+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unsure of which to choose

Soulwalker

Default Unsure of which to choose

So I am stuck unable to decide to dedicate myself to a warrior or a rogue,
    I know for a fact that I want to be melee dps but have the option to be a viable tank and if I want to look at a support role to have one that is useful in most situations. To give a bit of a background as far as my preferred play styles I used to play WoW in which my top used specs/classes were Ret Pally, Feral Druid, Prot Pally, and Feral (guardian if you play now) tank.
    Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

just make both, if you have char slots.

or make a rogue on one shard, make a warrior on a different shard

Well, you're in luck because both warriors and rogues can melee dps, tank AND support! (beastmaster is used far far less than bard though)

They even have the same resource and mechanics system: power and 3 points for warrior and energy and 5 points for rogues. However, warriors have 1.5s GCDs and rogues have 1s GCDs.

Difference in main stats (strength vs dexterity) and armor (plate vs leather) don't mean a thing in this game. Rogue tanks are just as good as warrior tanks. Actually, I think rogues are slightly better than warriors atm due to t2 itemization.

They both have a similar amount of melee dps choices. But they all have varied playstyles, and I'm sorry to say but the only way to get a feel for each choice is to get to level 60 and play them.

I would suggest rogue simply because they are far more flexible than warriors in everything except tanking.
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 12-28-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Rift Disciple

Isn't paragon rogue in plate?

I am hoping that Trion works at moving the differant callings into seperate directions, in 3.0. Right now there is little reason to play Warrior over rogue, or vice versa. And in 3.0 the differances between the callings will be reduced even more, almost to the point of there not being any reason for callings.

Back onto the topic on hand, Rogue and Warrior are essentially the same. Warriors have more options to tank, and Rogues more Ranged options. Both have plenty of acceptable, and viable melee options.

Honestly, there is no reason to play one over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by KaosAssendant View Post
    Honestly, there is no reason to play one over the other.
    classes are unique enough.

it was just that warriors and rogues didnt have a dedicated healing soul, and mages didnt have have a tanking soul (lol, wtf?)

the mage tanking and warrior healing part irks me the most. how can you tank in cloth? how does a warrior heal?

RIFT Guide Writer

Warriors have stronger range options and no positional requirements on their melee as well as their top melee spec being able to go range for 50% of the time.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Go Rogue and be hated...
    “Why should I not hate mine enemies―if I "love" them does that not place me at their mercy?”
    ― Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

Quote Originally Posted by Louiscipher View Post
    Go Rogue and be hated...
    only if you are stealthed

i eat MM/rangers for breakfast, but the damn sin/nb rogues always manage to slip away

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoomgiver View Post
    how can you tank in cloth?
    http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Arcane_Warrior

(well technically, they wear plate...)

but essentially, the same way a rogue tanks in leather. they sure aren't dodge tanks.

how does a warrior heal?
    well, for that you need to discover what "warrior" means in rift. It's not what it means anywhere else
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 01-06-2014 at 01:34 PM.

how does a warrior heal?
    Hmmmmm, what's this Paladin soul I see right there?
    Last edited by Yaarielle; 01-06-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    Yaarissime@Greybriar, lvl 65 cleric (taking a pause from the game)
    Chewgi@Greybriar, lvl 60 warrior
    Greanie@Hailol, lvl 60 rogue
    Youshallnotpass@Hailol, lvl 20 mage

Quote Originally Posted by Yaarielle View Post
    Hmmmmm, what's this Paladin soul I see right there?
    pfft, if you disregard the abilities with >1 min CD, then you can call a justicar a raid healer.

i dunno, a warrior healing? i mean, he has got "war" in his name, ffs.

why are they mashing up the classes like that?

i rolled a warrior so i could get in everyone's face and pound them into next week with my bare fists, and not because i wanted to bandage some random dude's wounds.

Rift Disciple

btw, Paladin sould be a cleric soul... imho...

I really dislike the idea of Warrior Healers, and Mage tanks.../

pfft, if you disregard the abilities with >1 min CD, then you can call a justicar a raid healer.
    All I'm saying is the fact that one of the warrior soul can heal (with Light's Balm and Light's Blessing) proves that ''warrior'' in Rift doesn't mean the same thing as in other games.
    Yaarissime@Greybriar, lvl 65 cleric (taking a pause from the game)
    Chewgi@Greybriar, lvl 60 warrior
    Greanie@Hailol, lvl 60 rogue
    Youshallnotpass@Hailol, lvl 20 mage

Plane Walker

I personally think Rogue is better in every instance than warrior in this game. Its ranged spec does the same damage as tempest and has better utility, its tanking spec tends to have the same or better survivability than any of the warriors, its support spec doesn't get laughed out of dungeons, its pet spec actually has more than one pet, and its stealth specs melee dps is on par with even the best of warrior melee dps specs but with stealth. You also don't have to buy the storm legion soul just to have any viable ranged options.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaarielle View Post
    All I'm saying is the fact that one of the warrior soul can heal (with Light's Balm and Light's Blessing) proves that ''warrior'' in Rift doesn't mean the same thing as in other games.
    oh come on, man. that puny 1k heal?!?!? my druid faerie healer does more hps, and affects 5 ppl.

does that make it a raid healer? NO.

who cares what other games do. next you will have rogues who wield shields and dual weilding clerics, and later on we'll just have a single class and we pick and choose any skills we want, just because "rift is different".

be different as in "pleasant surprise different", dont be "down's syndrome different".

+ Reply to Thread