+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Class Swap??

Default Class Swap??

I've read a couple things about being able to have your character swap between 2 different classes... How confirmed is this? I would absolutely hate this if it is true..

In the original game design (which changed dramaticaly and is no longer true) you could change your character's class. However, every 'class archtype' (a concept scrapped-don't worry about that) would have its respective level, so if you leveled your char as warrior to level 33, switching your class to mage would take you back to 1. If you'd then level the mage to level 10, changing back to a warrior class would still be level 33, and the mage would still be level 10. It's basicly a system to make alts redundant. Which is scrapped.
    Classes now work using the soul-shard (or something like that) system, in which you choose your class and then gain differing skills through monsters or something like that. Very little information is known about it so far.
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

Okay, that's good to hear. Skill customization, multi-classing, dual-classing, anything of the sort is cool to me. The more customization the player has, the better. Being able to just change to a completely different character whenever you want is just stupid imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Avram View Post
    Okay, that's good to hear. Skill customization, multi-classing, dual-classing, anything of the sort is cool to me. The more customization the player has, the better. Being able to just change to a completely different character whenever you want is just stupid imo.
    I obviously have to reserve judgement on the new system until we get some concrete details on it, but being able to change to a completely different skillset has been done in other MMOs and it works well.

No-one's forced to play a class they don't want to, but the flexibility to switch between classes to suit your team's needs or what you feel like doing right now is nice.

It's one of the reason's my guild also has their eye on Earthrise. If Rift's class system doesn't turn out to be similarly flexible it may be difficult to maintain their interest in the game.

Soul-Shards? Like an Aion Stigma rip-off?
    Nrrk...

wasn't this one of the things cancelled with HoT going RIP and RIFT beeing born?

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    wasn't this one of the things cancelled with HoT going RIP and RIFT beeing born?

Regards,
    Kalbuir
    Yes, as Skythe said in the very first response.

Glad to hear it's gone. I don't think the altaholics would have been pleased with that system.
    Also, the new system sounds to me more of like a traditional class system. However you can choose from many different abilities to customize your class. For example, instead of every Mage getting Blink at 20, you can choose between Blink and Ice Block. 2 spells that are different but still have the same theory behind it, to stay alive.
    Last edited by Hanlo; 05-06-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    Yes, as Skythe said in the very first response.
    hmm great now I am confused, I thought the soul idea is just a replacement for the card idea they had?

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    hmm great now I am confused, I thought the soul idea is just a replacement for the card idea they had?

Regards,
    Kalbuir
    The cards allowed multi-classing, which is out. You had your core class - a cleric - and could subclass him into a Paladin or a Priest or an Inquisitor or a Druid or whatever and switch back and forth (I made up those classes for the sake of this example.) Now there is some sort of monster soul stealing system which still let's you customize your class, it's just not the same method.

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    The cards allowed multi-classing, which is out. You had your core class - a cleric - and could subclass him into a Paladin or a Priest or an Inquisitor or a Druid or whatever and switch back and forth (I made up those classes for the sake of this example.) Now there is some sort of monster soul stealing system which still let's you customize your class, it's just not the same method.
    Hmm that explains it I totally had a different idea on what the card system was, for some reason I thought there was a jester card for example that would be a addition to your core class which you wouldn't have to swap to, to use. But its been so long and I wasn't entirely up to date on HoT.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    Glad to hear it's gone. I don't think the altaholics would have been pleased with that system.
    Me and a bunch of other hopeless altaholics would have been

Quote Originally Posted by Eldran View Post
    Me and a bunch of other hopeless altaholics would have been
    Deep down inside, you know you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    Deep down inside, you know you like it.
    Well I don't know if I like the new system yet. I'd need to, you know, know what it is first.

I meant altoholism, but that works too I guess.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast