+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: New player class help?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default New player class help?

    So I just saw an ad for the game today and figured I'd give it a try since it's free and all. When it comes to mmo's I typically like to be able to solo most content, because I find unless you're willing to put in a lot of time and effort with a clan, you get stuck with randoms that you can't rely on. I tried searching the forums but a lot of the solo class threads are dated and I don't know how much has changes since the time of their posting.

    I do apologize if those threads are still relevant but I wasn't sure and I didn't want to follow a build that no longer works. If someone could post a build that would be great too. =)

  2. #2
    Ascendant Crithappens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    My first question is: How much are you expecting to be able to solo? I'm worried your expectations might be a little high.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

  3. #3
    Ascendant forbiddenlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,761

    Default

    I don't see an actual question?

    Every class can pretty much level any way they want until level 50. At/above level 50 (which used to be level cap), the difficulty increases and you should have a good soloing spec, but again every class has a few of those. For example, the mage's Harbinger (valvalval.net) or the warrior "perfect solo", or rogue bladedancer (or grandpa's build).

    Rift places an emphasis on public groups. Don't worry, they're low key and trivial to join. But closing that rift will probably be easier for you if you click that Join Public Group button that pops up at the top.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    My first question is: How much are you expecting to be able to solo? I'm worried your expectations might be a little high.
    As much as possible. Unless this is strictly a game that forces you to play in groups, in which case this might no be my kind of game. It's not to say that I want to be able to solo things easily, I just want a class or build that makes it doable, even if it is difficult.

    And in regards to my question, I just want to know which class and build is most ideal for soloing pretty much everything that can be solo'd.

  5. #5
    RIFT Guide Writer TheGrinnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brids17 View Post
    As much as possible. Unless this is strictly a game that forces you to play in groups, in which case this might no be my kind of game. It's not to say that I want to be able to solo things easily, I just want a class or build that makes it doable, even if it is difficult.

    And in regards to my question, I just want to know which class and build is most ideal for soloing pretty much everything that can be solo'd.
    The game generally doesn't force anything of the sort, I've solo leveled most of my characters. However the endgame is focused mainly around raiding and group dungeons, you will likely run out of interesting content without a guild. But the great thing is, even for rifts which are designed for 2-3 people or zone events/invasions which are designed for lots more, you can click "Join Public Group" to automatically group with whoever else is there, and just leave when it's done.

    All classes have viable solo specs, with different pros and cons, but right now I would say the strongest overall are Cleric (Druidicar) and Mage (Harb/Chloro).

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    However the endgame is focused mainly around raiding and group dungeons, you will likely run out of interesting content without a guild.
    Is it possible to solo any of the group dungeons? I remember back when I player wow a time ago there were some vanilla raids that you could beat since the level cap had been raised so much. Is there anything similar to that in this game?

  7. #7
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brids17 View Post
    Is it possible to solo any of the group dungeons? I remember back when I player wow a time ago there were some vanilla raids that you could beat since the level cap had been raised so much. Is there anything similar to that in this game?
    Only if you're significantly above the intended level.

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Well, how about afew suggestions:

    1. Melee dps cleric + a cute fairy pet that follows around and heal you automatically. Every hit you whack, you get healed too. you also get a self shield that absorbs 25% of damage. 1-man killing machine?

    2. Ranged DOT cleric. 35meters (max range in this game) shoot a mob, while it runs towards you, plant so many DOTs on it that when it reaches you, it falls dead very soon after that. Pretty boring though, you may fall asleep :P Also can do awesome serious damage in pvp warfronts. Comes with a +50% running speed skill that is perfect for running away, a absorb shield, a spam heal. These are configurable options :P

    the fun about rift is you can mix and match until you get something you are comfortable with. max range or a nice defensive shield or that heal? up to you.

    As you can see, I'm having fun with this cleric char of mine

  9. #9
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    22

    Default

    oh the best part is, the above 2 suggestions can be squeezed into 1 cleric character, press a button and you switch from #1 to #2 vice versa

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Cleric sounds like something I'd like playing. =) Anyone have a build for me to follow? I read somewhere that to respec you have to spend money, so I don't really want to get stuck paying money if it's not a game I'm super into.

  11. #11
    Ascendant forbiddenlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,761

    Default

    respecs cost ingame currency, not real money, and are cheap. This isn't Neverwinter.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts