+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kedon
  • 2 Post By Skollvaldr
  • 1 Post By Saryad

Thread: Battle rezzes and the screen freeze

Ascendant

Default Battle rezzes and the screen freeze

I think just about everyone knows what I mean here. You "Oops" in a boss fight, get rezzed and pray fervently that your temporarily helpless toon isn't killed in the 3 or so second screen freeze that follows you hitting the "Accept Resurrection" button.

Perhaps it's time something was done to prevent these screen freezes. Though truthfully I'm not even sure what causes the game to hitch up the way it does, it's almost like a short loading screen; like your toon leaves the area very briefly before appearing at your rezzer's feet.

On the other hand Soul Walk does not cause any freeze and happens totally instantaneously.

Now, naturally, it'd be preferable to just fix whatever causes the game to hitch the way it does. But if that's not possible: How about if combat rezzes were instead to cause the recipient to enter a very short 2-3 second Soul Walk instead of trying to pop them back up right away, thus bypassing whatever causes the game to hitch up that way?
    Last edited by Kedon; 10-05-2013 at 12:08 AM.

amazes me still that if you accept a summon from within ..lets say.. view range, you just blip over there, no load time or freeze.

Just still ever since launch you freeze or hand for way to long on a rez, and still cant see why.
    This is one of those longterm quality of life fixes that relay required
    Forbiden (70) | Demara (70) | Midas (65) | Minatsuki (65)

Server = Zaviel!

Rift Disciple

I really like the 'mini soulwalk' idea.

Even without the screen freeze, brezz in its current form leaves room for too much random error. Much too often the rezz is popped right before a random AoE hits that area. In effect, the rezzed is much too dependent on the rezzer.

The mini soulwalk would give more control to the rezzed and would prevent screen freeze if its coded the same way as the long soulwalk. Make it 2-3 seconds to allow for re-positioning.

In fact, I think all rezzes should function that way. Maybe 5 seconds on out of combat rezzes to allow the rezzed to get out of boss aggro range when rezzed after wipes.

Telaran

Mini soulwalk actually sounds sensible. I am on a low end laptop and very often die to aoe even after a good combat ress.

This has been brought up multiple times and to be honest it's really sad that after two and a half years nothing has been done about this.

Plenty of other MMOs have no problem with battle res lag so how did the devs screw up their coding and implement a system that causes this lag?

Changing battle res to grant a 2-3s soul walk would be ideal, but let's be honest, it will never happen.

batlleres lag can be as long as 20 seconds, no matter what you do, there WILL be a random aoe waiting in most cases after that long of a wait.

Plane Touched

also brez still brings you back to your home shard in world pve

which is super awesome when you're fighting kaazra and you respawn next to a herald and get instakilled before it finishes loading and now your corpse is on the wrong shard

You think that's bad, wait til you do "Onyx".
    Sunberry, cleric lead, Nicely Played, Faeblight; 2/4 GA; 1/4 HM; 1/3 IG; 1/5 PB

Ascendant

Been watching this more closely lately. And I'm just about convinced it's not the rezz itself which causes the game to freeze up for a few seconds. But the portion that moves you to the rezzer's location immediately afterwards.

With a fair few people lagging right now (I can't tell if this was a result of mine, the healer's or both however) what I noticed was that when rezzed I'd immedately get up, actually be able to fire off an ability or two (!) and then when the rezz pulls me to the healer's position that's when the screen freeze occurs.

In fact, all objects, spell effects (including ground AEs) and players vanish for a few seconds before being reloaded when I was pulled over to them. I suspect that rather than moving directly to the location, as with summons and ports, the character seems to take a quick detour to some outside location. That the freeze is due to the game reloading the area.
    Last edited by Kedon; 10-27-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Good eye, but there's still no excuse for lag like that during a simple teleport (and no excuse for us to be moved elsewhere before being moved again to the resser's feet). Riftstalkers can teleport up to 50m without experiencing the same lag that accompanies a resurrection.

Trion really needs to take a look at the code that handles resses and finally get to work fixing that...
    Last edited by takadox; 10-29-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Ascendant

Oh, I agree. And it's rather frustrating that this issue has persisted for so long, I can't imagine it being a particular huge task to fix it either given that soul walk does not cause the game to freeze up like rezzes do.
    Last edited by Kedon; 10-30-2013 at 07:23 AM.

I like the idea of a "short soul walk"

The only potential problem I see is if your body is in a location that cannot "walk" to where you need to be... the current brez teleport fixes that problem by placing you by your rezer (an solid and accessible piece of encounter terrain), but if you were granted a short "soul walk" and were incapable of moving to where you need to be... then we'd all be complaining that brezes are being wasted, since they don't summon your body to a safe location. In most cases, when you die somewhere that you can't "walk" out of, you get ported to the doorway of the encounter... but just throwing up a potential problem with the "short soul walk" idea.
    Shermanator@Greybriar | 4/4(c) - 3/3 - 5/5 | R90 | Ten Inches Unbuffed

+ Reply to Thread