Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: CONTEST: Build a Better Preset - NOW JUDGING!

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default CONTEST: Build a Better Preset - NOW JUDGING!

Build a Better Preset

You've been asking for it, so who are we to deny you?

We've heard from you guys-- our most dedicated users-- that the in-game presets are in need of an update. While they serve as a good starting point, we know there's better builds out there, and that's where you come in.

We want your builds in the game.

Further details will be revealed in the coming weeks, but get them ready! Winners will get their builds added as presets, credited to their character name (assuming the name is reasonable and appropriate!) -- as well as some other prizes that we're still working out.

As soon as those details solidify, I'll let you guys know!

~ Morgana
    Last edited by CM Morgana; 12-11-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    CM Morgana ~ Community Coordinator ~
    Avatar art is courtesy of Allie Brosh!

Champion

Build all the presets!
    Buff Harb! Nerf Ranger!

Live
    Level 70 Mage Trollhydra (Main)
    Level 60 Rogue Siehydra (Used to be main D=)

Ascendant

you really want the oneshotting tempest/paragon build as default build? ;)

Wow great idea!! Can peeps submit more than one entry? I think the more ideas you guys have the better!
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    you really want the oneshotting tempest/paragon build as default build? ;)
    Assuming anyone could agree on it. There's 30+ pages of argument over the allocation of 1-4 points and a good baker's dozen of different rotations/macros. The true madness of that spec is the bickering.

I cast my vote for Warrior tank presets based off Roughraptors' guides and Primal's Reaver leveling guide. Maybe even include macros with the presets to help people get used to the macro system -- learning how macros work always seems to be the next most intimidating thing and biggest hurdle to getting people to play more effectively.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by CM Morgana View Post
    Winners will get their builds added as presets, credited to their character name (assuming the name is reasonable and appropriate!) -- as well as some other prizes that we're still working out.
    I'm not sure if this is a good idea. People share their builds all the time, and others learn them. This leads to many people being able to post a good build that someone else had come up with, without anything being attributed to the original creator (if they even know who's the original creator). I don't think any rewards need to be involved to motivate people since they are already sharing their findings with the community for no rewards. On the other hand, the rewards might convince people to be more secretive in their builds and create an environment where everyone fights to claim the title of being the "founder" of a build.

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neverwhere2012 View Post
    I cast my vote for Warrior tank presets based off Roughraptors' guides and Primal's Reaver leveling guide. Maybe even include macros with the presets to help people get used to the macro system -- learning how macros work always seems to be the next most intimidating thing and biggest hurdle to getting people to play more effectively.
    I've already PMed Morgana about it. There's some very large issues I see that worry me, even if they were to use a preset based on one of my builds, it wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyd View Post
    I'm not sure if this is a good idea. People share their builds all the time, and others learn them. This leads to many people being able to post a good build that someone else had come up with, without anything being attributed to the original creator (if they even know who's the original creator). I don't think any rewards need to be involved to motivate people since they are already sharing their findings with the community for no rewards. On the other hand, the rewards might convince people to be more secretive in their builds and create an environment where everyone fights to claim the title of being the "founder" of a build.
    In terms of "fighting" to be listed, in most cases it is very obvious. For example with my case, I've had my builds up for over a year now, Primal always backs my math up so we could like...get a double listing? :-P
    Last edited by RoughRaptorsOld; 11-14-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Agreed with this. All of the raid builds are well known, most of the best soloing builds are, and PvP builds change every day.

I mean I could just make a list of the relevant guides and it would be 80% of what's needed, the other 20% being builds unrelated to raiding or soloing.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 11-14-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Plane Touched

This is actually a good point and I think with the number of well established guides on and linked from these forums, it's going to take some extra scrutiny and care to make sure people submitting builds aren't outright ripping off respected guide writers.

I think if it's going to be done right, overhauling the preset system shouldn't just be a matter of new builds with different point spreads. I mentioned this earlier but I'm going to expand on it. Submitted builds should include macros, rotations, tips for playing. Make each preset an in-game published guide that looks professional and has all the info someone needs to know how to play. Not to diminish Roughraptors (I warrior tank, he's my go to example) but 61VK/15Reaver/0Tempest isn't necessarily unique or difficult to think up in and of itself. A hundred people could come up with that point spread easily, but with no explanation of the skills, rotation, cooldowns, etc. they would be as ineffective as possible. The explanation and tips are the types of things that make Roughraptors guide good compared to just having a build.

To that end, there should probably be clearly defined leveling presets -- or a build that's submitted with point allocation every 5-10 levels from 1-60, vs. endgame presets. 61VK isn't going to be awesome to level as a tank, but it's great at 60. WL/Champ hybrids are great for leveling in, but more options for solo specs open up at 60.

My 2 cents, no idea how in depth Trion is going with this, but it seems like there's a lot of opportunities in the preset system to make things less intimidating to new players. Very interested in seeing where this ends up going, and I really do think the idea of tapping the community to design preset builds is awesome. Just take it to that next level.

inc 61 nyancat build =^.^=

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Wow who has been asking for this?
    People spend countless hours on specs, making guides and such things for this to encourage copy pasting and bad specs. This is not a very good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Wow who has been asking for this?
    People spend countless hours on specs, making guides and such things for this to encourage copy pasting and bad specs. This is not a very good idea.
    if it is encouraging ppl to rly invent good new specs for lvling purpose that maybe have a novel touc im a fine with it, but well have to wait for further details on this
    Quite@Typhiria
    -GreatWhiteNinja- he was right after all -
    61 Dominator Guide
    Nightmare rifts - An indepth guide to reach stage 300

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Nynja View Post
    if it is encouraging ppl to rly invent good new specs for lvling purpose that maybe have a novel touc im a fine with it, but well have to wait for further details on this
    I can just see it OMG that's my spec I've been using it for OMG yeaaars
    I'm just unsure why we have people testing these specs etc to not be consulted for such a thing.
    Perhaps I am being naive though

no you arent but maybe i am naive that i think you can trace back every spec that was invented in the last 3 years in the internet
    Quite@Typhiria
    -GreatWhiteNinja- he was right after all -
    61 Dominator Guide
    Nightmare rifts - An indepth guide to reach stage 300

Ascendant

This is a shockingly bad idea. Shockingly.

Don't be lazy just go through the forum guild section, pull the best ones (its pretty obvous) and give them your own name. Don't name them after anyone, don't offer any rewards. I appreciate the idea behind but holy crap is it a bad idea. This community is fractured enough, this will just make it more so.

I fully support making the preset builds better, that is needed but offering rewards and guide submissions is a bad idea. It should have been done when the system FIRST LAUNCHED. Not a year later when everyone uses a build that is likely derived from someone else.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast