+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there a wrong build?

Default Is there a wrong build?

Are there any wrong builds for any class? I understand not every build can work in every situation, but are there any which are completely unviable for PvP/PvE?

There are certainly non-viable builds. But you basically have to try to make them not viable. If you're trying to make it for a certain thing it will be decent enough most of the time.

There is a scale to which builds can fail. Lets just say that it is possible to make a build that is 60% less effective than ideal.

We aren't talking 80% vs 100%... we are talking a full 40% vs 100% effective even played to its full potential.

In other words, in the wrong spec, you are less than half a player.

So I would say that yes, there is such a thing as "Unviable".

Will I be okay as long as I dump 61 points in a tree?

Quote Originally Posted by Juerrilla View Post
    Will I be okay as long as I dump 61 points in a tree?
    Depends on the situation.

Some trees are geared heavily towards AOE situations, so if you are fighting a single target fight then you are not OK in that circumstance.

Some trees are geared towards stacking damage over time effects, but if the fight/situation you are in calls for immediate and large burst damage or your raid wipes, then you are not OK in that circumstance.

For the most part, a 61 point build is viable given the situation the tree is designed for. Its best to make sure you have 3 or 4 options at a minimum.

Ascendant

It's pretty hard to screw up a 61 point build. Outside of that, you'd have to be pretty dense to make a pyro build for dps and skip the damage increasing talents (as an example)

It is possible to make a build so fundamentally flawed that it can't really complete its intended role, or simply use the wrong spec for the wrong situation.

Ex: on my cleric I attempted to make a spec based on warden that could both dps and raid heal via geyser(like the old icar specs) it really couldn't do either, I was maintaining less than 7k dps while going through the hassle of running 6-7 dots on the target, and even if I only spammed geyser, the healing was negligible at best.

+ Reply to Thread