Closed Thread

Thread: Mage Tank

Default Mage Tank

Hi, I just wonder why Mage is the only one who cant Heal or Tank?
    It would have been cool to see a Tank Mage soul who create a force field and make the mage armor grow by how much his spell focus is. Add to that a dominator Taunt ability and its perfect.

Mage's can heal with chloromancer.

They also have the best CC soul in the entire game as well as one of the best buffing souls.
    Last edited by Korncob; 01-22-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Xfire/steam : Korncob

Telaran

I really dont no why..

A CC-based Mage Tank would be interesting, but I wouldn't go overboard. They're still squishy clothies.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Ahh, but the game isn't the problem. The problem is that someone who can neither write nor think is inexplicably unhappy with something.

Quote Originally Posted by Selgin View Post
    A CC-based Mage Tank would be interesting, but I wouldn't go overboard. They're still squishy clothies.
    Well imagine a Mage armor thing who drain mana for each hit done on you. With high mana regen ability and Threat booster this could be really fun.

Soulwalker

Why do you need a mage to tank anyway? If you want to tank and use magic shouldn't you be a paly or something.

As a Chloromancer I end up tanking most RIFTs/Invasions due to dmg+healing aggro.
    Last edited by adeQuaTe; 01-22-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    50 Adequate - Seastone - Cleric - Defiant
    50 Adequate - Laethys - Mage - Guardian

Plane Touched

Indeed, also true with Pyromancer, in my experience. As soon as you get Fire Storm (15 points in) your life turns into a whole mess of pain. Sure, you're doing dream-like damage, but it really has to be a perfect situation of threat/aggro/focus where all the mobs are on other targets so you can spam Fire Storm.

Basically if you can get one Fire Storm off, you're lucky. Two? Never seen it happen. During the second burn, one of the mobs (at least) will always peel off and come pound the Mage juice out of you.

The REAL question for AE spec'd Mages is: Is there a Warrior, Cleric, or Rogue soul that has an AE taunt? Cause if you could get that, you'd have something seriously powerful going on.

Quote Originally Posted by d5akhtby View Post
    The REAL question for AE spec'd Mages is: Is there a Warrior, Cleric, or Rogue soul that has an AE taunt? Cause if you could get that, you'd have something seriously powerful going on.
    Well Justicar have a skill who attack 2 enemy at the time. Up to 5 with the talent at max. It should be alright for most of the situation. And if he put his Rightous Mandate on you, well you are pretty much okay since he heal you all the time.
    http://rift-planner.com/#?archetype=...17,5_&lang=eng

How long can a fully specced Elemental pet tank the level 27 instance boss? How about the necro pet? How good is the taunt?

Prophet of Telara

Elementalist pet reportedly tanks pretty well, when fully specced and given decent support. They've certainly been used to tank instances, some heroics and apparently even a rift or two.

I didn't put many points into pet upgrades on my SC/Ele/Dom last beta... but he off-tanked pretty well in a couple of groups with whom I did instances. You have to micro-manage his ability usage a bit, but it works well enough. I'm sure that with full points invested and good healing he could probably take the damage from most mobs - though you'd have to have a healer around that could handle some spike damage.

I'm told that he held aggro well during a big battle against a mob with 20+ other people attacking it and in other mass PvE content - though I'm guessing that would have to have been the Grtr Earth Ele, because I could take aggro off my lesser earth Ele when I was soloing... never mind with 20 people pounding on the mob. Though perhaps having so many people works out better for him tanking in Rift's aggro AI... I don't know exactly how it works... so who knows?

Anyhoo... it seems that you can do a lot tank-wise with the Earth Ele. It's at least a bit of an option.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 01-22-2011 at 11:19 AM.

A necro/lock/chloro spec can be a pet tank spec. An elementalist build can also pet tank. MTing raids may be possible, but for leveling content a mage's pet with either pet soul can definitely tank 5 mans and rifts, as many people have shown.

Ehh it doesnt really make sense that a mage could be able to tank.

If you have a tank tree, then combining it with two DPS trees and you've got a glass cannon that is made of 5 inch reinforced steel.

it wouldnt really make sense, at least not in my mind.
    but you do have a powerful heal tree, and a very powerful CC tree. You're not exactly stuck for options.

Anlyon Cleric Deepstrike
    Death pays all debts

Quote Originally Posted by XtremElement View Post
    Elementalist pet reportedly tanks pretty well, when fully specced and given decent support. They've certainly been used to tank instances, some heroics and apparently even a rift or two.

I didn't put many points into pet upgrades on my SC/Ele/Dom last beta... but he off-tanked pretty well in a couple of groups with whom I did instances. You have to micro-manage his ability usage a bit, but it works well enough. I'm sure that with full points invested and good healing he could probably take the damage from most mobs - though you'd have to have a healer around that could handle some spike damage.

I'm told that he held aggro well during a big battle against a mob with 20+ other people attacking it and in other mass PvE content - though I'm guessing that would have to have been the Grtr Earth Ele, because I could take aggro off my lesser earth Ele when I was soloing... never mind with 20 people pounding on the mob. Though perhaps having so many people works out better for him tanking in Rift's aggro AI... I don't know exactly how it works... so who knows?

Anyhoo... it seems that you can do a lot tank-wise with the Earth Ele. It's at least a bit of an option.

X
    combine a pet soul with the chloromancer and the pet is healed by your radiant spores and withering vine. Along with your other allies. Further combie that with a warlock soul's symbyisis and pet damage is thrown back to the mage as health. I think chloro+ pet class rocks

Closed Thread