+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ilex011

Thread: Instead of just adding new souls, maybe a new Calling?

Default Instead of just adding new souls, maybe a new Calling?

I'm noticing the different callings can take on almost any role (like the Cleric can be healer, tank, or damage), and still the Callings are limited to what type of armor they can wear.. How about introducing a new Calling that can use any type of armor the character can get ahold of, depending on the Souls chosen?

New souls are effectively a new class. Different souls play completely different (especially cleric souls). Also, no. That's a horrible idea, that calling would do only 1 thing: inspire people to need on EVERYTHING, causing griefing for no reason at all.

Besides, it doesn't matter which type of items you wear in rift since you can just make a wardrobe of different types of armor if you prefer looking different than your callings items.

Also the callings are based on arch types. I challenge you to come up with something that wouldn't fall under one of the four already existing archtypes.
    Last edited by Sacria; 11-29-2013 at 06:11 PM.

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Well the souls are already in creation...so they are gonna happen.

And as for making a new class? Not likely any time soon with the ridiculous balancing that would have to happen, let alone there isn't really any more niches for a class/soul balance anymore combined with the fact that mixing different souls from different classes would be well...impossible.

good god I cannot ever see this suggestion being workable, no offense. we have pretty much all the soul and calling combinations covered.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Warrior, cleric, rogue and mage are pretty much the 4 archetypes that rpg is based on

The only way I can see Trion working in a new class is to produce some kind of Monk class that focuses on no-weapon fighting with armor between cloth and leather. That seems like a mechanic that can still be wormed in. But I have the feeling Trion specifically created Paragon to fit the traditional Monk playstyle of combos without dealing with no-weapon balance.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Wow... After reading the responses, I thought I got lost in the World of Warcraft forums on my way here, given the anger each one contained.. Sorry I even suggested anything..

My thought process behind a new Calling was that someone who doesn't have 2 plat to rub together would benefit being able to use any sort of equipment they're lucky to get their hands on.

Oh, and to whoever mentioned that people would Need Roll on everything, here's a news flash.. That's ALWAYS going to happen regardless.

They're not being hostile, you doughnut.

They're just tellin' it like it is.
    stormhak stormbar stormkvinde kagestorm stormelver

Quote Originally Posted by Geno2733 View Post
    Oh, and to whoever mentioned that people would Need Roll on everything, here's a news flash.. That's ALWAYS going to happen regardless.

Not to the extent that your proposal would cause. Current looting rules allow less needing than your idea. And, using your idea, they would need to rework the current stat system and classes.

Let's say warrior kills a mob and the mob drops an epic quality cloth helm with +int/+wis. The warrior is wearing a rare quality plate helm with +str/+dex. The cloth helm has less armor, less endurance and no str or dex. How can a warrior equip the cloth helm and expect an stat and, therefore, performance increase using an item that does not contribute to a warriors primary and secondary stats? This is why your proposal simply can not work without completely reworking the stat system and classes.

Not sure what would worry me the most... Leveling another toon to 60 or having to build 1-4 armor sets plus tank stuff if i wanted to be able to play that class at a top tier level.

I want professional hater to be a class that or Troll.

Rift Disciple

Honestly, with the amount of overlap Mechanically between Warrior and Rogue, you could almost cut one calling out of the equation.

+ Reply to Thread