+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Can't Wait

Default Can't Wait

For 3.0 i heard that rogue healing style is simular to sentinel healing. Warrior healing is Aoe and its really good. clerics finally get a support soul and MAGES!!!!! can tank. i know alot of us are excited, and i wonder when 3.0 is going to drop? maybe feb next year? i hope earlier.
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

Gtz

Default Can wait.

Horrible idea in my opinion. The classes are already blended together as they are. They are just mixing them all together it seems. Whats the point of even having other classes when each one can do every role possible. I guess I'm just old school. Like back in the day when you had to make sure you had someone with you that could rez. Not much skill or planning is needed anymore in MMOs. I guess they are just adapting to the low IQ and laziness of the current generation.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Gtz View Post
    Horrible idea in my opinion. The classes are already blended together as they are. They are just mixing them all together it seems. Whats the point of even having other classes when each one can do every role possible. I guess I'm just old school. Like back in the day when you had to make sure you had someone with you that could rez. Not much skill or planning is needed anymore in MMOs. I guess they are just adapting to the low IQ and laziness of the current generation.
    I know were your coming from. but as someone who plays cleric who can already do all the jobs im glad this ability will be shared with the rest of the callings.. just so I don't have to heal all the flippin time in wf's lol.

but yeah in this game, class's are more about method then actual roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtz View Post
    That's what the game has been since launch... they are just adding three more souls to complete the view that's always been the strength of Rift: give players the freedom to change role and playstyle whenever they want with just few clicks.

I don't get how that could involve IQ or laziness issues...
    Last edited by Maul STK; 12-02-2013 at 03:51 AM.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=806168&dateline=13715  70211

Quote Originally Posted by Maul STK View Post
    That's what the game has been since launch... they are just adding three more souls to complete the view that's always been the strength of Rift: give players the freedom to change role and playstyle whenever they want with just few clicks.

I don't get how that could involve IQ or laziness issues...
    Would not call a massive spree of imbalances and destroying class roles a strength. I foresee two things right now. First, the classes having all roles will create serious balancing issues. Second, it may make combat bland and boring since everyone will pretty much be the same. Kinda like warriors, who rolled warrior to pick up big weapons and smash the sh** out of stuff, ended up casting bolts of lightning. They should have kept warriors melee just made the melee aspect and how it is done different, not add a ranged soul and soon to be healing soul.

Quote Originally Posted by HannonHellbringer View Post
    Would not call a massive spree of imbalances and destroying class roles a strength. I foresee two things right now. First, the classes having all roles will create serious balancing issues. Second, it may make combat bland and boring since everyone will pretty much be the same. Kinda like warriors, who rolled warrior to pick up big weapons and smash the sh** out of stuff, ended up casting bolts of lightning. They should have kept warriors melee just made the melee aspect and how it is done different, not add a ranged soul and soon to be healing soul.
    Imbalances are something that's always been in complex MMOs like Rift, and i'm afraid they'll always exist.

Regarding what you call "destroying class roles" i think that's just a smart idea, since class roles are not carved in some mythical stone... they are just arbitrary schemes, something that can be changed by anyone's creativity (hell, even Gandalf wielded a 2H sword and chopped stuff in melee combat!).

That being said, if you like to play as a classical sword&board warrior you can do that... no one is forcing you to change if you don't want to.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=806168&dateline=13715  70211

Having played the new souls I can tell you they are not going to be at all the same as what we currently have. That argument is like saying Rogue is the same as Cleric because they both have a tanking soul.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 12-02-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Rift Disciple

I think trion should focus on stepping away from the MMO grab bag of stereo types, and in more ways then just all classes can do everything... on all levels.

All classes can do everything, next, anybody can wield anything, wear anything. Why not. Like was pointed out, Gandolf had a 2h, it should be about style of play. As far as the wield anything, trion please please give us that option. Conan was technically a rogue :P Why can't rogues have a shiled?

People keep talking about moving away from the stereo types, opening up more options to play what you want, and I'm really yet to see them. I want a plate wearing (and I'm not talking just wardrobe) Claymore wielding mage tank... can I have it yet? *(Well, after 3.0)

Shadowlander

The way I see it, and maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way; but I see every class performing every role a good thing because it allows the player to just pick the basic game play style the prefer and choose their role from there. Like, if you enjoy have a 3 point combo system, play warrior - you like 5 point combo systems - go rogue. Enjoy managing energy - go mage. Do you like not having to deal with any of that? Well, go cleric.

I know each soul will play differently, but the way they manage their resource will be the way to separate them, so just use the resource system you enjoy the most.
    Last edited by Krainor; 12-11-2013 at 08:14 AM.

I really don't see this ending very well. Imagine the work load of trying to balance healing, tanking, support, melee dps and ranged dps but in every class and in most cases multiple times in each class.

Kinda like how warriors have three tank souls but equal the one tank soul in every other class. I don't think I want to be here for the enormous rebalancing of the game which will most likely drive even more people off.

Another example, warrior melee and how it suffered. How long before they could square it away after tempest came out. Trion believed melee was a non issue because warriors had tempest, thus warriors were no longer forced into melee. Warriors were pigeonholed into Tempest for a good long time or had to run tempest in their spec for range. This only became an issue because tempest was added and I never remember ever NEEDING a ranged spec pre SL for raids or pvp.

If one soul is even a little bit stronger than the others it's gonna be the preferred one. Still one of my biggest annoyances is chloro is stronger in dps than other healing souls and has access to wild growth. Its stuff like this that creates imbalance. Why trion gave a support ability to a healer in the first place is beyond me.

Thanks for the journey RIFT - It's been fun

Quote Originally Posted by Liadva View Post
    If one soul is even a little bit stronger than the others it's gonna be the preferred one. Still one of my biggest annoyances is chloro is stronger in dps than other healing souls and has access to wild growth. Its stuff like this that creates imbalance. Why trion gave a support ability to a healer in the first place is beyond me.
    If chloro didn't have these, it wouldn't be used at all. (assuming you have enough clerics)
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 12-12-2013 at 09:59 AM.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    If chloro didn't have these, it wouldn't be used at all. (assuming you have enough clerics)
    I would still use a chloro if it didn't have wild growth just because its dps would still be far superior than cleric healers

Thanks for the journey RIFT - It's been fun

Quote Originally Posted by Liadva View Post
    I would still use a chloro if it didn't have wild growth just because its dps would still be far superior than cleric healers
    That's exactly the point; Chloro's benefits currently are 1. DPS, 2. Flexibility without changing roles, 3. Wild Growth, and 4. Living Energy (which can be covered by bard in certain cases). Take two of those away and there's much less reason to use chloros at all (though you still would, if your chloros are better healers than your clerics or you have more of them).

Cleric's benefits: 1. can choose a spec perfectly suited for any healing role in any encounter in the game, 2. don't have the veil cross-healing restriction, 3. don't have the synth-swapping restriction, 4. access to shielding and mitigation.

Warrior and rogue heals can be balanced into this system, but like when they added beastmaster, it will probably have to be in the format of "either Warden or Liberator can do this job, choose the better player". Otherwise you start running out of niches. And of course one or the other will be better at specific encounters. But the ideal outcome is that one of them will not be better at -every- encounter.

Ascendant

I really don't see this ending very well. Imagine the work load of trying to balance healing, tanking, support, melee dps and ranged dps but in every class and in most cases multiple times in each class.

Kinda like how warriors have three tank souls but equal the one tank soul in every other class. I don't think I want to be here for the enormous rebalancing of the game which will most likely drive even more people off.

Another example, warrior melee and how it suffered. How long before they could square it away after tempest came out. Trion believed melee was a non issue because warriors had tempest, thus warriors were no longer forced into melee. Warriors were pigeonholed into Tempest for a good long time or had to run tempest in their spec for range. This only became an issue because tempest was added and I never remember ever NEEDING a ranged spec pre SL for raids or pvp.
    switch warrior with mage and melee with ranged and I could say exactly the same thing about mages and harbinger, except dps mages are still pigeon holed into harbinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast