Closed Thread

Thread: Warlock

Default Warlock

Tried a Warlock pvp build with most points in warlock but when i started playing a saw somthing very bad .

All bread and butter warlock skills was with huge cooldowns 1 minute and 2 minutes .

This is screwing the playstyle of this interesting soul .

Trion Trion , please remove these mega big cooldowns .

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Spitefull View Post
    Tried a Warlock pvp build with most points in warlock but when i started playing a saw somthing very bad .

All bread and butter warlock skills was with huge cooldowns 1 minute and 2 minutes .

This is screwing the playstyle of this interesting soul .

Trion Trion , please remove these mega big cooldowns .
    Welcome to the mage class, your options are pyromance/elementalist and stormcaller/elementalist, apparently warlock is a side dish soul, as are most all of the mages souls.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchyblack View Post
    Welcome to the mage class, your options are pyromance/elementalist and stormcaller/elementalist, apparently warlock is a side dish soul, as are most all of the mages souls.
    Don't forget Necro/warlock, the third option for mages. Chloro mages are also ok, so I think right now there are four decent soloing mage options. Still way too few, however.

Note that three of the builds above have pets, and one has healing - this is because mage damage is rather meh, so mitigation is required to not suck.
    Last edited by maxlongstreet; 01-28-2011 at 08:49 AM.

Rift Chaser

I have fun with my warlock. Between 14 and 19, he was a beast.
    I have most of my points in warlock, some points in necro to increase death damage and the length/damage of Necrosis. I slot archon with 0 points just for searing vitality.
    Drop life drain, dark void, necrosis, searing vitality, Hand of nedara (the warlock one that does damage whenever they use an ability), then go to town with void bolts. I'll admit its a bit ****tier (Especially against healers) now that I'm in the 20-29 bracket, but I had assumed that was because I was 4-6 levels lower than everyone else.
    It seems to me that warlock needs something that makes their dots harder to dispel, or something that actively discourages casters from dispelling them (ala unstable affliction), though I dont know their higher level talents well enough to say that doesnt already exist.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by maxlongstreet View Post
    Don't forget Necro/warlock, the third option for mages. Chloro mages are also ok, so I think right now there are four decent soloing mage options. Still way too few, however.

Note that three of the builds above have pets, and one has healing - this is because mage damage is rather meh, so mitigation is required to not suck.
    There are plenty of options for mages, i have literally tried them all. The problem isnt apparent for casual solo questers and rift grouping. The problem with mages come out when you need to be top DPS, when you need to CC, or really do any group activity where mages are suppose to shine. They dont. The pyro and stormcaller souls are needed if you want to compete with warriors and clerics for damage output. The CC's a warlock/dom would be utilizing to control the battle, are easily broken by thier own aoe dots. Top that with the fact that all mage DOT's are curiously weak, and not viable for any pvp situation. What you get is either a good pet managment class for casual solo questing, or an average DPS producing mage with none of the survivabilty that equally good DPS builds in the warrior and cleric classes.

To sum it up, if you want ranged damage go ranger, they do it better and can do it mobile, which is a huge advantage in any pvp scenario.

After much time with a pyro/ele/chloro ive decided to resoul, probably going stormcaller (not as boring as pyro) elementalist (still need a pet to tank for us since we cant kill fast enough) and mabey warlock (for its side dish abilities that have crazy long cooldowns and thus not viable for you DPS soul)

The problem isnt creative builds being avaliable, its those build being viable in a group, space is limited in a group or raid, and other classes do it better and wont have to have the healer constatly rezzing them since they have survivability.

I found the most useful part of my pyro/ele/chloro was the chloro heal on damage skill, which is sad for a character build meant to be a top DD, mages use in a group should be their top DD (along side melee rogues which is also not viable) and sold CC that is functional.
    Last edited by Crunchyblack; 01-28-2011 at 09:19 AM.

This is disheartening to hear, as I intend to main Warlock come release. Have you tried DoTing then evading till they die?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PhishXIII View Post
    This is disheartening to hear, as I intend to main Warlock come release. Have you tried DoTing then evading till they die?
    Well a warrior can easily bull charge you, root you, and kill you. Rangers are faster than you and can shoot while on the run. Its possible to DOT then evade, if you can constantly re apply the DOT and they dont get healed, and like i said, if the warriors and rangers ignore you.

My champ/warlord/void did nothing but bullrush hop from caster to caster taking them down with ease, so no i dont really see that as a go to strategy, may work out in some cases, but the DOT's dont do enough damage.

Telaran

I totally agree with the OP. There is no acceptable reason as to why every single warlock skill that provides him with healing and survivability needs to have a cooldown of over 30 seconds (Obviously excluding shadow life).

Why does Trion hate mages?

this is disappointing to hear as a Warlock / Necro build is my favorite type of build
    Last edited by Wilson212; 01-28-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    I-7 950 "Bloomfield" @ 3.8GHz | ASUS Rampage III Formula
    EVGA nVidia 570 GTX SuperClocked | Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB
    Seasonic 750w PSU | Noctua D14 120mm & 140mm CPU Cooling Fans
    ASUS 23" 1080p LCD Widescreen | Logitech G9x Gaming Mouse

After trying some mage builds it is obvious for me that mage soul is not a good choice to play it seem Trion really hate mages .
    Last edited by Spitefull; 01-28-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obregon View Post
    I totally agree with the OP. There is no acceptable reason as to why every single warlock skill that provides him with healing and survivability needs to have a cooldown of over 30 seconds (Obviously excluding shadow life).
    Mages are clothies and they need some nice skills like shadow life just for survivability and as it is now shadow life is with a 3 minutes cooldown .

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Spitefull View Post
    Mages are clothies and they need some nice skills like shadow life just for survivability and as it is now shadow life is with a 3 minutes cooldown .
    Its not like any of the mage souls are going to actually kill you though damage, so why not give them a fighting chance?

Closed Thread