+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nothin' but crits!

Soulwalker

Default Nothin' but crits!

Hello Rift community!

A few of my family members and their friends recently switched over to Rift. We are all classic WoW players and are always trying to find a game we can all play together online. I finally agreed to play Rift and I am dreadful when it comes to making decisions! They are all talking about raids, but I think I might be a more casual player with my sights set on PvP... with the occasional carry in high end dungeons perhaps. So here is my question.. which class should I choose? I always play warrior for decent armor and high crits, but I notice that maybe even playing a rogue would be a better choice for the shorter cooldowns and still being a possibility to tank ( or off tank ) in a dungeon. I am 100% new here so PLEASE rift community.. give me some opinions. I am very eager to play and hate looking at the creation screen!

Soulwalker

Also, please keep in mind that I am more interested in PvP at the moment. I might end up loving the game and agree to a perma core spot however.

Rogue dps tends to be smaller hits but more of them due to procs from poisons or a few other passive dot procs. Warrior dont have many procs and less dots so you seena lot of the big numbers as a warrior and you see smaller numbers as a rogue but more of those smaller numbers to somewhat even it out. Rift has had warriors either on top of dps meters or changes inc to put them back there pretty consistanly since ive been playing. That being said right now is prob the closest to 4 class balance as we have ever seen. Pvp wise they are really close to equal in most aspects. Rogues have utility stealth, warriors have sick ranged dps and wl that can face tank and rack up kills

Rift is not like other MMO's, like WoW for example. It is nothing like WoW as far as the way the classes work.

If you want to be able to go into the open world and not walk around in stealth all the time then I would say go Warrior or Mage. You can pretty much be a melee warrior dps Warrior as a Mage due to the way the different souls work. You would be able to be melee dps and also be able to heal yourself up. Mages are fun to play so you do see allot of them. The thing is there are not much good ones, just like any class.

I am a Prestige Rank 80 Rogue and as far as PvP goes. It is a blast, the only thing is you have to be in stealth so you can open from stealth for you're best dmg. Yeah if you get attacked you can always Slip Away and open on them but still. Slip Away is something you want to use as an offensive skill. Many Rogues will use it to get out of dodge but I use it to be able to use my from stealth opener back onto the player/players I am fighting. I would rather lose a 1v1 then run away.

Warriors are the number melee class as far as dmg + survival. As a Rogue you can open on a good warrior and that warrior will kick youre ***.

I would say for you since you played a Warrior in WoW. I would go Warrior. I played a Marksman in WoW so I went Rogue in Rift and found that I like Assassin just as much as Ranged Marksman DPS. The only issue with Marksman right now is there is no survival in that soul at all. So I cant use it in open world PvP or War Fronts that dont have the healers we often need.

Some Rogues will tell you that you can play just like a Warrior. Those Rogues are the kind that don't PvP and if they do its with a pocket healer.

As far as 1v1 goes Warrior vs Rogue. I do beat the best on the shard, but it is only because I open from Stealth. If I was walking around not in stealth I would get beat by them most likely. Unless its a Freelancer/Warlord that doesnt have the correct role for killing Rogues.

You also will not be able to tell how you're class really plays untill you are 60 and in all PvP gear and Runed up. when I was in the 50-55 WF's Marksman was kicking ***. Same with the 20-29, ect. It was due to the lack of Valor and Vengeance scaling.

So don't think just because you are doing good with the 3 souls you pick at 20,30,40 or 50 will be any good at 60.

GL and I hope you have fun playing Rift, It is a great game. The only issue with it is the lack of PvP incentives as far as open world goes and that Trion thinks they need to raise the lvl cap. They can change the souls around without doing so. That way it will keep so much of the parts of the world that isnt used for PvP at all alive and they can add on to make even more PvP daily areas. Defending Arches from other players,ect.. They just dont seem to be able to think outside the box.

Just my 2c, I disagree with about half of what Onem3o says. A lot of his comments seem open-world pvp and rogue assassin focused, so just a few words on that. Open world pvp in Rift is pretty much dead, and you can avoid it entirely just by playing on a pve server. If you do do open-world pvp, keep in mind that assassins have a huge advantage because they can be permanently stealthed. Meaning that they can wait until you blow a couple cooldowns on a mob, then just jump out and kill you while the mob is also attacking you. There is basically no counter to stealth. If they start losing the fight for some reason they can slip away as Ome3o mentioned. 1v1 rogues are considered better than warriors even when they don't have the advantage of surprise.

In warfronts, probably the most fun kind of rift pvp, and one that people still do, rogues have a large number of viable if not top specs such as marksman (ranged dmg), assassin, nightblade, bladedancer (all melee dps), saboteur (ranged aoe damage), and tactician/bard (support and healing). Marksman is an extremely good dps soul to use when healing is not available, because it's faster than every other build in the game---you can just run away and self-heal if you get in trouble.

Warriors have the best pvp dps spec atm (tempest) but have a smaller number of viable souls. Tempest is also a mage-y ranged class (shooting lightning, etc), which bothers many warriors. OP mentions armor as a reason to play warrior, but armor is usually considered not very important in PvP because of the amount of non-physical damage and the armor bypass skills many physical damage builds have.

Anyway, all is IMHO (I play mage btw). I would tilt you towards rogue because I think you might have a more interesting time playing all the different roles. OTOH if you play warrior you can do extremely well, but may have fewer choices. Finally, the devs are often tweaking balance so who knows how the classes will play in 3 months.
    Last edited by Malcanthe; 01-20-2014 at 07:14 AM.

+ Reply to Thread