+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Choosing a Calling?

Soulwalker

Default Choosing a Calling?

hey, im new to Rift, I was curious on many things.

Im mostly looking at being a DPS, I would prefer to have the option between being ranged and melee so i can experince both sides on the game depending on what im doing.

I've read alot on forums etc etc seeing if any questions are already answered, where i found that all Callings are viable in their own way at soloing/DPS and other roles they have within their calling.

I was thinking about a Cleric or a Mage overall,

I overall enjoy to play DPSers which are a challange to play and learn properly, which soul oveall has more challanging souls / or a higher learning curve to them?

(I know its based on strengths/weaknesses which build a opinon on which is hardest, just wondered what peoples opinons were)

Which Callings offers the most Souls which are a challange to learn and play properly? And what is the hardest soul to overall play? (I know thats strongly opinonated on what the persons strengths and weaknesses are i was just wondering overall on what peoples opinons were on this topic).

In a case of the most complicated dps to play, pyromancer would probably win

One thing you might want to consider is the variety of dps builds each calling has:

Cleric only has 2 viable dps builds: inquisitor and shaman. That's 1 ranged and 1 melee. Overall, they have 4 dps souls.

Mage has 2-4 viable dps builds depending on who you ask: harbinger, pyromancer, necromancer and pyrochon. That's 3 ranged and 1 melee. Overall, they have 6 dps souls.

(rogues have a wider variety of dps callings both melee and ranged. warriors have less, but has 1 ranged and at least 2 melee, and the all-powerful tempagon right now)

You should also consider that doing dps alone is a major detriment to your personal progression. In the cases of healing and support, mage acts most like a dps and does not require a separate set of gear. tanks are more or less equivalent to each other.
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 11-12-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

IMHO both souls have their difficulties,

Pyromancer has a pretty high curve to it right now, it holds alot of Damage but to even reach its potiental your going to need to get through ALOT of headache and you wont see a massive improvement in DPS (some say there is a huge difference, there might be a bigger difference if a Pro is using the soul) but on the average player base you've really gotta minmax pyromancer to get somewhere.

Inquisitor has its difficulties, if your using the DW type of Inquisitor it has a simular problem as pyromancer in the arts of Timing, Aegis is alittle bit more annoying, but DW has a travel time on it I.E further away you are the longer it'll take to apply getting that right means u need to get the timing direct everytime or your restacking DW to 3...

The hardest soul by far (this is my personal take, others may have found it easier) for me was the Defiler, i find this soul very hard to keep up with, its simular to chloromancer but it has no AoE Support healing for it, its much more playing on the edge and needs quick reactions, its the only healer which healing the group actually ticks ur life down, its also got some nice CDS etc etc behind it if perfected - but it isnt a DPS soul, its a DPS+Healing hybrid.

On DPS Side when comparing Mages and Clerics on a pure DPS front, i'd say,

Pyromancer being the hardest soul to use overall on the mage sides of things it has the longest rotations its openings are a clutterfest, it hasnt anything sustainable about it, its really purely how good you are at it decides realistically if ur going to pull DPS with it.

Inquisitor has a learning curve to it, Pyromancer is harder then Inquisitor but inquisitor has its QoLs inplemented it has its little things which made life easer playing the soul, Pyromancer is still in-need of this

I find Inquisitor harder to play in PvP

Pyromancer harder to play in PvE.

Shaman imho isnt the easiest soul (i wouldnt say its a huge leap in skill to play) but it defintly takes knowledge and experince to play one to the best of its capability it has alot of capability to mix into alot of situations it really depends on how good u are at those situations and how well u can keep everything weaved.

I'd say both souls have Easy souls and their harder to play souls,

Minmaxing with anything will take skill, Pyromancers lack of QoL is what realistically is pushing it to the brink its a headache to deal with and has so many clutterfests it for some people takes away from the enjoyment.

I'd say try both souls, until u naturally favor one and play that more imho its the best way to see what your enjoying and it doesnt slow levelling down too much 1-50 is a pretty fast process.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    In a case of the most complicated dps to play, pyromancer would probably win

One thing you might want to consider is the variety of dps builds each calling has:

Cleric only has 2 viable dps builds: inquisitor and shaman. That's 1 ranged and 1 melee. Overall, they have 4 dps souls.

Mage has 2-4 viable dps builds depending on who you ask: harbinger, pyromancer, necromancer and pyrochon. That's 3 ranged and 1 melee. Overall, they have 6 dps souls.

(rogues have a wider variety of dps callings both melee and ranged. warriors have less, but has 1 ranged and at least 2 melee, and the all-powerful tempagon right now)

You should also consider that doing dps alone is a major detriment to your personal progression. In the cases of healing and support, mage acts most like a dps and does not require a separate set of gear. tanks are more or less equivalent to each other.
    Don't know about you but I can pull 14k dps on druid.

Bit to answer your question mages have more dps builds and 1 healing soul. Cleric has 3 dps, 3 healing and 1 tanking soul. Though you might gravitate towards dps roles, if you are looking for the challenge then try something outside your comfort zone.

+ Reply to Thread