+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Are classes really that unbalanced?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default Are classes really that unbalanced?

    Hi, I'm a new player in Rift, and after reading the forums for a few days while leveling and deleting some trial characters, i came to the following conclusions:

    - Warriors think their class can't do anything in PvP against ranged targets
    - Rogues think their class is broken in PvP, in a bad way
    - Clerics say they do no damage outside their 3s burst once in a while
    - Mages simply think any other build except the paid one (harb?) is just bad

    Do Rift classes in PvP really have major flaws that make them unable to perform against different builds or playstyles? Can't a build be on par with any other build?

    I have been a WoW player for quite a few years, and the thing that allured me the most in that game was that I could defeat any other class or build no matter what my build was, provided that I knew the mechanics of my class at least decently. It didn't require me to be a godlike player to be able to 1v1 any other build out there.

    The reason why I am asking this, is because class balance in PvP is THE most important aspect in a game for me. I disagree completely with the Mage-Warrior-Ranger triad in a way that Warrior must win vs a ranger, but will lose vs a Mage. I do not like playing when I know I'll probably lose even when equally footed and skilled.

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SanityPanda View Post
    Hi, I'm a new player in Rift, and after reading the forums for a few days while leveling and deleting some trial characters, i came to the following conclusions:

    - Warriors think their class can't do anything in PvP against ranged targets
    - Rogues think their class is broken in PvP, in a bad way
    - Clerics say they do no damage outside their 3s burst once in a while
    - Mages simply think any other build except the paid one (harb?) is just bad

    Do Rift classes in PvP really have major flaws that make them unable to perform against different builds or playstyles? Can't a build be on par with any other build?

    I have been a WoW player for quite a few years, and the thing that allured me the most in that game was that I could defeat any other class or build no matter what my build was, provided that I knew the mechanics of my class at least decently. It didn't require me to be a godlike player to be able to 1v1 any other build out there.

    The reason why I am asking this, is because class balance in PvP is THE most important aspect in a game for me. I disagree completely with the Mage-Warrior-Ranger triad in a way that Warrior must win vs a ranger, but will lose vs a Mage. I do not like playing when I know I'll probably lose even when equally footed and skilled.
    Classes are ok, but in general PvP there are simply some specs thats more dominant than others.

  3. #3
    Ascendant Primalthirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,832

    Default

    Ready any MMO forums and you will reach the conclusion that every class is simultaneously overpowered and useless.
    Nope.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Ready any MMO forums and you will reach the conclusion that every class is simultaneously overpowered and useless.
    That is pretty much common sense, I'm not exactly new in the MMO scene.
    What I'm saying, though, is that in this specific game, it does not seem a matter of whiners wanting their class to be overpowered and refusing to adapt to other classes, it really looks like a matter of lack of balance.

    I'm just trying to clear this question before i level to 60 and face those problems by myself, only to realise i have wasted hours of my life.
    Last edited by SanityPanda; 11-09-2013 at 03:47 AM.

  5. #5
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    524

    Default

    In general all classes are decent in PvP with a few of their specs. In the end it comes down to your playstyle. For example; Assassin is amazing at unorganized warfronts but when people are actually communicating with each other you realize very quickly you die way too fast to do all your burst and you most likely won't have very good survivability; Cleric healing in PvP is better then mage healing since they don't have to depend on hitting targets and are harder to kill, but mages can dip into dominator as a subsoul to get some good CC; after the warrior rework they have some of the same issue as an assassin although I believe they burst far more but I could be wrong about that.

    The best thing you can do is figure out what you want to do in PvP and figure out what class does it best. I've seen builds that are said to be useless in PvP wrecking just because the user behind the keyboard were far better then their opponents. The only time you'll have to worry all that much about the best builds is if you start doing 5s, or do organized Conquests.
    Buff Harb! Nerf Ranger!

    Live
    Level 70 Mage Trollhydra (Main)
    Level 60 Rogue Siehydra (Used to be main D=)

  6. #6
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Can't edit but tell us what you want to do, and the calling you want to play, and then we can give you a decent idea of how well that calling does it.
    Buff Harb! Nerf Ranger!

    Live
    Level 70 Mage Trollhydra (Main)
    Level 60 Rogue Siehydra (Used to be main D=)

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple KellionBane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    105

    Default

    You'll always find exceptional players of every class, and in almost every spec... But some specs are just better at certain gear levels.

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    363

    Default

    In the MMO world, if a spec does 1% less damage than a competing spec, it's broken and worthless and the devs hate whoever plays it.

    Forum whining doesn't really reflect reality.

  9. #9
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SanityPanda View Post
    - Warriors think their class can't do anything in PvP against ranged targets
    - Rogues think their class is broken in PvP, in a bad way
    - Clerics say they do no damage outside their 3s burst once in a while
    - Mages simply think any other build except the paid one (harb?) is just bad

    .
    when every class is biatching about their own class instead of filling forums with QQ about how OP class x is then you can be fairly certain the classes are actually in a fairly good spot


    balance is like this
    warrior: rogues are OP
    rogue: no, clerics are OP
    cleric: no, mages are OP
    mage: LOL nerf warriors k thnx. too OP

    not balanced is more like this
    warrior: rogues are OP
    rogue: no, we're not
    clerics and mages: YES YOU ARE

    Quote Originally Posted by SanityPanda View Post
    Can't a build be on par with any other build?

    .
    the answer is no. RIft is all about bringing the right build/soul/spec for the right job
    Last edited by Gruntled; 11-19-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

    tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

  10. #10
    RIFT Guide Writer Redcruxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled View Post
    when every class is biatching about their own class instead of filling forums with QQ about how OP class x is then you can be fairly certain the classes are actually in a fairly good spot


    balance is like this
    warrior: rogues are OP
    rogue: no, clerics are OP
    cleric: no, mages are OP
    mage: LOL nerf warriors k thnx. too OP

    not balanced is more like this
    warrior: rogues are OP
    rogue: no, we're not
    clerics and mages: YES YOU ARE



    the answer is no. RIft is all about bringing the right build/soul/spec for the right job
    This ^

    OP: do yourself a huge favor and just ignore everything that everyone says on these forums. 99.99999% of the time its completely false and overexagerated.

    everyone feels underpowered at the moment because kill time in PvP is low, high ranking players can kill lower ranked players insanely fast so everyone feels like they're class is weak.

    Right now:
    Rogues are best at PvP dps
    Mages are best at PvP CC
    Clerics are best at PvP healing
    Warriors are best at PvP tanking

    but there are so many build combinations and have to take rank/gear into account... its impossible for anyone to judge which is truely OP

    PvE is another story entirely... but this thread is about PvP
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 11-20-2013 at 11:53 AM.

  11. #11
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Please, rogues would think they are perfectly balanced, even if their class could one shot everything in game and take 0 damage. Dem rogue players since the early MMo days were never one to admit their success being due to cheesy mechanics or being over-powered. XD

  12. #12
    Plane Touched Sacria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Pve wise. Rogues are a bit behind other classes in dps (both range and melee). But close enough to the point where it doesnt really matter.

  13. #13
    Champion R3db4ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Purutzil View Post
    Please, rogues would think they are perfectly balanced, even if their class could one shot everything in game and take 0 damage. Dem rogue players since the early MMo days were never one to admit their success being due to cheesy mechanics or being over-powered. XD
    BS, Rogues are one of the Comm. in Rift who dont cry and qq in the Forums till they are OP like hell or totally broken....


    There are a few Rogues crying like we are UP but they honestly, most times, just cant play and its most times pvp ppl...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacria View Post
    Pve wise. Rogues are a bit behind other classes in dps (both range and melee). But close enough to the point where it doesnt really matter.
    It matter, but still its really not that of a heavy "UP" thing that any rogue needs to cry ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    This game is not and never will be balanced for 1 vs 1.
    ~Daglar

  14. #14
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    This ^

    OP: do yourself a huge favor and just ignore everything that everyone says on these forums. 99.99999% of the time its completely false and overexagerated.

    everyone feels underpowered at the moment because kill time in PvP is low, high ranking players can kill lower ranked players insanely fast so everyone feels like they're class is weak.

    Right now:
    Rogues are best at PvP dps
    Mages are best at PvP CC
    Clerics are best at PvP healing
    Warriors are best at PvP tanking

    but there are so many build combinations and have to take rank/gear into account... its impossible for anyone to judge which is truely OP

    PvE is another story entirely... but this thread is about PvP
    what are these warrior tanking in warfronts ? a warrior tank is only good for stealing an objective before dying to a stealth rogue that then takes it back and said warrior repeats tactic all match

    I call this warrior tank a waste of a spot
    Last edited by SoulPlay; 11-30-2013 at 04:59 PM.

  15. #15
    Plane Touched Malcanthe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    201

    Default class PvP rankings

    Check out this post by Horsesock for some good players' opinions on pvp balance. Horsesock's and dday's list (same thread) seem reasonable to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts