+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warlock. no pets please?

Rift Disciple

Default Warlock. no pets please?

Would love a DOT and kite class. With a slow and snare.
    With out pets. I love to DOT and kite but most MMOs that have these types of classes have pets to take aggro for those who do not know how or do not want to kite.
    I do not see anything that says there are pets for this class so I am hopeful.
    Does any one Know for sure?
    Thank you for your good news if I am right.
    Hand me a tissue if I am wrong.

There are no pet related abilities in their soul tree (unlike the Elementalist which has several) and no mention of pets on the official Warlock page so from all the available data it looks like the Warlock is not a pet class.

Warlock will not have a pet rejoice!

In Allods Online, Summoners were just like Warlocks with pets, and had a 'Wandering Fever' skill aka aids like Trion's "Radiate Death". Did not balance well. At all. So the choice of no pet is probably for balance.
    Last edited by Mercury; 09-23-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Warlocks are casters that are pet-less and deal with delivering damage over time.

Elementalists and Necromancers on the other hand...
    w w w . F A E L O R . c o m
    Administrator of Rift Seekers | [former] Guild Master of <Primal> | Administrator of Halcyon Affinity
    Rift Podcast | Rift Seekers is currently dormant for various reasons, thank you for understanding | Telerapedia

Rift Disciple

I did read the class spell list and with all of your confirmation i am now moving this game to the top of this list of games to geek out over until release.

Thank you for the good news.

now if only you could find the release date...I wont tell anyone...its just me and you here.

Great to see that we get a Pet-less Warlock class for once.

Maybe i can make more of a Dark Wizard build (I hope there will be a second Caster class to fit with the Warlock for that) without running around with a pet at my side. Not that i'd mind some sort of summoned creature, but i don't want the class to be focused around pets.

I don't get why everyone expects Warlocks to have pets. Traditionally, they are just male witches. I don't think any lore existed that put Warlocks with pets until D&D 3.5 like 6 or 7 years ago, then WoW had it. That's about all I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Warlock will not have a pet rejoice!

And this is why.

In Allods Online, Summoners were just like Warlocks with pets, and had a 'Wandering Fever' skill aka aids. Did not balance well. At all. So the choice of no pet is probably for balance.
    bwahaha summoners rocked

Computer: Massive sexy beast that rocks your socks off

Quote Originally Posted by Scythras View Post
    I don't get why everyone expects Warlocks to have pets. Traditionally, they are just male witches. I don't think any lore existed that put Warlocks with pets until D&D 3.5 like 6 or 7 years ago, then WoW had it. That's about all I can think of.
    And even then, it wasn't like you were dependant on the Pet, it's just a perk of beeing in connections with demons xD

But yeah, it seems the Warlock in this game somewhat relates to Male Witches with the debuffs and dots. Somewhat anyway.

Rift Disciple forestwhitakereye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malazan View Post
    Would love a DOT and kite class. With a slow and snare.
    With out pets. I love to DOT and kite but most MMOs that have these types of classes have pets to take aggro for those who do not know how or do not want to kite.
    I do not see anything that says there are pets for this class so I am hopeful.
    Does any one Know for sure?
    Thank you for your good news if I am right.
    Hand me a tissue if I am wrong.
    I don't know why you wouldn't want a pet. A pet is your best friend when kiting. As long as you have the aggro, a pet is a DoT that never stops ticking. And if it does take aggro for whatever reason, (assuming it doesn't die immediately), it gives you a few seconds to either launch a big nuke to get aggro back or lets you get a few more steps away. A pet can also be sent in at the beginning of kiting to keep the mob's attention while you load it up with DoTs. Or if something bad happens, a pet can easily be left behind to give you a big head start.

Besides, I'm not really seeing a lot to be happy about from a kiting perspecting in the Warlock tree. Unless I'm missing something, Wither is your only snare, and while it has a big effect, it's still only 8 seconds with a 15 second cooldown and a 1.5 second cast. You have up to two Fear spells but we don't know to what extent damage will break that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by forestwhitakereye View Post
    I don't know why you wouldn't want a pet. A pet is your best friend when kiting.
    A note hidden in the palm of your hand with test answers may for some be seen as your 'best friend for taking a test', but that doesn't mean people do it. A pet, in most games, makes kiting much easier. And that was the OP's point, from what I can tell. Your ability to kite shouldn't be determined by the fact that your pet can off tank it for 5 seconds to give you more range, kiting should be determined by your ability to kite. Planning your movements, chaining your skills perfectly, avoiding adds etc.

Quote Originally Posted by forestwhitakereye View Post
    Besides, I'm not really seeing a lot to be happy about from a kiting perspecting in the Warlock tree.
    Again, kiting should be about the player with his hands on the keyboard and mouse, not about what tools he has to make it easier. Sure, there are usually some tools, but they should be the bare minimum for succeeding when doing it 100% perfectly.

For example, in Corum Online I played an Arcus. At around lvl 80 I solo ran all world bosses up to lvl 149 just kiting. A kill could take 20 minutes, or up to an hour in the extreme cases - and there were no skills or talents that made it easier except a slight movement speed buff with a CD of 1 minute and a 5s root every 30s. Just a bow user with light armor and heavy hitting attacks. It was economically rewarding, and most of all it gave a sense of achievement getting good at it.

The Warlock does appear to have some brief stuns attached to his attacks, which is probably going to be the only in-tree utility for kiting. This is enough
    Last edited by Mercury; 09-23-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Rift Disciple forestwhitakereye's Avatar

A note hidden in the palm of your hand with test answers may for some be seen as your 'best friend for taking a test', but that doesn't mean people do it. A pet, in most games, makes kiting much easier. And that was the OP's point, from what I can tell. Your ability to kite shouldn't be determined by the fact that your pet can off tank it for 5 seconds to give you more range, kiting should be determined by your ability to kite. Planning your movements, chaining your skills perfectly, avoiding adds etc.

Again, kiting should be about the player with his hands on the keyboard and mouse, not about what tools he has to make it easier. Sure, there are usually some tools, but they should be the bare minimum for succeeding when doing it 100% perfectly.
    I don't understand the distinction. The pet makes kiting much easier. Snares make kiting much easier. Stuns make kiting much easier. Fears make kiting much easier. Your ability to kill the mob is impacted by your ability to correctly apply all these things. If your pet can survive tanking for 5 seconds but not 10, does it not take skill to be able to be able to use that to its full potential and not lose the pet? If your pet cannot tank the mob AT ALL, does it not take even more skill to keep it alive?

I guess it depends on what your goal is. If your goal is to kill a mob for experience and loot, you use whatever tools are available at your disposal. If your goal is to kill a mob in the most difficult, exacting way possible in order to get a sense of achievement, by all means, go to it. In fact, you should probably choose a pet class and then choose not to use the pet.

Besides, I'm guessing once you've kited a boss around for 20 minutes and proved you can kill it, you didn't try seeing how few pieces of armor you could wear and still do it, did you? This bare minimum for success concept has its limits.

Rift Disciple

For example, in Corum Online I played an Arcus. At around lvl 80 I solo ran all world bosses up to lvl 149 just kiting. A kill could take 20 minutes, or up to an hour in the extreme cases - and there were no skills or talents that made it easier except a slight movement speed buff with a CD of 1 minute and a 5s root every 30s. Just a bow user with light armor and heavy hitting attacks. It was economically rewarding, and most of all it gave a sense of achievement getting good at it.

The Warlock does appear to have some brief stuns attached to his attacks, which is probably going to be the only in-tree utility for kiting. This is enough
    This guy gets me. Exactly what I meant.

I want to have to constantly move, I want to have to time everything perfectly. you should not be able to stun or fear lock anything. should all be well timed. For geeks liek me it is a bit of an art form to get it right. Makes grinding fun.
    It does make grinding take longer sometimes but if you are good you can kite "heroic" or "elite" type mobs. If Rift even has those. I am a bit of a newbie still.
    I understand a pet makes it easier and in no way do i mean easy mod. But for those who like pets and kiting there are classes for that.
    They made this one for me and those like me.

So thank you for the Warlock

+ Reply to Thread