+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calling and Souls Equipment

Default Calling and Souls Equipment

I am curious how equipment for each soul will work. It seems that some souls have preferred equipments.

For example, it was mentioned that Riftblade is warrior soul who uses spear and shield along with magic. And, lets say paladin, just for example, uses 1 hand sword and a shield. Are their abilities strictly for their preferred weapon ? Will some abilities be disabled if you do not have the right weapon equipped ?

I would like to hear information on this. Would appreciate if someone who experienced the game can give an answer.

Prophecy

Quote Originally Posted by Xavath View Post
    For example, it was mentioned that Riftblade is warrior soul who uses spear and shield along with magic. And, lets say paladin, just for example, uses 1 hand sword and a shield. Are their abilities strictly for their preferred weapon ? Will some abilities be disabled if you do not have the right weapon equipped ?
    For Paladin certainly; They are focusing on reactive moves based around the shield. Riftblade, no clue.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

This is one of the things I really like about GW2. I like that a portion of your skills come from which weapon you have equipped.

It would be a lot of work to open up more weapon types to the different callings, but it would be awesome if the equipped weapon modified the souls' skills somewhat.

I actually hope so, as I plan on being a void knight/paladin, or the other way around, I may not have to worry, but still, I like the preffered weapon types being used for some skills...makes more sense.

I assume you'll be able to use just about any skill with any class. I mean, sure, if there are some Paladin skills that say "you must have a shield equipped to use shield bash" or whatever, for example, obviously you can't use that skill if you have a two handed sword. But that's the same as in every game.

If you are a riftblade and you are using a shield and spear or something, and you have points into the paladin tree, then I assume you can use any shield related paladin skills with your shield as a riftblade. It would be silly not to allow you to use skills and force you to change weapons based on what skills you have. If you are talking about using a one handed sword with a riftblade who has a skill like "spear throw" or something, then there is a chance you wont be able to use it, but honestly that's not that different than a lot of games. That's like trying to fire a concussive arrow while having an axe equipped.

Even if that is the case, I'm sure it'll only be for one or two skills, not ALL of them. Most skills that I have seen that involve throwing weapons or whatever will say "throw your weapon". They don't specify which weapon, so I assume if you have a spear throw ability it will be more like a "weapon throw" ability that allows you to throw your weapon, whatever it is. Now, there might be a bonus to damage or something IF you are using a specific type of weapon, for example, a skill may say "throw your weapon to do 8 to 10 physical damage. Adds another 2 damage if you have a spear equipped." I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I don't see them limiting us that much.

If anything, a spear class will have talents that "increase damage with spears by 10%" or something, which will increase the damage of all physical skills you use your spear with by 10%. You would be able to use your sword to perform those attacks as well, they just simply wouldn't do as much damage. This is all hypothetical of course.
    Last edited by Scythras; 09-14-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Lets just hope theres enuff bag slots and enuff slots in bags to satisfy even the most insane builds needs for varied gear heh. Come to think of it, the whole need before greed thing pops to mind..."hey, Im a pally, that hammer is MADE for me" "nah man watch as I switch builds, see im a pally too and its made for ME" kinda thing. Not that Im particularly worried about it personally, gear is gear and Ill have all I need eventually but I know some folks are lootwhorish to put it bluntly..hopefully Rift builds and holds onto a more mature community than some other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Garmr View Post
    Lets just hope theres enuff bag slots and enuff slots in bags to satisfy even the most insane builds needs for varied gear heh. Come to think of it, the whole need before greed thing pops to mind..."hey, Im a pally, that hammer is MADE for me" "nah man watch as I switch builds, see im a pally too and its made for ME" kinda thing. Not that Im particularly worried about it personally, gear is gear and Ill have all I need eventually but I know some folks are lootwhorish to put it bluntly..hopefully Rift builds and holds onto a more mature community than some other games.
    From what I've read/heard, a lot of things in the game will reward everyone, not just one person. So in a lot of cases, everyone will get their own piece of loot rather than having one thing drop and 5 people fight over it. Probably not all the time, mind you, but certainly in rifts and most likely in instances as well. Maybe not huge raids or random grouping out in the world, but at least it's a step forward. Now if only it'll drop items based on how many points you have in a certain soul, that'll be something.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythras View Post
    Even if that is the case, I'm sure it'll only be for one or two skills, not ALL of them. Most skills that I have seen that involve throwing weapons or whatever will say "throw your weapon". They don't specify which weapon, so I assume if you have a spear throw ability it will be more like a "weapon throw" ability that allows you to throw your weapon, whatever it is. Now, there might be a bonus to damage or something IF you are using a specific type of weapon, for example, a skill may say "throw your weapon to do 8 to 10 physical damage. Adds another 2 damage if you have a spear equipped." I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I don't see them limiting us that much.
    I'm hoping they do something along these lines as well. The vaunted versatility of the soul system won't amount to much if you can't use most of the skills you know without constantly switching weapons. Even if you create macros to switch out weapons when using a particular skill, you then end up with the stupidity of switching weapons every other attack.

Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar

Two points:

1. Some of the souls have abilities that give bonuses to specific weapon types, such as maces for the Justicar.

2. I certainly hope all classes will be able to use a wide array of weapons. Personally, I would enjoy being able to use a sword on my mage. Even if I don't have any special attacks, you could still put spell mods on a sword. After all, Gandalf had Glamdring.

+ Reply to Thread