Closed Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Best DPS class

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default Best DPS class

    Basically, in every MMO I play DPS classes because they are the easiest and I always want to see big numbers whenever I hit my skills

    Rift however got me confuse. Though there are only 4 callings, each of these callings have many different sub classes and most can do DPS.

    My question is, which of these sub classes can do the most DPS even though they have crap gears (because I'm just going to start playing this game so I don't have good gears yet) and at the same time have a very easy time soloing questing leveling farming.

    I'm guessing it's between rogues and mages but I don't know which sub classes to take in these to for me to become a mean DPS machine.

    Is it hunteR? marksman? assassin? Nightblade? Blade dancer? Harbinger? pyromancer? etc


    thank you in advance to those who well shed some info for me

  2. #2
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,720

    Default

    The builds that are good for solo questing are not the same builds that you'll want to use for soloing. But since you can carry around up to six roles and switch between them as desired, you can be flexible-- maybe you'd carry a harbinger/chloro spec for questing, and a pyromancer build for dungeons.

    Anyways, the four classes are reasonably well balanced. Warriors are slightly worse at soloing than the rest, but it's not a particularly significant difference.

    Pick the playstyle you enjoy the most and stick with it.
    Last edited by Muspel; 05-19-2013 at 08:12 AM.

  3. #3
    Ascendant Primalthirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,825

    Default

    All the cool kids wear dresses
    <Coriolis> Engineer Lead
    Top-tier Oceanic Raiding - Recruiting for Wildstar

  4. #4
    Ascendant NotTrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Riftblade(warrior) is the obvious answer. Top of the charts damage while being far easier than any spec that competes with it. It can also solo decently well. If you have trouble there is always the Perfect Solo Build; a warlord/champ hybrid.

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    The builds that are good for solo questing are not the same builds that you'll want to use for soloing. But since you can carry around up to six roles and switch between them as desired, you can be flexible-- maybe you'd carry a harbinger/chloro spec for questing, and a pyromancer build for dungeons.

    Anyways, the four classes are reasonably well balanced. Warriors are slightly worse at soloing than the rest, but it's not a particularly significant difference.

    Pick the playstyle you enjoy the most and stick with it.
    So basically, what you're saying is that all classes here are equal in terms of dishing out damage since every class has a dps tree? it's only a matter of preference and playstyle?

    Currently I am enjoying playing as Rogue with assassin as subclass. Is this any good? or it will be hard for me to do dungeons later in the game because I am melee?

    I encountered some rift bosses and I was useless XD I can't even get into melee range because I keep getting 1shot by those pesky huge dragons.

    As a Rogue who wants to be a pure range DPS type, should I go for hunter or marksman spec?

    Also which spec should I do first for leveling purposes?

  6. #6
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xalaxiaz View Post
    So basically, what you're saying is that all classes here are equal in terms of dishing out damage since every class has a dps tree? it's only a matter of preference and playstyle?
    For the most part, yes. Sometimes, one class will end up being better than another for a patch or so, but that changes so frequently that you should pick something you enjoy rather than chasing the flavor of the month.

    Quote Originally Posted by xalaxiaz View Post
    Currently I am enjoying playing as Rogue with assassin as subclass. Is this any good? or it will be hard for me to do dungeons later in the game because I am melee?

    I encountered some rift bosses and I was useless XD I can't even get into melee range because I keep getting 1shot by those pesky huge dragons.
    Assassin is a heavily specialized soul, in that it has higher single-target damage than any other rogue spec, but no AoE whatsoever. It's not a great choice for dungeons for that reason, because there's a lot of trash to AoE down. You can use it on some dungeon bosses, though.

    As a rule of thumb, melee is harder to play, but does more damage than ranged. When you're fighting enemies that you're unfamiliar with, I'd stick with a ranged spec until you know the mechanics better-- it tends to be much more forgiving.


    Quote Originally Posted by xalaxiaz View Post
    As a Rogue who wants to be a pure range DPS type, should I go for hunter or marksman spec?
    I assume you mean ranger, not hunter.

    Marksman does slightly less damage than Ranger does, but it has a LOT more utility and does better on target swaps. I'd tend to recommend using MM for those reason. You can check the guide in my signature if you're interested in learning more about the playstyle.

    Quote Originally Posted by xalaxiaz View Post
    Also which spec should I do first for leveling purposes?
    The foundation for any rogue leveling spec is 4 points in Tactician for Curative Engine and 8 points in Riftstalker for Boosted Recovery. After that, you can put the rest of your points into the soul of your choice and you'll do okay, but the strongest options for "main" souls are Nightblade, Tactician, and Bladedancer.

    Bladedancer is the most powerful of the three, but it doesn't really work all that well until level 40 or 50, and it's a lot more complicated to play (see the guide in my signature). If you can master it, it's well worth it. If you don't want to bother, then Nightblade and Tactician are roughly on par with each other, but Nightblade is more focused on single-target and Tactician is built for AoE.

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Thank you again for those infos. I guess I should try marksman, A while ago, I was going towards ranger because I'm not a big fan of rifles, but seeing that marksman can use bows as well, I think I should try marksman and give your guide a try and maybe later if I get bored I can spec into more melee oriented like Assassins or Nightblade since resetting the souls is free in this game

    You've been a big help thanks

  8. #8
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    melee is more fun but generally speaking requires more skill due to increased danger and mechanics one has to deal with. I'd say commit to melee but only if your abilities allow

  9. #9
    Ascendant Zazen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xalaxiaz View Post
    Thank you again for those infos. I guess I should try marksman, A while ago, I was going towards ranger because I'm not a big fan of rifles, but seeing that marksman can use bows as well, I think I should try marksman and give your guide a try and maybe later if I get bored I can spec into more melee oriented like Assassins or Nightblade since resetting the souls is free in this game

    You've been a big help thanks
    There are no weapon restrictions in Rift based on soul, even if some abilities do require a certain type of equipped weapon to function. This is mostly moot since you will always fill your weapon slots by about level 10.
    Bard@Greybriar

    T1: Conq, T2: Conq, T3 (Bindings of Blood): 7/8
    I kill, I maim, I fornicate, but as far as my flock is concerned my only vice is a little tipple before Evensong - The baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

  10. #10
    Telaran Suyheuti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Best single target DPS class is 61 Paragon (Warrior)
    Best soloing build is 61 Champion / 15 Warlord (Warrior again)
    Seleucia - 60 Rogue (Main)
    Kibyra - 60 Warrior
    Coexist (Zaviel EU)
    FT 4/4 - EE 5/5 - GA 2/4

  11. #11
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suyheuti View Post
    Best single target DPS class is 61 Paragon (Warrior)
    Best soloing build is 61 Champion / 15 Warlord (Warrior again)
    Cleric is best class for soloing and doing dailies.

  12. #12
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flashmemory View Post
    Cleric is best class for soloing and doing dailies.
    If by Cleric, you mean Rogue, then sure.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Rounded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    All the cool kids wear dresses
    Close to this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z29Rk8814w

    (Sorry, wrong game, but still applies and is awesome)

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts