starting rift. I havent played mmo's for a while so the concept of changing roles ect is quite new to me. I'm hoping for a melee class that can either tank or dd/solo but at the same time be needed and not be discarded at higher levels. If not i dont mind being a ranged cleric primarily for healing.

Sounds like you want to be a Warrior, Rogue, or Cleric.

All classes can solo effectively. All classes but Mage can tank (but that will change with the next expansion some time this year).
    Tanks or healers are in more demand than DPS.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Sounds like you want to be a Warrior, Rogue, or Cleric.

All classes can solo effectively. All classes but Mage can tank (but that will change with the next expansion some time this year).
    Tanks or healers are in more demand than DPS.
    Ok i'll probably go with warrior for tanking but do tanks stick around for endgame? in the other games i've played they're only useful until the other classes get good gear and push them aside making it hard to get into squads later on.

Well yeah, every dungeon/raid needs at least one tank (unless you're at level 60 doing level 50 dungeons ..). Even zone events can use a tank to keep the boss off the squishy people.

Soulwalker

ok cool, its good to know tanks still have a place :P tyvm

Just an FYI Warriors , Rogues and Clerics all have tank souls ( specs )
    They all have melee and range specs as well. Warriors and Rogues have support specs but do not have healing souls ( not until the next expansion ) Clerics have multiple healing specs.

As of right now if you want the most versitile character to start out , you might choose cleric - they have mulitple melee souls including Druid which has pets, they have a few ranged DPS souls, multiple healing souls, and 1 tank soul.
    " Tonight Defiants ! ... I will PVP u ! " Pukk
    " Sometime when Im alone ... I buff myself" Bigmojo

Deepwood -- Ermak LvL 64 Cleric Bigmojo LvL 60 Mage Pukk LvL 60 Rogue Brutikuz LvL 60 Warrior Wildmoon LvL 4x Primalist

Just remember that you need to learn more than just tanking if you want to be valuable to groups (this is the multiple roles thing this game is all about). Raids for example will only need 1-3 tanks at a time, if you cannot do anything but tank you hinder your raid's ability to adjust to different encounters.

+ Reply to Thread