+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: name a soul thread concearn

Rift Disciple

Default name a soul thread concearn

I saw so many people use druid, shaman and other classes that, while not "official" have been mentioned(by devs) or seen in game.

I realize many people, some of whom probably have zero interest in Rift, gave suggestions simply holding onto the hope that they will be responsible for naming a class in an MMO. I realize that many have yet to do much if any investigating into what Rift has to offer.

but it really irked me to see someone with 300+ posts mention both shaman and druid.
    you would assume someone with that many posts here, would atleast have a semi clue as to what is already known about the game

confirmed yet unofficial list of classes http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...8Class-List%29

Edited for link
    Last edited by shebs; 10-05-2010 at 05:49 PM.

I dont quite understand what you are asking to be debated in this thread but devs have the final say in what classes will be named and i do not see what harm is done by simply throwing in suggestions even if they do not know anything about the game. What if they actually came up with a real original name that has not already been used in every other MMO already. The devs could just have writers block and cant think of a original name for their class and want to see if hundreds of other people could give them an idea.

If you are talking about people who debating what the best class tree will look like already, then that also irritates me, because i know some people are simply gonna assume that, if they come from WoW, druids and paladins are the only classes that will pwn anyones faces because they did in WoW.

And i wouldnt care how many post someone has, some people could just be posting two words at a time to make those numbers look really good.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish View Post
    I dont quite understand what you are asking to be debated in this thread but devs have the final say in what classes will be named and i do not see what harm is done by simply throwing in suggestions even if they do not know anything about the game. What if they actually came up with a real original name that has not already been used in every other MMO already. The devs could just have writers block and cant think of a original name for their class and want to see if hundreds of other people could give them an idea.

If you are talking about people who debating what the best class tree will look like already, then that also irritates me, because i know some people are simply gonna assume that, if they come from WoW, druids and paladins are the only classes that will pwn anyones faces because they did in WoW.

And i wouldnt care how many post someone has, some people could just be posting two words at a time to make those numbers look really good.
    not really looking for a debate, just stating what i feel.

my concern is that druid and shaman are already(unconfirmed) classes and people are still suggesting them as a name for this new class.
    it would be like asking someone to name a rank in the US military and they throw out sergeant and major

/agree with the best skill tree debate
    Last edited by shebs; 10-05-2010 at 05:50 PM.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I've been following this game since it was 'Heroes of Telara' and i suggested 'Druid' because to me, that class sounds like a Druid. So what?

Quote Originally Posted by Kithiel View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about. I've been following this game since it was 'Heroes of Telara' and i suggested 'Druid' because to me, that class sounds like a Druid. So what?
    I agree with your sentiment. Everything is still subject to change. If someone truly feels the Cholormancer should be the Druid, and the current soul whose name is Druid should be something else, then they are entitled to that opinion and should state it in the naming thread.

My suggestions (in order of preference) were:

Keeper
    Vitaemancer
    Heliomancer
    Harmonist

"That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die."
    --H.P. Lovecraft

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kithiel View Post
    /facepalm

THERE ALREADY IS A DRUID CLASS

Quote Originally Posted by shebs View Post
    /facepalm

See my post above. It was a suggestion thread, after all. Kithiel is well aware of that.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die."
    --H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by shebs View Post
    /facepalm

Did i miss something? Im looking at the announced classes and druid is not up there yet.

Druid was leaked at Gamescom, but not officially announced. We don't have any soul trees or anything, all we know is that they have a fairy pet. Hopefully we'll get more info soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Druid was leaked at Gamescom, but not officially announced. We don't have any soul trees or anything, all we know is that they have a fairy pet. Hopefully we'll get more info soon!
    OoooOOOooo! I want a fairy pet. I'll have to work that soul in to one of my Cleric roles.

--H.P. Lovecraft

Although I do think names of the different classes are cool and interesting and they are giving us a chance to put in our vote for a name, in the end, I could care less. I wanna just wanna play the game, cholormancer or vitamin enchanter, treehugger, whatever. Doesn't impact me much.

Far back as I can remember Paladins have never been the same much from game to game. So guess it's just what the devs ultimately choose. I would stick to names within a D&D background simply cause I think it's what most are familiar with.

Most Likely to be: Defiant - Cleric Calling (PvP Server)

How can something be confirmed but unofficial? Wouldn't the confirmation make it official, because the confirmation would come FROM an official?

I think a lot of reasoning behind people suggesting druid is because there has been no official information stating that there will be a Cleric soul called Druid. Not everybody has seen the information from Gamescon, and even those that have may have missed it because they may have been looking for specific info on something else.

In all honesty most of the suggestions in the thread were quite bland, mine included. For one thing I dislike mage classes being using -mancy/mancer as it pertains specifically to divination and fortune telling, and its use in popular culture has butchered the meaning of the word.

I fail to see why they cannot use something as simple as Wizard. Using healing spells and drawing power from nature really doesn't need to have a complicated name. Wizard was commonly used when referring to Sages and Philosophers in the middle ages. There is no true distinction between a Wizard wielding Arcane magic, Natural phenomena or just plain old wisdom. Just like Divination is connected to Mages in pop-culture yet , its true meaning is simply convening with the divine to foresee future events; To me this points toward Priests and Clerics, not Mages and sorcery.

Wicca: An Old English masculine noun meaning "male witch, wizard, soothsayer, sorcerer, magician;"
    Wicce: An Old English feminine noun meaning "female magician, sorceress,"
    Wikkjaz: (one who wakes the dead) "necromancer"

I think the only name I could come up with on my own was Dendromancer; but I still did not like it as it was referring to divination (Devine Magic), and Dendro just seemed like a crap word. Which is why I would just rather see Druid or Wizard used to be completely honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Primathule View Post
    How can something be confirmed but unofficial? Wouldn't the confirmation make it official, because the confirmation would come FROM an official?
    I would not consider anything official until release day. Age of Conan taught me that the hard way with the Master Thief class.

If they're already planning on druid and shaman souls as they've said, I don't think they will choose one of those names for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Elth View Post
    I think a lot of reasoning behind people suggesting druid is because there has been no official information stating that there will be a Cleric soul called Druid. Not everybody has seen the information from Gamescon, and even those that have may have missed it because they may have been looking for specific info on something else.

In all honesty most of the suggestions in the thread were quite bland, mine included. For one thing I dislike mage classes being using -mancy/mancer as it pertains specifically to divination and fortune telling, and its use in popular culture has butchered the meaning of the word.

I fail to see why they cannot use something as simple as Wizard. Using healing spells and drawing power from nature really doesn't need to have a complicated name. Wizard was commonly used when referring to Sages and Philosophers in the middle ages. There is no true distinction between a Wizard wielding Arcane magic, Natural phenomena or just plain old wisdom. Just like Divination is connected to Mages in pop-culture yet , its true meaning is simply convening with the divine to foresee future events; To me this points toward Priests and Clerics, not Mages and sorcery.

Wicca: An Old English masculine noun meaning "male witch, wizard, soothsayer, sorcerer, magician;"
    Wicce: An Old English feminine noun meaning "female magician, sorceress,"
    Wikkjaz: (one who wakes the dead) "necromancer"

I think the only name I could come up with on my own was Dendromancer; but I still did not like it as it was referring to divination (Devine Magic), and Dendro just seemed like a crap word. Which is why I would just rather see Druid or Wizard used to be completely honest.

I would not consider anything official until release day. Age of Conan taught me that the hard way with the Master Thief class.
    This is why I like "Keeper."

It's short, sweet, full of meaning, and has many connotations which pertain to plants and the class itself (e.g. Groundskeeper). It really elicits, in my mind at least, an image of someone pruning plants, spreading life and death at the same time. It hits all the points of the class in a simple, two-syllable word!

I agree there are too many "-mancer" names on the list, even though I suggested one myself. I like Pyromancer, Necromancer, and even Chronomancer, but at some point the names just become silly. Most people don't want to play a class with a cumbersome name, even if that name technically describes the class perfectly.

--H.P. Lovecraft

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast