+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Give me a 2-handed Rogue!

Default Give me a 2-handed Rogue!

"Tread lightly and carry a big stick." Sound words of wisdom that appear to be often overlooked in MMOs. A big stick usually means a big guy wielding it. And to tread lightly usually means a little guy with a hand crossbow or daggers.

I'd like to see this mold broken.

Not necessarily a claymore/greatsword, but perhaps a katana and bastard sword weilded with 2 hands instead of 1.

Rogues come in all shapes and sizes. You have swashbucklers, roguish pirates, ninjas, etc.. etc.. Some wield a single weapon with a free offhand, some wield a firearm/crossbow and a sword.

One that I find horribly under represented is the rogue who takes a baseball bat, waits for you to be distracted and smashes it upside your head or across your Nancy Kerrigan bone.

Some would say sneaking around with a large weapon would break some semblance of belief. However, so would running around wielding a pair of longswords/katanas.

What really defines the rogue? Weapon of choice? Or how they use their skills?

As much as I like dual wielding, and I most certainly will be dual wielding (blade dancer pride), I'd like to see some rogues be able to switch to a 2 hander or switch it up by wielding a 1 and a half hander with 2 hands.

You may want to consider Champion and leather. They've mentioned that specifically (warrior choosing lighter armor types for agility type bonuses.) I'm not sure stealth will play a role in this game which is used to avoid combat. Your presented style sounds more Arnie Conan than true Conan.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

that still wouldn't allow sneaking around.

The weapon of choice shouldn't dictate the class so much as the playstyle.

It would fit a fighter well if he fought like a fighter, yes.

but what really separates the Rogues from the fighters in such circumstances?

cunning, wits, clever use of terrain, misleading, etc.. etc.. those are what define a rogue.

A Blade Dancer is a fighter in leather who dual wields a pair of swords, is very fast and has a lot of evasion. so why not make him a warrior class if all he is amounts to an evasion warrior in light armor?

Actually a Blade Dancer>Riftblade combo would be quite sexy.... damn.

By default, rogues are required to be able to move fast in order stay alive when getting beat on. Their choice way of staying alive is being fast and being able to evade while sacrificing the bulkier armors.

I would think its much harder to move quickly with one long metal stick as opposed to 2 smaller metal sticks.

I just don't think it would fit too well. imho.

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    You may want to consider Champion and leather. They've mentioned that specifically (warrior choosing lighter armor types for agility type bonuses.) I'm not sure stealth will play a role in this game which is used to avoid combat. Your presented style sounds more Arnie Conan than true Conan.
    True Conan was more of a thief than Arnie Conan. A lot of the stories depict him wearing nothing but a silk girdle or loincloth. It would all depend on where he was.

I'd much prefer a Thief type rogue with a free offhand and a dagger main hand, but I can definitely see the desire for the two-handed type. Fafhrd of Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar was also a huge barbarian thief that used a two-handed broadsword.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimsul View Post
    Actually a Blade Dancer>Riftblade combo would be quite sexy.... damn.
    You can't combine different type of souls: Blade Dancer is a Rogue and Riftblade is a Warrior.

Rift Disciple forestwhitakereye's Avatar

I have no objection to a 2h rogue as being out of flavor or anything. A 2h weapon can do the same dps as two 1h weapons, with only slight differences. A 2h weapon has more instantaneous damage at the start, but that's not out of character for a rogue, since we expect other classes to be able to backstab. 2h weapons tend to be more streaky in their damage than two 1h, so it would be tougher for such a rogue to control their aggro, but hey, it's your funeral.

I think my biggest objection (if I actually had an objection) would be due to a lack of synergy between trees. Right now we're already seeing souls like the Nightblade where their fire and death damage doesn't yet lend itself towards combining with other trees. If there was a rogue tree that favored 2h weapons and had talents that buffed them, it would make it difficult to want to combine this tree with others in the calling. Even if the 2h still allows stealth, it might still prevent backstabs, gouges, and make the poisoning/enchanting of 2 weapons suboptimal if they didn't increase potency for a single 2h, making it that much more unattractive as a support tree.

I approve of a stealth class using a two-handed weapon.

Actually, I have a class just like that in my er, upcoming MMO, but er, we're not ready to talk about that yet.

Rogues aren't only the assassin type of rogues. Rogues represent so many classes, it's not funny. You have the bard, a rogue who is skill based and uses songs to encourage others, you have the ranger, who is a ranged rogue, masters of the wild, you have the swashbuckler, more of an in your face rogue.

Rogues are more than just the two dagger wielding assassins most MMO's make them out to be. They are specialized in most weapon types, they usually but not always sacrifice armour for mobility and the freedom to move around more easily. They love to sneak around, but some like the thug and the swashbuckler don't really care about stealth. They aren't really a defined class in limits, but rather a class with lots of opportunities. Their characteristics are usually one primary, opportunistic and always trying to be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimsul View Post
    that still wouldn't allow sneaking around.
    but what really separates the Rogues from the fighters in such circumstances?
    cunning, wits, clever use of terrain, misleading, etc.. etc.. those are what define a rogue.
    But that's exactly my point. What we've been presented with so far (in basically every MMOG) is more of an Arnie Conan style thief/rogue. There is teleporting in combat, quick disappearing, but that seems like that's it. From what I've seen there is no 'click to activate stealth to bypass this content entirely' or 'remain stealthed for the ultimate position for a 1-2 shot kill', and there certainly isn't any misdirection by using the terrain.

I think we are likely still a good half-dozen years before MMOGs have true stealth like the Thief series presented us with.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Stavr View Post
    You can't combine different type of souls: Blade Dancer is a Rogue and Riftblade is a Warrior.
    I'm completely aware of that. This was purely a "what if" statement on a whim.

Anyways, rogues are often considered a resourceful bunch. If no weapon present they're going to be the first one to pick up a chair/pool cue/Bar stein and drill it over the back of your head.

I haven't seen any real reason to prevent it. It adds flavor.

The only thing I can really see is that 2handers are seen in a light of not having "finesse" and rogues are seen as being all about said "Finesse."

but some of the more sinister/slimier or thuggish rogues wouldn't be about finesse than just plain dirty fighting.

Sounds almost like a monk with stealth

I wouldn't call it that though as people from other games might insist it be a viable tank.

how about you think up some names and write out a skill set. You never know it might catch on and get some attention.

I'd like to play a four handed rogue and he can dual wield 2 handed weapons. I mock your puny 2handed rogue.
    Video of best Mage spec in action! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

Sounds like a great idea to me

I would hope the rogues are allowed to be 2-handed... Otherwise you wouldn't be able t dual wield...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast