+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Paladin.

Default Let's Talk Paladin.

Hello my fellow knights. Now that the Paladin class has been announced, there seems to be little information known about the class. Therefore, let's talk more in detail about the Paladin. Here is what we know so far:

We know that the Paladin is holy warrior of god (defensive-based in nature), and that he/she will depend on the usage of heavy shields for tanking and skill execution. We also know that he/she will possess some divine abilities as well.

With that being said, some of the curiosities I have are:

What about the divine blessings and auras? Do they exist for certain? What are they? Will they be self-based or party-based?

Will there be any divine gifts or protection spells such as Divine Favor, Divine Shield, Bless Weapon, etc? Again, self-based or party-based?

What type of divine healing skills or spells will exist? What about a rescue Lay on Hands type of skill?

Will there be any other innate divine-based abilities such as Protection From Evil, Divine Might, Smite, etc?

What innate warrior abilities are there? Surely Block and Taunt type abilities will exist. How about a party-based defend or cover with the heavy shield?

Does a Skill Listing or Soul Tree Video exist? If so, I have not been able to locate them.

Surely someone has played the class. What was it like? Was it fun? What were the divine-based abilities/spells like?

Come on all you holy warriors out there, let's discuss the Paladin. Any information, feedback or speculation that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Lord_Weasel; 09-15-2010 at 12:08 AM.

I really don't know how paladins are going to play out in this game, since the lore will make them so complex, but I'm excited t find out.

They aren't really holy warriors of god, since in Telara there are "Gods" and we aren't sure the gods are pure beings. They let a lot of bad stuff go down in the past, and have seemed to abandon Telaran mortals for a long time. They also appear to be more human like, similar to the greek gods, as we know at least one of them 'regulos' plans to wipe out the hero's the first chance he gets. But I'm in agreement that paladins will probably get some of their powers from the blessings of the various gods, and I think this has already been stated in the lore.

Its also a bit confusing to separate good from evil vs life from death. From a planar prospective, the plane of life and the plane of death are both pretty bad places, since invasions from both result in a bunch of foul tempered creatures appearing and pretty much killing everything they run across. Neither seems to be more good or bad, they are both chaotic forces trying to invade our world. On the flip side, it appears there is also a 'light' and 'dark' motif that corresponds more with the gods, with Regulos representing dark power trying to kill the Telarans while 'light' powers attempt to protect them.

To my knowledge there is no skill tree up yet for the Paladins. I think they will probably be the pure tank class along with reavers. So far it looks like the base souls for each calling represent the 'stereotypical' form of each archtype - for the clerics the sentinel and purifier are classic 'healers', and I imagine the paladin and reaver will be the classic 'tanks'. Their style will probably vary a bit, reavers will use life taps and self heals while paladins will you protective auras to mitigate damage, if I had to guess.
    Behold the turtle of enormous girth, on his shell he holds the earth.

It's things like this that make me wonder how closely they are going to follow their own lore in this game.

As far as I know, any side can be any soul (although they may have some different starting souls to choose from) and any race can be any soul. Now, if paladins are truly "warriors of God" which it does say in the character description, how will that work for Defiant if their whole thing is about NOT worshipping Gods, but rather, technology? Will paladins change in that case? Will they have different skills or lore depending on if they are Defiant, or will they just not be an available class to play as a Defiant?

Also, it says on the soul description, "This martial skill, and the divine blessings of their patron gods, allows Paladins to extend their protection to nearby allies" So yes, it looks like their blessings will extend to party members, however this may be only with high up talents as there are other classes with buffs that can extend to party members if you put enough points into the tree.

I assume they will be able to heal based on paladin lore, but traditionally, paladins aren't great healers. They might have one or two skills to help with healing, one may be a self heal (see Shaman) and possibly a HoT blessing/aura or something. I doubt they will be full on group healers, more like support healers if they can in fact heal. It seems like they are going to mostly be tanks that defend well against physical melee damage more than anything, but not particularly good with range or magic. This leads me to believe that they will be paired well with void knights for anti-magic and magic defense, and maybe rift blades for some ranged damage or champion for more physical damage. Paladins are usually buffing knights in heavy armor so I would say he will be more of a buffer with some kind of aura system (since they seem to have a lot of activated buffs for a lot of other classes) rather than a WoW healer like you are suggesting. I am guessing they are going to be sort of a tanking bard.

Ciovala said that from what she observed at Gamescom, paladins don't feel very WoWish at all. As for the lore, supposedly the Defiant side makes pacts with spirits and lesser gods to get their power...its in one of the threads somewhere. We'll see what happens.

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

Paladin was one of the souls I got to try at PAX but it was late on Sunday for me and my videocam was out of space!

However, paladin seemed like a standard 'tank' to me and not like a WoW paladin, and only a little like the AD&D one in terms of having some lay on hands skill with a cooldown. Personally a name like Crusader would have fit better for them I think. If I recall correctly (and this is a few weeks back now!), a paladin was more single target focused and a reaver was better at multiple or at least the talents were more along that line. However, the tank in the instance runs I went on was a paladin and didn't have a big problem holding threat against multiple targets from what I could see (my experience personally playing one was solo play - I was a warden in the instances).

Definitely don't get too hung up on whatever concept you have in your mind about them from other games! Oh, I can't recall buffs and things from them, sorry...didn't play long enough.

A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

Quote Originally Posted by Ciovala View Post
    Paladin was one of the souls I got to try at PAX but it was late on Sunday for me and my videocam was out of space!

However, paladin seemed like a standard 'tank' to me and not like a WoW paladin, and only a little like the AD&D one in terms of having some lay on hands skill with a cooldown. Personally a name like Crusader would have fit better for them I think. If I recall correctly (and this is a few weeks back now!), a paladin was more single target focused and a reaver was better at multiple or at least the talents were more along that line. However, the tank in the instance runs I went on was a paladin and didn't have a big problem holding threat against multiple targets from what I could see (my experience personally playing one was solo play - I was a warden in the instances).

Definitely don't get too hung up on whatever concept you have in your mind about them from other games! Oh, I can't recall buffs and things from them, sorry...didn't play long enough.
    You played a warden? Spill!

From what I remember reading, paladin is more a protector of the people, protector of the weak in this lore, than a warrior of the God(s). Since I am having to guess, havent saw any gameplay or skills yet, I would think they sort of resemble a guardian in lotro, based off shield ablitlies and reactions to blocks/parries. I'm sure there will be more to it than that, but thats what I am getting. If so it would be pretty nice, working with reactives was fun in lotro.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Weasel View Post
    What about the divine blessings and auras? Do they exist for certain? What are they? Will they be self-based or party-based?
    Party as far as I could tell. A couple of the Warrior souls have their on auras. These stack if you're in multiple trees.

Will there be any divine gifts or protection spells such as Divine Favor, Divine Shield, Bless Weapon, etc? Again, self-based or party-based?
    There was a self buff based on the secondary strike that increased blocking for 15 seconds.

What type of divine healing skills or spells will exist? What about a rescue Lay on Hands type of skill?
    Single Lay of Hands type heal. did not see any others.

Will there be any other innate divine-based abilities such as Protection From Evil, Divine Might, Smite, etc?
    No clue off the top of my head.

What innate warrior abilities are there? Surely Block and Taunt type abilities will exist. How about a party-based defend or cover with the heavy shield?
    Nothing innate, it all comes from the soul tree.

Does a Skill Listing or Soul Tree Video exist? If so, I have not been able to locate them.
    Kilrathi filmed them, but the video came out poor. Sorry about that.

Surely someone has played the class. What was it like? Was it fun? What were the divine-based abilities/spells like?
    It felt like the WoW Paladin, being a defensive block tank for the most part. More of my abilities were in the Reaver tree so I couldn't tell you much more than that.

Most MMO forums wars are over the Game vs World divide. Which side are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by Automaticzen View Post
    Party as far as I could tell. A couple of the Warrior souls have their on auras. These stack if you're in multiple trees.

There was a self buff based on the secondary strike that increased blocking for 15 seconds.

Single Lay of Hands type heal. did not see any others.

No clue off the top of my head.

Nothing innate, it all comes from the soul tree.

Kilrathi filmed them, but the video came out poor. Sorry about that.

It felt like the WoW Paladin, being a defensive block tank for the most part. More of my abilities were in the Reaver tree so I couldn't tell you much more than that.
    Btw, thanks for this Automaticzen.

I am very excited to see what the Paladin has to offer. and that 4th Tank option what could it be?! yumm yumm.

I have experience in playing Paladins in many games both digital and the old school paper and dice mechanics.

I enjoyed the carefree Wow Paladin that can Choose to Heal, Tank or DPS.
    I absolutely enjoyed the Vanguard Paladin mechanic! This was a true soloists tank!
    The everquest 1 & 2 versions of the Paladin was very close to paper and dice, and served to be entertaining!

The non-mmo versions of paladins in games over the last few years have always been a kick to experiment with as well!

The DND, AD&D, 2.0, 3.0 ect paper and dice versions on the Paladin were a kick to play as well!

I enjoy playing tanking classes, I enjoy playing Hybridized Tanking classes even more!

I can't wait to get more detail on the paladin architype for Rifts!

Default Pally community

Lets form a community to keep in touch with latest news and rumour about paladin

Join http://forums.riftgame.com/group.php (pally community) group
    Seeking for the friendly atmosphere hardcore based guild.....

Shadowlander

I was really excited when I heard about the Paladin. This might have been said but I have a question, when I go to Rift wiki it says that paladin will be a Guardian exclusive soul. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I have only been reading up on the game for a little over a week so I may very well be wrong in saying, I think the paladin is a "heroic class". As far as I understand it the heroic classes are only available after attaining a certain level and from the looks of you post possibly a certain class.
    Last edited by Weelord_Nadol; 11-01-2010 at 04:13 PM.

In warrior class you can make like a tank with some heals ,that will kind of tank that is viable in pvp to

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Weelord_Nadol View Post
    I have only been reading up on the game for a little over a week so I may very well be wrong in saying, I think the paladin is a "heroic class". As far as I understand it the heroic classes are only available after attaining a certain level and from the looks of you post possibly a certain class.
    Paladin is a starting soul for the Guardians and a heroic soul for the Defiant, or so it seems. There can be Defiant Paladins, just like there can be Guardian Reavers, you just need to complete a soul collection quest and unlock it for yourself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast