+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whats a good Cleric Tank Build?

Rift Disciple

Default Whats a good Cleric Tank Build?

Trying to figure out a good Tank spec, mainly for level 18+. I am pretty sure on Justicar/Shaman but not sure what to put in for the third soul since I probably won't be putting many points in it. I have Druid right now just for the heal on the pet but it seems rather useless.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00rna.quoocd.V0c

I put most of my points in Justicar just so I could get some extra agro and shield abilities early.

Is this a good starter build to start heading into the Fae Dungeons? Any help would be appreciated.

Rift Disciple

any advice?

Soulwalker

Not bad but I would drop Armor of virtue. The armor buff does not enjoy the bonus with mein of leadership. The armor only effects the base armor and on a cleric just does not have enough bang for the buck on chian. I would move those talents elsewhere. Other then that its solid imho.

Shadowlander

i put 2 points into druid on mine, shield of oak is pretty damn awesome.

I am currently Justicar / Shaman / Warden Tanky type Cleric. It's working decently, and I can hold the line fairly well.

The warden has no points as it's there just as an ability to toss healing on annother in a pinch. Similar to your use of Druid, but as a Dwarf character there is no whay I'm running about with that lil Fairy following me from the Druid tree.

Soulwalker

+1 for the no fey pet on my justicar

The only thing I have found the justicar to be lacking is a solid tree option other then shaman. The druid shield is nice dip for 2 points as the shield is not effected by mein of leadership however.
    Last edited by tadaka; 01-27-2011 at 09:16 PM.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...Euq0zz.V0yh.xx I originally took Armor of Virtue, but, as tadaka pointed out, chain doesn't have the best armor rating. If it balances out better in the higher levels, just move the points from Hammer of Virtue to Armor of Virtue. Though it might be worth taking anyways.

I took Absolution because I just didn't feel right not taking it. Battle rezes are few and far between, y'know?

Reprieve isn't really necessary, but can be used as a reactionary cooldown after a hard hit from a boss. If you don't want it, I suggest keeping the point in the Justicar tree. That way you can keep Celerity.

Reparations would only be used if there are no other Justicars that are using it, otherwise you lock yourself out of the healing from them, though, based on the situation(such as heavy AoE bosses), it might be worth putting it on. Use your best judgment when using it.

As for a level 18 build, I'd go with something like this.

Soulwalker

I can cant wait to see the 51 point talent in action. I know a lot of them are not worthwile but I hope the damage and heal from it is solid enough to be a worthwile investment.

Rift Disciple

Thanks all for the advice and thanks Skryth for the sample tree. Oak shield is pretty nice, but noticed it only blocks physical damage. Does anyone know if the ice shield in Shaman tree is better? It's a heavy point investment so not sure if it's worth it.

I was originally going to go Just main, with a few in Shaman and none in Druid......but have decided to go Just, with few in druid, and none in Shaman. Seems that the buffs to endurance and heals from Druid tree helps Tanking more then whatever dmg boost from Shaman. I had almost no use for any of the extra strikes.

I have been keeping fae pet on passive with the heal turned on so it just stays by my side and heals me.

I'm probably gonna try this when I hit 18 for my first dungeons:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00rna.xuks0b..x0z

Will eventually be filling out talents like shield of faith and safe haven, but since I get even justice at 18 wanted the extra hits for aoe tanking.

Unfortunetly haven't found much use for Shaman yet tho. Druid just got the bonus stam and single target heal for 6 points, gives me the extra strike that red dmg taken as well.

Any other advice for a Cleric Tank?

Shadowlander

This is one that I posted on my thread on this subject, keep in mind this is for lvl 30 but hope it helps:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10nra.V0V.quo0yu.x

This is the link to the thread that got some good info thrown back and forth.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...sticar+tanking

I tried this (expanded to 30, I am not quite there yet) and, despite my scruples about it, it worked well:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00nrG.xo.xuksLuRzd

I took Purifier exclusively for the shield which is very happy making, I have to say, and Shaman for the resists, slapped the rest into Justicar as, I'd believe, it is intended (get to 30 in one soul, then branch out). At 25 tanking is good and I have enough tools to keep myself up in Public Groups when all the healers think they're DPS

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Vyld View Post
    I tried this (expanded to 30, I am not quite there yet) and, despite my scruples about it, it worked well:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00nrG.xo.xuksLuRzd

I took Purifier exclusively for the shield which is very happy making, I have to say, and Shaman for the resists, slapped the rest into Justicar as, I'd believe, it is intended (get to 30 in one soul, then branch out). At 25 tanking is good and I have enough tools to keep myself up in Public Groups when all the healers think they're DPS
    I feel the shield from druids is just as good and the melee attack buff is better imo compared to what purifer gave, also you gain a pet that fights with you and heals you and your allies.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbner View Post
    I feel the shield from druids is just as good and the melee attack buff is better imo compared to what purifer gave, also you gain a pet that fights with you and heals you and your allies.
    I agree. I am a little taken aback by the flying faerie, I admit, it doesn't "feel" tanky to me to be honest and I have never been a pet class payer for that reason . It is definitely a great build to look at, though, but that's what I love about RIFT, I can be a great tank without it

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Vyld View Post
    I agree. I am a little taken aback by the flying faerie, I admit, it doesn't "feel" tanky to me to be honest and I have never been a pet class payer for that reason . It is definitely a great build to look at, though, but that's what I love about RIFT, I can be a great tank without it
    exactly and ya its taking some getting use to for me too with the fairy lol, i actually hate it lol. I almost said "nah ill try a different soul" lol

The essence of tanking is holding threat and so it goes without saying that you will need the Justicar soul's Mien of Leadership up which also means that all self cast healing abilities other than Salvation (self melee heal max'd by Justicar abilities), Reparation (party wide melee heal max'd by Justi abilities) and Reprieve (long cooldown mega heal) are majorly nerfed.
    Grabbing the Justicar damage abilites is essential since they add over twice the healing of other soul abilities helping to offset the lower armor of the Justicar compared to warrior tanks.
    The armor buff sounds great but actually offers very little real mitigation so you may prefer to sink the filler points into the Doctrine abilties, but since they are nerfed 40% and casting them will eat up a global cooldown that would probably be better spent doing damage, it's probably better to opt for the armor.

Shaman is the next obvious choice for the 5% damage reduction talent, the +15% to incoming heals and the Glacial shield ability. Also if you build up for a raised crit chance you can increase your threat whilst gaining a little healing in the process. Hailstones adds passive damage and along with crag hammer augments Justicar healing through Salv/Rep as well as overall threat.

Next obvious choice is Druid.
    The fae pet heals are abysmal but you can choose to boost these by 30% or alternatively increase your threat by upping your eruption of life's damage output. Trickster spirit and Shield of Oak are great tanking tools as they allow you to have a second damage shield as well as a means to reduce an opponents damage output by 5%, boost crits for some synergistic shaman heals not to mention that the 5% boost to endurance is ok for a tank.

The end lvl build might look like this : Tank
    Last edited by Quoth; 01-28-2011 at 05:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast