+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranged souls: A... perhaps controversial idea.

Ascendant

Default Ranged souls: A... perhaps controversial idea.

Been a lot of comment lately, especially regarding spellcasters, on whether or not the movement of making all ranged souls fully mobile has been at the cost of their identities. As well as the necessity of this mobility when they will be lower damage than their melee counterparts anyway.

So this is my idea (and I'm fully expecting to get stuff thrown at me here!): Sub-divide the various ranged souls into two different kinds: "Light" and "Heavy", or, perhaps more specifcally, "Turret" and "Skirmisher".

Light - Would be the kind of spammy, highly mobile, instant casting playstyle, like that of the Marksman. Stationary they would be lower damage than "heavy" ranged souls but they would have no penalties for movement; very little reason to ever not be running, really.

Heavy - Obviously, the opposite to lights. This is your hard casting, stationary turret playstyle. Damage potential would be notably higher than that of the lights, in fact pretty comparable to that of melee souls. The drawback being that they're penalised significantly for movement as a result of reacting to mechanics or a more fluid engagement in PvP.

I'm not going to suggest which souls should belong to each category. Because I'm fairly sure that particular debate could rage on forever...
    Last edited by Kedon; 12-08-2013 at 11:46 AM.

As a caster I would love to be more mobile with some of my skills.
    Light-Heavy has been implemented in some other games.
    Light casting spells can be cast while moving, while hard-hitting spells require you to be stationary. It's not a bad idea, we'll see what Trion has in store for us in 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Kedon View Post
    Been a lot of comment lately, especially regarding spellcasters, on whether or not the movement of making all ranged souls fully mobile has been at the cost of their identities. As well as the necessity of this mobility when they will be lower damage than their melee counterparts anyway.

So this is my idea (and I'm fully expecting to get stuff thrown at me here!): Sub-divide the various ranged souls into two different kinds: "Light" and "Heavy", or, perhaps more specifcally, "Turret" and "Skirmisher".

Light - Would be the kind of spammy, highly mobile, instant casting playstyle, like that of the Marksman. Stationary they would be lower damage than "heavy" ranged souls but they would have no penalties for movement; very little reason to ever not be running, really.

Heavy - Obviously, the opposite to lights. This is your hard casting, stationary turret playstyle. Damage potential would be notably higher than that of the lights, in fact pretty comparable to that of melee souls. The drawback being that they're penalised significantly for movement as a result of reacting to mechanics or a more fluid engagement in PvP.

I'm not going to suggest which souls should belong to each category. Because I'm fairly sure that particular debate could rage on forever...
    It's a valid way of balancing things. However there are other things to take into account like general utility, which is why Marksman does lower DPS than Ranger despite being (slightly) less mobile; and AoE ability, which is why Necromancer does less than Pyro.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 12-09-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Go warrior and just one shot ppl in pvp.
    “Why should I not hate mine enemies―if I "love" them does that not place me at their mercy?”
    ― Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    It's a valid way of balancing things. However there are other things to take into account like general utility, which is why Marksman does lower DPS than Ranger despite being (slightly) less mobile; and AoE ability, which is why Necromancer does less than Pyro.
    True. Though, the idea was things like that would be of smaller impact than the suggested 'Light-Heavy' split between ranged DPS souls.

For the most part this was a suggestion of the general balancing approach should the full 'turret spellcaster/sniper' style be returned to certain souls and to make it as distinctive as possible from the more typical style of ranged that's now risen up in Rift.
    Last edited by Kedon; 12-10-2013 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renounced View Post
    we'll see what Trion has in store for us in 3.0
    Looking at post burning fury nerf patches, i'd have to say - nothing good. mage will still be at the bottom of the food chain.

+ Reply to Thread