+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Class Help: Open to Most!

Soulwalker

Default Class Help: Open to Most!

I'll be a free to play account, but I was an original subscriber for a three month period when the game first released. Not sure if that will net me any loyalty, but I won't have access to the new souls.

So here's things that I enjoy in these games:

1. The ability to solo. Don't mind grouping, but soloing is more my wheelhouse.
    2. The ability to damage. Doesn't have to be the highest ability, but I like doing damage versus, say, tanking. Tried tanking when the game first released and I was terrible at it.
    3. I don't mind utilizing "pets"
    4. I prefer close range combat, but not married to the idea.
    5. Healing is a chore for me, but I understand it may be necessary to solo, but don't want to be relied upon in a group setting necessarily.
    6. I will be very casual. My job is demanding, and my family is priority. So I'm not really looking to raid. Group/Dungeons? Sure. Looking for fun/excitement rather than raid capability.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I was a warrior first time through, and I enjoyed the experience as a DPS Warrior. But I'm really open to pretty much anything. The class that I've enjoyed the least in other games is "cleric", but I realize things in Rift aren't really the same as the other games. 100% open to advice/suggestions based on my criteria.

Thanks for any replies, it's very appreciated.
    Last edited by Deckk; 01-23-2014 at 06:35 AM.

Mage (you need to have bought Storm Legion to use the melee soul), Cleric, Rogue, or Warrior.

All callings can do all of those things. And some time this year, their flexibility will be increased further. So you need more specific criteria to narrow it down.

The only sticky point is #6. If you don't want to ever tank or heal, be prepared for long dungeon queues.
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 01-23-2014 at 06:52 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    The only sticky point is #6. If you don't want to ever tank or heal, be prepared for long dungeon queues.
    I don't mind either. Tanking is usually a fun experience for me, but I was such a failure when I tried it when the game released that it's kind of a sore subject. Hah!

Here's some more brass tacks criteria that may help people give advice:

-Don't mind "spell" classes for ranged, but not a fan of shooting bows and arrows.
    -I like seeing "big" (doesn't have to be enormous) numbers flash across my screen for damage.
    -I don't like a ton of down time, but realize it's necessary.
    -Stealth is fun, but so is running up and smashing something square in the face.
    -I like survivability. Whether it's in the form of a pet, or the class itself. I don't like being "squishy".

For leveling via questing I think any of these builds will work for you:
    Rogue: Bladedancer (very sturdy when played right), or Nightblade/Riftstalker (good AoE, little downtime). The rogue pet class is ranged.
    Mage: Elementalist (pet + spells), or Necromancer (pet + spells), or a combination, or Harbinger/Chloromancer (melee).
    Cleric: Druid/Justicar (pet + melee + burst single target damage)
    Warrior: Warlord/Champion (melee, great AoE and survivability). There's probably a viable Beastmaster (pet) spec too, but BM isn't very popular.

There are leveling guides for all of these out there in the respective class guides forum or valvalval.net for Mage.

When you get to grouping you will want to have a more pure DPS spec because presumably there'll be a healer for you, but one of the great things about Rift is the ability to carry around multiple roles and switch between them when out of combat. Again see the class guides forums.

So really it comes down to personal preference or the meta game. You can try all 4 callings for free and see what you like.

Playstyles:
    Rogue: Only calling with a 1s global cooldown on all souls, so 'feels' the fastest. The other callings have 1.5s GCD on most specs. Only calling with a perma stealth soul, but most specs can do a 30s stealth. Build up to 5 combo points with 'builders' and spend them with a 'finisher'. Also energy management, but energy is not a problem on most specs.
    Warrior: Build up to 3 attack points and spend them with a finisher. Also energy management, but energy is not a problem on most specs.
    Mage: Build up charge (0-100+ scale) with spells and then spend charge on high damage abilities or a flat +damage toggle. Also mana management.
    Cleric: No special class mechanics, just mana management, but most specs don't mana starve naturally. Will be expected to heal in groups (you can DPS if you want, but ...).

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    For leveling via questing I think any of these builds will work for you:
    Rogue: Bladedancer (very sturdy when played right), or Nightblade/Riftstalker (good AoE, little downtime). The rogue pet class is ranged.
    Mage: Elementalist (pet + spells), or Necromancer (pet + spells), or a combination, or Harbinger/Chloromancer (melee).
    Cleric: Druid/Justicar (pet + melee + burst single target damage)
    Warrior: Warlord/Champion (melee, great AoE and survivability). There's probably a viable Beastmaster (pet) spec too, but BM isn't very popular.

There are leveling guides for all of these out there in the respective class guides forum or valvalval.net for Mage.

When you get to grouping you will want to have a more pure DPS spec because presumably there'll be a healer for you, but one of the great things about Rift is the ability to carry around multiple roles and switch between them when out of combat. Again see the class guides forums.

So really it comes down to personal preference or the meta game. You can try all 4 callings for free and see what you like.

Playstyles:
    Rogue: Only calling with a 1s global cooldown on all souls, so 'feels' the fastest. The other callings have 1.5s GCD on most specs. Only calling with a perma stealth soul, but most specs can do a 30s stealth. Build up to 5 combo points with 'builders' and spend them with a 'finisher'. Also energy management, but energy is not a problem on most specs.
    Warrior: Build up to 3 attack points and spend them with a finisher. Also energy management, but energy is not a problem on most specs.
    Mage: Build up charge (0-100+ scale) with spells and then spend charge on high damage abilities or a flat +damage toggle. Also mana management.
    Cleric: No special class mechanics, just mana management, but most specs don't mana starve naturally. Will be expected to heal in groups (you can DPS if you want, but ...).
    Excellent, excellent help. Thanks! Will look into these! Appreciate it!

+ Reply to Thread