+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Tanking - why does it remain an unpopular role?

Soulwalker

Default Tanking - why does it remain an unpopular role?

After 7 years of playing different MMOs, one thing that i have noticed in most of them is that the tank role is the least played role, and by a big margin.

I started playing Rift 2 weeks ago, and whilst i was downloading the game, i was doing my research on the classes and found out that 3 of them have the opportunity to be able to tank. I genuinely thought i would see a lot of tanks. Why? Because i thought one of the main reasons people didn't tank was because the role was tied to certain classes in other MMOs.

I was doing a zone invasion, the boss was wiping people left, right and center, and when i joined the raid group, it was because no one was tanking. People raging in the raid chat. As soon as i joined the raid, as a tank, someone in the chat said "thank goodness, a tank is here". It would seem people would rather keep dieing and raging instead of picking up a tank spec. No matter what time of day, Tank is instant queue in LFG.

So im just curious on peoples opinions as to why the tanking role still remains unpopular, even though most classes can role one on the fly.
    Last edited by Zeike; 08-16-2013 at 08:54 PM.

1. Needs special gear set (not relevant at lower levels).
    2. Poor soloing spec, in a game where people mostly solo.
    3. Main job in a group (hold aggro) is easy enough to be boring, yet very obviously screws the group if you ever fail at it. Worst of both worlds.
    4. Nearly powerless to improve the group's chances by playing better. If group is wiping, you just have to hope everyone else plays better next time. Or get better gear.
    5. Yet, if truly performing badly, cannot possibly be carried.

Add it up and you have a role that is too easy and too reliant on others to excite high-skill players, yet too punishing of failure to be playable by low-skill players. A role that requires a much heavier commitment to grouping than any other (you have to farm an extra gear set! that's useless for solo!) in a game where people mostly solo. It's a wonder anyone plays it at all. But I'm glad they do.
    I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Zeike View Post
    I was doing a zone invasion, the boss was wiping people left, right and center, and when i joined the raid group, it was because no one was tanking. People raging in the raid chat. As soon as i joined the raid, as a tank, someone in the chat said "thank goodness, a tank is here". It would seem people would rather keep dieing and raging instead of picking up a tank spec. No matter what time of day, Tank is instant queue in LFG.
    I have 3 different tanking roles and rarely tank during invasions or events unless I know someone in the party for 2 reasons.

1. Quite often you wont have any tank healers.
    2. Most important one. The amount of times everyone's mounted up and ran off to the next objective leaving me to stand there and take 10 minutes killing mobs put me off big time. You cant mount up and run off with mobs whaling on you.

Tanking relies on the holy trinity. It requires other players to play their part selflessly. And too few do unfortunately.

Once bitten, twice shy.

So I go ranged DPS and let others build up aggro first. Which just contributes to the problem, I'm aware, but being part of the solution is too thankless. If there is a tank I will stay and help him kill mobs however as long as he doesn't keep mindlessly pulling
    Last edited by ewarwoo; 08-16-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    Rumpunch (W) - Rumedy (C) - Chaos Inc of Laethys
    Rumbelina (W) - Rummstein (R) - Rumic (M) - Seraphim of Laethys
    My warriors be mostly using......

1. Too much responsibility, and most people are averse to responsibility. They would rather give blame than take them
    2. Selfish, excessively so
    2.1 The "me me" mentality
    3. More exciting to most people to see t3h b1g cr1tz l0l
    3.1 Thus easier to monitor character power and progress. You could say that big HP is exciting but putting out bigger numbers is more so

It's really the players. Even if every class can tank and the game showers everyone with tanking gear, there will still be no tanks. You will just find people DPsing in tank gears.
    Shinryujin | Tsuyuko | Chieri | Kimiyomi

After seven years of playing mmos, I'd venture one would already know the answer(s) to this frequent question.

Also there is comparatively few raid slots for dedicated tanks. Most fights will be tanked by the MT and any off tanks will be primarily dpsers with bags full of tanking gear.

way too much pressure
    everyone expects the best tank in the world
    and if you mess up a tiny bit they just rag on you until you leave
    I came for the raids, ended up spending all of my time (and plat) on Dimensions
    Psy 60MageFaeblight
    Mage Class Lead
    <The Remorseless>
    "Hodor."-Hodor

Ascendant

<^> will keep building his tank spec, whether they let him tank or not

<^> will keep practicing his tank spec , whether they let him tank or not

<^> will keep ready to tank if ever needed or not

<^> will be ready when , if, ever.

<^> not too proud, just ready to be versatile for his guild

<^> still has a buncha dps builds too.

<^> has not rogue tanked in over 1 year, lol; except a few experts.
    Last edited by Chaszar; 08-17-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Warhaul View Post
    That's definitely a big part of it, particularly a few months after the latest expansion hits. I leveled my cleric tank up soon after SL release and groups were a lot more forgiving because no one could realistically have much gear that early on.

Getting my warrior geared up now though? You're basically expected to have fully upgraded near-BiS in some of these groups. I just got out of a EC run where we were doing totally fine, I never dropped below half health, didn't once stand in extra damage, we even managed to ace Perfidus with two dps who had never done the fight before and didn't really get the whole "kite elementals into his face" aspect until the last second. Right before the last boss the healer inspects me and starts raging at me for having not upgraded my achyati trinket yet. Because that 40 dodge and parry really would have made the difference in this instance.

Third time this kind of thing has happened to me this week. I've grown a thick skin playing tanks in most MMOs over the last decade but I can totally see how disheartening it could be to someone trying to break into the role for the first time. The sheer hostility is depressing and would turn me off if I didn't love the instant queues and setting the pace so much.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Stay View Post
    1. Needs special gear set (not relevant at lower levels).
    2. Poor soloing spec, in a game where people mostly solo.
    3. Main job in a group (hold aggro) is easy enough to be boring, yet very obviously screws the group if you ever fail at it. Worst of both worlds.
    4. Nearly powerless to improve the group's chances by playing better. If group is wiping, you just have to hope everyone else plays better next time. Or get better gear.
    5. Yet, if truly performing badly, cannot possibly be carried.
    6. Only person responsible for knowing the zone layout, and which pulls have to be done to finish as fast as possible.
    7. Only person responsible for knowing boss mechanics, everyone else just has "don't stand in fire".
    8. Someone made the genius idea of giving the tanks the interrupt abilities, because they don't already have enough to worry about. God forbid dps have to hit something other than their macro spam.
    9. Default leader of the group, and no, I'm not talking about the game designated 'group leader'. You're responsible for getting things done.

Still, I like being the tank. If I suck as dps, I get blacklisted, and my queue times skyrocket. If I suck as a tank, people can ignore me all they want. My queues are still instant. Pissing off the tank makes YOUR queue longer, not mine.

way too much pressure
    Middle line, in particular. The devs, since WoW towards the end of TBC, have made it so farming experts is how you progress. People get used to being able to blow through them mindlessly, especially as each expansion gets older, and the average gear level increases. Try being a new tank in that. The healer is pissed because he actually has to heal, and the dps are pissed because their queues are so long they want to get through the dungeon as fast as possible. If you aren't chain pulling, if you so much as stop at all, people throw their little temper tantrums.

But as I said, who cares. You're a tank. Your queue is always instant. Let them whine. Ignore them and move on with your life.
    Last edited by Sumelar; 08-17-2013 at 06:38 PM.

way too much pressure
    This. I don't mind tanking for friends/guild mates. In fact I enjoy it. But I don't. tank. pugs. I'd rather deal with long queues and queue as a DPS for a pug than deal with any abuse I might get for not holding aggro, when 1/2 the time the blame actually belongs to the dps who ninja pulled or the healer who was too busy doing whatever to actually do their job.
    Last edited by soulseeker; 08-17-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Champion

Honestly, I have the opposite problem of a lot of what you pointed out:

Tanking has become so ridiculously easy in this game to me it's just not a fulfilling job anymore. I can pretty much pull a bunch do one rotation then go afk until they're dead and still have agro, and if the healer is halfway decent I don't need CDs.

Then again I tanked with RS back when the game first came out. Come back for F2P, tank some, and see that tanking is easy as ****.

I will say, knowing all this really irritates me when the tank can't do simple things like move the boss so the melee dps can you know DPS, and that's not even when I'm melee DPS.

First I tank on all three tanking classes and will likely finish up leveling my mage to tank on them when the time comes as well.

The thing about tanking is that it involves a person to be there. In comparison a DPS can be half-afk and no one would ever notice. Healer's can be AFK-ish in some points too depending on the ability and gear of the tank. A tank has to be paying attention at all time or people die. A tank has to be in control. The tank is the leader of the party through dungeons.

The tank is the focal point of the group. If they screw up then the party or raid fails. Can you handle that without the game becoming a chore?

An advantage of being or wanting to be a tank is you get geared really fast. Most people don't want the responsibility of being a tank. In raids a tank gets the tank gear fast because only a few select people can or want to tank.

So in my opinion the main reason people don't want to tank is that they just don't want the responsibilities that come with being a tank.

Shadowlander

Tanking is easy. Getting dps players to throttle back, is hard.

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about tanking in this game are dps players mentoring down, and trying to tell me how to do my job. I don't care if you're max level in purples. When you slink down into the lowbie ghetto, you're just a regular player like the rest of us. Chill with the condescending attitude, and the constant referencing of higher level content. You think I care about something I can't even do yet? Yeesh.

dbe
    General of Telara

If there's 2 things that would make MMOs better, it would be divorcing from the tank/heal/damage trinity, and getting rid of the idea of boss fights. Both are over-played and stale.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast