+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Class for PvE, duo with gf :)

Soulwalker

Default Class for PvE, duo with gf :)

Hello!
    We're about to start playing RIFT, just to try it out on f2p mode.
    My gf likes to play healing/buffing classes, so my guess is cleric or healing mage.
    She doesn't really like complexity in her characters, so which build will be more easy-mode?
    And as it goes for me I'm used to fulfill tank role, but as we want to focus on PvE, leveling etc. I guess it might be better to create both chars more dps-oriented?
    Since we won't be always playing duo, solo-able classes are welcome.
    btw: I like spamming more than waiting 10s to cast a spell
    From what I see on forums for dps/survival we can both roll clerics but in different builds?
    Or maybe both chars with pets? Like necro and some healer with pet?

Any suggestions?

I reckon a Rogue + Mage duo would be pretty flexible for you both. You could tank on the rogue, she could heal, both DPS using pet souls, or mix it up with one person using the pet while the other goes pet-less DPS or support.

When you get to max level the only thing you won't be able to do as a Rogue is heal, and she won't be able to tank, until 3.0 anyway, so you'll have a nice slew of choices imo.

Just my 2 cents, as they say.

EDIT: Should probably say, Bard healing would probably be fine for most leveling anyway really.
    Last edited by DimensionHatross; 11-24-2013 at 07:56 PM.

I would recommend a rogue for you and a cleric for her.

Rogues have a shorter global cooldown than other classes (1 second compared to the "normal" of 1.5 seconds). They also have a durable, extremely mobile tanking spec called Riftstalker that focuses on teleports.

I'd recommend cleric over mage for your girlfriend, because mage specs tend to be somewhat more complex than cleric ones.

Side note: for questing, you really don't need a healer at all. They're only necessary for dungeons, raids, and PvP.
    Last edited by Muspel; 11-24-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Aye, Rogue/Mage does sound rather like what you might be looking for. Rogue has very few skills that aren't instant or channeled, and you can freely move around while doing so. Mage has strong healing and support options, while the Cleric won't really be a strong buffer until 3.0. The complexity with Mage healing and support mostly comes from reacting to or proactively setting up for situations rather than some sort of rotation that needs to be strictly followed for best results, and have handy macros to make the sometimes large spell list manageable. Alternatively, you may like Warrior. It has a lot of options for tanking if you'd like to focus on that, and has one skill I can think of that has a cast time.

On the subject of soloing, Warriors are strong at taking down groups; I believe their Warlord/Champion soloing guide says something to the effect of "if you die, you didn't pull enough". Cleric is a strong option, and along with mage has some of the best soloing ability in the game with the proper build. It has more varied DPS styles than Warrior, but only has one tank soul (same as Rogue). I honestly can't tell you how well a rogue solos because I never had the occasion to yet, but I hear they're good at tearing down individual higher level enemies. This was without the cash shop souls; with them, Mages can rip through groups or single opponents with equal ease, and Rogues get some rather impressive AoE slaughter goodies at least at low level.
    If you're too old to play with Legos, you still have some growing up to do.

Soulwalker

Well, I just got lvl 10 on my Druidicar... Seems fun now, cuz I start at range and then proceed to melee and pet helps a bit.
    But I guess at these levels every class goes smooth?
    I made rougue to lvl 6 or something and I liked channel skill from bard tree, but druid at same lvl seems more powerful :P
    Anyway I barely know this game... But it's not a prob if we both roll clerics? one druidicar and one something-else? :P

First, Druid should feel more powerful than Bard simply because Druids specialize in dealing damage, whereas Bards specialize in increasing the damage others deal. And, in my heavily biased opinion, hitting things with hammers just feels more powerful in general. Loves me some mace-to-face action.

If you both roll clerics, the only problems that will come up deal with loot. If you two like to take it slow, then quest rewards and crafted gear (specifically Armorsmithing and Artificing) will keep things groovy. Drops on the other hand, you'll likely both want the same gear for almost the entire leveling process even if one of you becomes a full-time tank since tank stats don't show up until about 50.
    If you're too old to play with Legos, you still have some growing up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I'd recommend cleric over mage for your girlfriend, because mage specs tend to be somewhat more complex than cleric ones.
    ^ this.

I duo with my girlfriend. Not knowing too much about the game when we first started, I had her role as a mage and myself as a rogue. It works great but if I had to do it again, I'd roll her as a cleric. As stated, the cleric rotations are much more simple compared to the various mage souls. Plus, the sentinel heals are great for single targets whereas the chloro shines in group settings.

As she leveled, she learned chloromancer well but had difficulty learning the other roles so stuck with a 61 chloro for awhile but eventually learned a harb/chloro hybrid.

One drawback to you both rolling clerics would be sharing the same type of gear, so if you were to do dungeon drops, you'd be rolling against each other on occasion.

Telaran

For your gf I would definitely say for her to go cleric druid, she gets heal pet and the spec is super easy mode. For you definitely rogue, the rogue tank requires more skill than the other tanks but u get to spam abilities and teleport around. But do not roll the same class, like they said you will run into gear issues and have to decide who gets the gear, as to where rogue and cleric gear are not interchangeable at all, cleric/mage gear are and so are warrior/rogue.

+ Reply to Thread