+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Necro Community

Plane Touched

Default Necro Community

OK I know that we are still awaiting to see what other classes they are going to release but seeing as how many people are migrating here from VG and EQ as well as other games, I figured Id start a thread for all of us undead out there kinda of see what everyone who has been a necro in other games would like to see in this one.

Personally, I always loved how EQ and VG necros were designed. Control of undead pets/minions, DOT based, could kite or reverse kite. Heal our own pets as well as as kinda heal others, ressurect others although through a dark means (liked vg's way better, gaining soul shards via necropsy as opposed to EQ's having to sacrafice a player to get an essence emerald) Basically we could do a little bit of everything but were the best at sustained dmg. Any other ideas, comments, etc. let em flow and show some necro lovin :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dallammarr View Post
    show some necro lovin :-)
    That's illegal in most places :P

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Eldran View Post
    That's illegal in most places :P
    Hey...undead people need love too...

If Nero is made as a pet class and i hope they do it right.

In most game's pets was walking Dot's that did next to nothing AOC version was a waste of time you summon like 5 and they do nothing but look funny at the enemy as you do all the work.

I just hope if the class is added the power come's form the undead we summon and not just our own magic damage.
    Last edited by Fayde; 05-04-2010 at 06:44 AM.
    Death is great people are dying to get there.

Death is great it's the cure to Life.

I'll play a Necro if I'm not stuck as second tier DPS with no useful raid utility.

BTW hi Dal!
    Retired.

Nearest thing to a Necromancer I've ever played was a Warlock in WoW, and when I did that, and then watched my friend (who is an awesome Lock btw, even when they've been massively nerfed), I realised that a ranged DPS pet class was not my thing. Or rather I was decent, but nowhere near super.

I'd like to see curses have a big effect for a Necromancer style class, or even better a class focusing purely on curses, a Witch! And when I say curses I don't just mean basic DoTs and - Stat debuffs and stuff, I mean I don't know, curses that blind players or cause a part of their armour to become useless for a bit. The kind that you set up in advance and then trigger the last word. I suppose I'm just a sucker for what I like to call a 'ritual mage' style class.

But also, undead minions are super-cool.
    i <3 tbroc

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Fayde View Post
    If Nero is made as a pet class and i hope they do it right.

In most game's pets was walking Dot's that did next to nothing AOC version was a waste of time you summon like 5 and they do nothing but look funny at the enemy as you do all the work.

I just hope if the class is added the power come's form the undead we summon and not just our own magic damage.
    Depends on how its designed, some games design a necro as a dps class that primarily utilizes dots to weaken and damage them as well as siphon its life and enegry slowly. Other games have designed it as a more pet dependant class where the necros pet was about 35% to 40% of the class. Seeing as how the elementalist is going to be a pet based class, that tells me that while necros will have control of some kind of pet or minion, i dont think it will be a pet dependant class and therefor can survive with out it much like in EQ and other games. This again is all speculation ofcorse but if they make the necro more pet dependant with a permanent pet that through grafts or something that you get from killing enemies, you can make it stronger that would be great but again thats what was done in VG and i know trion is going for something new so we will see.

btw hey Tral

I liked AoC's idea with the Necro, but they didn't do it right. I would love to have an army of undead minions, but only if they actually did something.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    I liked AoC's idea with the Necro, but they didn't do it right. I would love to have an army of undead minions, but only if they actually did something.
    Well so far of the mmo's ive played I enjoyed VG's necro the most. It was basically and EQ necro with a twist. The VG necro was the pet class of VG. You had a persistant pet called an abomination which you first got at level 10, then an upgrade at 30 then again at 50 and last upgrade at 55. As you killed other mobs you could "necropsy" grafts to put on your pet to make it stronger, tank better, proc life taps or dd's or poison dots, even had grafts that changes its appearance. You add to its own ability to life tap through grafts, you had an instant pet heal adn a hot as well as a buff to increase its dps. Aside from the persistant pet, you could summon up minions. 1 minion from level 1 to about 30 2 minions after level 30 and then 3 at 55. these minions ranged form reanimating a corpse of somethign you killed, to a guardian which didnt do much dmg but could taunt something off you and tank it half decent, you then got skeletal archers which do ok dmg, after that was a plague bearer which would debuff and then finally you got a minion that dep on your form would heal you for like 250hp/6 sec or restore mana. Lich form accolyte heals, wriath restores mana. these minions will not only keep you healed but heal you pet as well so needless to say, add those babies with bloodfeast which drains your hp into mana, your own lifetap dot and standard lifetaps and other dots, mix in a lil fd, your abom can tank most things with the right grafts while you sit back and your minions keep you and the pet healed. you get the picture. By far the best necro design ive seen. EQ's necro had a skele pet which was pretty much just extra dps, couldnt tank for crap and you got aa's that would allow you to bring out like 15 skele archers for a little while to do extra dmg but not much.

edit: also wants to add that although im no where near what you would call hardcore but there were quite a few hardcore VG necros out there that according to their parses would fall in the 3rd and 4th place for dps on raids so again VG necros although primarily dot classes, still did pretty decent DPS on a raid too and were always welcomed. Put it to ya this way, I was never turned down for a grp or raid op cause i was a necro in vg like i was in EQ.
    Last edited by dallammarr; 05-04-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Seeing as how the elementalist is going to be a pet based class, that tells me that while necros will have control of some kind of pet or minion, i dont think it will be a pet dependant class and therefor can survive with out it much like in EQ and other games.
    If there are 32 classes and divided in 4 basic groups, that means 8 mage classes.

I think there's room in there for more than one pet dependant class.

Well so far of the mmo's ive played I enjoyed VG's necro the most. It was basically and EQ necro with a twist. The VG necro was the pet class of VG. You had a persistant pet called an abomination which you first got at level 10, then an upgrade at 30 then again at 50 and last upgrade at 55. As you killed other mobs you could "necropsy" grafts to put on your pet to make it stronger, tank better, proc life taps or dd's or poison dots, even had grafts that changes its appearance. You add to its own ability to life tap through grafts, you had an instant pet heal adn a hot as well as a buff to increase its dps. Aside from the persistant pet, you could summon up minions. 1 minion from level 1 to about 30 2 minions after level 30 and then 3 at 55. these minions ranged form reanimating a corpse of somethign you killed, to a guardian which didnt do much dmg but could taunt something off you and tank it half decent, you then got skeletal archers which do ok dmg, after that was a plague bearer which would debuff and then finally you got a minion that dep on your form would heal you for like 250hp/6 sec or restore mana. Lich form accolyte heals, wriath restores mana. these minions will not only keep you healed but heal you pet as well so needless to say, add those babies with bloodfeast which drains your hp into mana, your own lifetap dot and standard lifetaps and other dots, mix in a lil fd, your abom can tank most things with the right grafts while you sit back and your minions keep you and the pet healed. you get the picture. By far the best necro design ive seen. EQ's necro had a skele pet which was pretty much just extra dps, couldnt tank for crap and you got aa's that would allow you to bring out like 15 skele archers for a little while to do extra dmg but not much.

edit: also wants to add that although im no where near what you would call hardcore but there were quite a few hardcore VG necros out there that according to their parses would fall in the 3rd and 4th place for dps on raids so again VG necros although primarily dot classes, still did pretty decent DPS on a raid too and were always welcomed. Put it to ya this way, I was never turned down for a grp or raid op cause i was a necro in vg like i was in EQ.

I did like that in Vanguard, how you could customize your pet. I also liked how you could raise the body of your slain opponent to do your bidding. Hopefully we see abilities like that and the Simulacrum that the Psionicist had.

Plane Touched

@eldran

true, which may very well be the case, but hard to say, things can change at any moment in the early stages of a game so i am just crossing my fingers and hoping to see what comes.
    Last edited by dallammarr; 05-04-2010 at 01:20 PM.

A possibly sad thought for the necro-lovers....

Maybe necromancy will be a subset of the elementalist class?

If you read the elementalist description they specifically tie these to the elemental planes. One of those is death.

Well I shall pursue the path of the dead, no matter how I have to accomplish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldran View Post
    A possibly sad thought for the necro-lovers....

Maybe necromancy will be a subset of the elementalist class?

If you read the elementalist description they specifically tie these to the elemental planes. One of those is death.
    Highly unlikely. The Elementalist and Necromancer (Grave Lord) would be two different classes both descendant of the Mage, if anything. Even then, I believe we'll be seeing a melee Necromancer in Rift, not a ranged caster like the Elementalist.

Just theorycraft though. ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast