+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Returning Player

Soulwalker

Default Returning Player

I played Rift for about half a year a while back and thought I'd get into it, again. I had a lvl 60 mage but getting right back into end-game is a bit daunting after so long. So, I figured I would make a cleric healer or a warrior tank and cash in on that short group queue.

Problem is, it's been a while since I last played (several patches and updates ago). So, I have a few questions:

1. Rather off topic, but did they ever fix the mage souls so that everything didn't rely on pyro/harb? I loved playing warlock and stormcaller, but everyone in groups was always 'go pyro harb more damage hurrr'. It got old and was one of the reasons I left.

2. Anything changed with the cleric souls? If I recall correctly, Sentinel was a tank healer and druid a raid healer. Anything changed about them? Any recommendations/tips for leveling one up?

3. I love tanks and support in MMORPGs. I always wanted to make a tank in Rift, but it seemed such a huge responsibility and it was 100% gear dependent. Making a paladin and void knight based warrior sounds fun, though. Anything change with warrior tanking?

1. Pyro and Harb (separate specs) are both still great DPS specs. Warlock is also viable now. Necromancer is useful for low geared players or if you don't have a Defiler (raid-wise).

2. Sentinel is a tank healing soul but in raids it is generally superceded by either Purifier or Chloro. The first due to the ability to provide shielding and more mitigation, the second due to Chloro providing more personal DPS and being able to switch to raid healing.

Warden is the raid healing soul. Druid is a soloing/DPS soul and great to use for leveling.

3. Warrior tanking has had a few changes depending when you left, and are about to get a few more (going up on PTS soon if they haven't already). They should hopefully improve the QoL of playing them as well as making Reaver a viable alternative to Cleric add threat.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    1. Pyro and Harb (separate specs) are both still great DPS specs. Warlock is also viable now. Necromancer is useful for low geared players or if you don't have a Defiler (raid-wise).

2. Sentinel is a tank healing soul but in raids it is generally superceded by either Purifier or Chloro. The first due to the ability to provide shielding and more mitigation, the second due to Chloro providing more personal DPS and being able to switch to raid healing.

Warden is the raid healing soul. Druid is a soloing/DPS soul and great to use for leveling.

3. Warrior tanking has had a few changes depending when you left, and are about to get a few more (going up on PTS soon if they haven't already). They should hopefully improve the QoL of playing them as well as making Reaver a viable alternative to Cleric add threat.
    I hated that every mage was more or less a pyro/harb build. I got so sick of the arrogance with every clone build out there.

I looked at Druid while I last played on a newbie character. It did look kind of fun. I wasn't too keen on pet classes, though. My mage was primarily a warlock or stormcaller, or a chloro in parties.

+ Reply to Thread