+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Does anyone feel that allowing every class to be able to take every role is bad?

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    31

    Default Does anyone feel that allowing every class to be able to take every role is bad?

    It ruins the uniqueness of certain class. I mean, its fine if warriors can tank and be a damage dealer. mage can be support and damage dealer. cleric can be damage dealer and a healer. rogue damage dealer and support. but expanding it where it doesnt matter what class you choose at all and allow mages to tank expert dungeons (makes no sense) does it make you feel unease with this kind of implement?

  2. #2
    Ascendant Credo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,172

    Default

    I would prefer it.
    Even free cost too much now

  3. #3
    Ascendant dday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    I personally hate it. I would much rather have the game more alt friendly ( shared grinds, currency ect ect) then blend everyone together

  4. #4
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,277

    Default

    Doesnt bother me at all.

    Particularly since the "Mage/Cleric y u no heal" garbage in warfronts will be a thing of the past.

  5. #5
    Ascendant dday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pett View Post
    Doesnt bother me at all.

    Particularly since the "Mage/Cleric y u no heal" garbage in warfronts will be a thing of the past.
    warriors are getting an aoe soul so it won't be totally gone. can't wait for 8 healer wfs though when rogues get a st heal soul

  6. #6
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dday View Post
    warriors are getting an aoe soul so it won't be totally gone. can't wait for 8 healer wfs though when rogues get a st heal soul
    I would wait until it gets released before thinking that. I've seen the rumours and the other threads but i doubt they would introduce a pure aoe healing soul.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Credo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pett View Post
    Doesnt bother me at all.

    Particularly since the "Mage/Cleric y u no heal" garbage in warfronts will be a thing of the past.
    I've seen mages and clerics both get mad about lack of heals
    That nonsense will never go away
    Even free cost too much now

  8. #8
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    I've seen mages and clerics both get mad about lack of heals
    That nonsense will never go away
    Thanks for destroying my dream

    but yeah, know what you mean

  9. #9
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    29

    Default

    I think it is the best thing they could possibly do for the game, and I disagree that identity is lost because of this as they manage to retain the style of the class. The key is separating the job being done and the style in which it is done. If your mmo experience is wide enough I'm sure you've seen examples of classes pulling off roles other then what they were intended for when **** hits the fan (usually tank), especially any game where they are lacking a tank specific stat like rift has in toughness to bar the other classes out. Take our current examples:

    Cleric Tank: Just as you would expect it generates massive threat via healing and has the perk of being able to use said heal aggro to pick up treat from range with ease. In other mmo's I have seen cleric's become the effective tank should the real one go down due to said aggro and by focus healing themselves truly tank the mobs till the dps can down it. Flavor holds true!

    Rogue Tank: In other games usually survives by using powerful evasive cooldowns (especially guaranteed evades) to hold up by effectively dodging the skills that would one shot or break the rogue. Effective use of los etc to reduce damage etc. While the way the rogue has threat is like a true tank in rift not by damage they retain the rogue feel by being ungodly mobile and having the most cooldowns of any tank. Flavor maintained!

    Having played all current tanks I can honestly say that they all maintain the feel of their respective classes.

    Mage Healer: Heals while doing damage! pew pew hard tank gets heals, While examples of this from other games are much harder to find the class style is preserved. It feels nothing like a cleric healer while getting the same end result.

    Mage Tank: (as you mention this one specifically) In many games including old school rift I have tanked with a mage. It's all about the right tool for the job and as a mage that has always been by using a pet to do the tanking and using shielding for myself and pet heals to get the job done. Of all the other examples from other games this is the one that usually can pull off a true 100% replacement best as they tend to get pets actually intended to take a beating. Trion used this as a starting line for creating their mage tank, and while I believe comments from testers indicate that the new mage tank has steered away from this for technical reasons I have no doubt they will be able to make a tank with a distinct mage feel.

    The point is to not associate the job being done with a class, its to keep the feel of the class while doing the job. The cleric heals by calling on the favor of the gods, the mage heals by stealing life essence from the enemy to give to his party, the rogue heals by science n scalpel! The war tanks by "taking it like a man" shrugging off blows with thick armor, The rogue tanks by being quick and evasive, The cleric tanks by healing out the *** (true tanks of pvp since forever).

  10. #10
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotlipz View Post
    It ruins the uniqueness of certain class.
    It really doesn't, because the playstyles are unique regardless. For instance, DPS souls feel very different in spite of the fact that every class has at least three of them.

    It's not about what you do, it's about how you do it.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Frozen wastes
    Posts
    191

    Default

    I think that as it is, it's a bad idea. But, I don't think that the idea that any character can fit any roll it'self is a bad idea. My thought on the matter, would be resources could be better spent rebalancing the existing souls, and removing the callings. The callings are something I've always had issues with.

  12. #12
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotlipz View Post
    It ruins the uniqueness of certain class. I mean, its fine if warriors can tank and be a damage dealer. mage can be support and damage dealer. cleric can be damage dealer and a healer. rogue damage dealer and support. but expanding it where it doesnt matter what class you choose at all and allow mages to tank expert dungeons (makes no sense) does it make you feel unease with this kind of implement?
    The problem is the hybrid system IMO ...every class(or soul /wtvr we call it) should be equal with a 61 point , hybridation (if that word even exist) should be there just for fun

  13. #13
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    It really doesn't, because the playstyles are unique regardless. For instance, DPS souls feel very different in spite of the fact that every class has at least three of them.

    It's not about what you do, it's about how you do it.
    Except playstyles aren't even unique. Everyone is forced to melee since according to Trion, it is 101% necessary for melee to be superior to ranged. Just because the casting animation is slightly different from a warrior and a mage, doesn't mean they are doing anything differently.

    I am very eager for any of the new MMO's to come out. I picked a mage because I love the theme of playing a pyromancer style of gameplay. However pyrochon is about as close to a pyro as you can get in the current environment.

  14. #14
    Ascendant forbiddenlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pett View Post
    I would wait until it gets released before thinking that. I've seen the rumours and the other threads but i doubt they would introduce a pure aoe healing soul.
    Like Warden? Great AOE, bad ST (yes, ST exists, but.)

  15. #15
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Llokii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vexare View Post
    Everyone is forced to melee since according to Trion, it is 101% necessary for melee to be superior to ranged.
    What game have you been playing? Play a melee warrior and let me know if your statement holds true. Melee should hit harder than ranged, but over the span of an encounter the overall dps should (note I didn't say "does", rather "should" in both cases) balance out to due to more frequent melee disconnects.

    As it stands now, warriors are almost forced to go ranged, or at least use Tempest as a sub-soul in almost every build.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts