+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Does anyone feel that allowing every class to be able to take every role is bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Pett View Post
    Doesnt bother me at all.

Particularly since the "Mage/Cleric y u no heal" garbage in warfronts will be a thing of the past.
    ^ this. I can't wait for 3.0 and pvp heal flexibility. I might be able to go dps once every 100 WF without a warrior a complaining. I rolled a cleric alt specifically for pvp healing and I know how other clerics now feel. I can go heals for 99 WF and the moment I switch to dps for a change of pace, all the hate comes out.

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Oh hey...this again.

Im on the fence about it.

Cons

i didnt roll a rogue because i was dying to heal. Once all classes can heal every rl/gl may want me to carry a heal spec just in case amd i could be forced to heal. If my classes heal spec isnt up to par how will that affect raid comps since bringing x class cause they can dps same as me and can also do x.

Pros

I dont yave to worry about zoning into a wf and not having a healer on my team. I never have to worry about canceled raid because we dont have 5 clerics online and cant get a comp to work outside of that. Its something new to learn, always good to have something new. Could poss cut down on certain ppls elitest crap once they can be replaced easier with another class.

Plenty more in each that i could list but as long as every single thing that can go wrong doesnt go wrong i think over the impact could be rather small. Think about it, cleric and mage healers that rolled that class to heal are not suddenly going to want to dps all the time. Ms tanks that rolled vlass x to tank are prob not going to want to jump on the heal train just cause its there. Sure some will maybe even a lot will but odds are the higher %age of the pop will continue to play their class for the spec they rolled it for in the 1st place. That is how i see most people reacting and in that case all it does is give more options to handle content and at the same time not having to take certain ppl just cause you need a specnthat only their class has.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Like Warden? Great AOE, bad ST (yes, ST exists, but.)
    I argue warden is broken.

FYI Warrior healer soul can heal experts.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Llokii View Post
    What game have you been playing? Play a melee warrior and let me know if your statement holds true.
    Sorry, I'm too busy playing a melee mage for every single fight in the entire game to bother with alts.

Prophet of Telara

Provided the souls make the way the roles are played feel different from one another (compare playing Chloro to playing Sentinel, for example, or Paladin vs Riftstalker) then I love the fact that we will finally close off the gaps and I can tank on my Mage. Naturally each will have it's own strengths and weaknesses but I like that. It means that provided they balance well, no one role for a given class is obsolete.

The diversity means I'm less grumpy about having to take on a role I don't enjoy if I can find a calling that plays that particular role in a manner I have more fun with. Looking forward to figuring out Warrior healing (we have enough tanks) and also not letting my guild's Rogue army get away with passing the healing buck to me any more
    I will not delete my characters for an unwated server merge.

Shadowlander

Nope. It won't do a damn thing for healer or tanking shortages in LFG. The new healing role is just a new toy for people who already play healers or would have rolled a healer anyway. The mage tank is just a new toy for tankers who want to try something different. That's all.

I disagree. I would love for every class to be capable of every role.

From what I've seen, every soul is unique in it's own way and I cheer for Trion for providing us with a rich gaming experience. I personally love playing different styles which leads me to become an altoholic, so I'm looking forward to what Trion has in store for us.

Following from point 1, the main reason I'm uncomfortable with many other MMOs and enjoy Rift is because of the flexible soul system where every class can play (almost) every role. The phrase I like to quote is "bring the player, not the class". Usually when forming a group, you'll be looking for specific classes rather than roles since each class (and by extension, character avatar) is confined to their assigned role. This is common in Korean MMOs and it's a nightmare for me and to look to form groups. So the idea is to recruit players who are good at their character and can do all things, rather than to look for the class first then look for good players within that class.

By extension from point 2, the ideal system for me would be like Final Fantasy 5's job system (and by extension 10-2, 11, and 14). A person can use 1 character and use all classes (or whatever it's called) and all equipment. But this is a discussion for another time and place.
    Shinryujin | Tsuyuko | Chieri | Kimiyomi

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Like Warden? Great AOE, bad ST (yes, ST exists, but.)
    Was actually thinking about that. Imagine if the warrior healing soul is the second Warden, I might even feel sorry for them. I usually don't when they cry about being gimped, because pulls and Tempest burst pisses me of.

But Warden is the second most useless PvP soul for clerics. That's fine, because we have 50 other souls to pick from doing WF's. Warriors on the other hand have limits options in PvP. Giving them a defenceless fluff aoe-healer, that no one will use outside of Port Scion and CQ, would be so freaking cruel.

Than rouges get a ST healer with crazy burst and utility, that can face-tank 3+ players. I bet.

But developers can't be that evil, can they?

I do see it as bad simply because it creates as many technical problems, if not more, than it solves.

Problem 1. Trion already has issues balancing dps across all 4 callings, healing just across 2, support and tanking across 3. With all the "why bother with <insert calling here>" we already have you now have increased it even more.

To make matters worse in the end to eliminate these complaints there is only one way to address it really. Look at the Cleric support soul. It has to essentially be a virtual mirror image of the Bard over all in order to avoid "requiring" multiple support souls. At least BM has a VERY different play style from Archon due to it being a melee soul but that was more a factor of the fact a melee soul was undergoing a thorough redux than actual thoughtful planning.

Tbh the main reason I see behind this is $$$. They already said even patrons will have to buy new souls so it's simply a way to get more cash for more souls and roles slots.

As for what it solves with few exceptions they really don't solve anything with this. People who selected rogues (as an example) selected them knowing they could not heal. I doubt strongly you will see hordes of existing rogues knocking down the door to heal, same with mages to tank etc.

So in end you will still have the same LFD queues that you have now, create new battles for balance and thus added more complication to an already chaotic landscape without any addition of real depth to the game as the various souls will end up filling roles that are already filled.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2